Supplying Federal Armies in the 'West.'

Tailor Pete

Sergeant
Howdy again, to all. I have what may seem to be a rather elementary question, but I feel it is important enough for in-depth discussion.

The U. S. Arsenal system seemed rather centralized toward the 'Eastern' portion the the nation, yet the Federal Army was spread throughout much of the country. Outside of private contracts, how and from where, were the U. S. Armies west of the Appalachians supplied?

Would there have been any quantity of supplies and equipment going 'Out West' from places like the Schuylkill Arsenal? Just curious, as I've often wondered if private contracts would have been able to supply such large armies.

Reactions: WJC
The western theatre of the war is generally understood to be Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. while the eastern theatre is like Virginia and such east coast states. However, there was some fighting in Texas and New Mexico if I recall but it was quite little compared to elsewhere. The Utah Territory provided troops that were sent across the country while troops from California were sent in during 1862 to keep watch on those Mormons. Fort Douglass in Utah was established during this time in order to prevent another secession as slavery was legal in the Utah Territory.

Equipment, arms and supplies were sent to centralized supply depots where it was the issued out as needed.

Generally the Regulars got first priority, the AoP, AoC, AoT etc.

As the war progressed the supply situation became more standardized and more effective and efficient.

There is a comment I’ve read from a MN soldier ( I paraphrase) Soldier from Minnesota, uniform from NY, canteen from Cincinnati, leathers from St Louis, ammo from Indianapolis and Rifle from Vermont. The whole US is in this.

Equipment, arms and supplies were sent to centralized supply depots where it was the issued out as needed.

Generally the Regulars got first priority, the AoP, AoC, AoT etc.

As the war progressed the supply situation became more standardized and more effective and efficient.

There is a comment I’ve read from a MN soldier ( I paraphrase) Soldier from Minnesota, uniform from NY, canteen from Cincinnati, leathers from St Louis, ammo from Indianapolis and Rifle from Vermont. The whole US is in this.

I really like that quote from Minnesota, and can suppose; "....his heart is in Minneapolis while his feet are in Virginia, and his head is in Washington City."

Lubliner.

Back