Surgeon A J China concerned about smallpox

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
"Post Surgeons office Chattanooga Decemmber 29, 1862
Assistant Surgeon Alfed J China unwilling to remain on duty where he is liable to take smallpox is hereby relieved from duty at the Newsome Hospital and as there is no hospital under my charge in which he would not be as liable to take the disease as at the Newsome Hospital he is hereby ordered to report for duty without delay to Medical Director A. J. Foard Murfreesboro
Samuel H Stout
Post Surgeon"

Box 2G387 Samuel Hollingsworth Stout Records Briscoe Center for American History university of Austin Texas. Cassville Hospital Folder.

A J China was a surgeon sent to Cassville, Georgia later in the war. I like him a lot because he had such neat handwriting. Notice the Newsome Hospital was in Chattanooga but it also moved to Cassville and on down. Many hospitals were named Foard as well in Murfreesboro and throughout Georgia. It can get confusing at times. I don't blame China for his concerns as one soldier in Kingston who helped many soldiers named Doc Tippens also died from disease caring for soldiers.

AndyHall

Colonel
It's interesting that although he was an assistant surgeon, he had not been inoculated against smallpox. It was a well established practice at the time.