Sunday Coffee & the Civil War

It's been over 4 years since I visited an Eastern Theater battlefield. Spent the past 4 years mostly reading about, thinking about and visiting Trans-Mississippi and Western Theater sites. Been planning a June Eastern Theater trip since last June. Towards the end of last year,I wasn't really sure where I was going. Read about The Wilderness at the end of last year, Second Manassas at the beginning of this year and Antietam now. Looks like it's gonna be Antietam this June. As I am drinking my Sunday morning coffee,trying to decide what I might be able to do this month now that March is here.

It's been over 4 years since I visited an Eastern Theater battlefield. Spent the past 4 years mostly reading about, thinking about and visiting Trans-Mississippi and Western Theater sites. Been planning a June Eastern Theater trip since last June. Towards the end of last year,I wasn't really sure where I was going. Read about The Wilderness at the end of last year, Second Manassas at the beginning of this year and Antietam now. Looks like it's gonna be Antietam this June. As I am drinking my Sunday morning coffee,trying to decide what I might be able to do this month now that March is here.
either way bd it will be the road trip of a life time!
the only time i got thru Gettysburg when i was drivin for JCT & drug a 70' trailer round the round about downtown & leave out goin east was Not One place to pull over to take in what i was looking at,,i have cousins that live in the area & have invited me to come stay with them After 4 years time to Go !

well BD have you decided on a road trip yet>?

I guess id better introduce meself
Im Kitty O'Cairre here in Texas
i love military History , some areas more than others.
A lot of some of the Civil war subjects i learn from Yalls post & some dang good posts too!
Altho i am Not an 'Aficionado' like some of the forums & those that have posted.I just find different & varying facts of interests or the small things that are over look or prehaps forgotten, I am Not perfect & dont pretend to be by any means. I do how ever read those that post in the forums as one can truely learn from them ,. There are 'Two Sides to the Civil War' I d not bash someone for their opinion or View & it wont be 'put up with in this one either' as that seems to be one of the main Rules in CWT. i know one branch of my family were Confederate an one GGG grandad was in Stand Waties Cherokee Mounted Rifles . they stem from Harpers Ferry Va on down to Ky & Tn & Mo. Ok No tellin what ill find . LOL History is History,
I can be Corrected if facts or posted are incorrect but plain english Dont be a jackass about it.
Thanks CWT ,Mike & Some of the others i come to know here,
kitty

Enjoy Yalls Coffee & The CWT Forums This Mornin'
kitty

Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, who had 29 horses shot out from under him during the Civil War, was born on
Friday July 13 1821.

There was supposedly a private in the Confederate Army named Abraham Lincoln
The famed, Welsh explorer, and journalist Henry M. Stanley (right) - the guy who coined the phrase, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?"- served in the American Civil War. That is not all, he served in three different services. First, he served as a private in the
Confederate Army
, and was taken prisoner at the
Battle of Shiloh
in 1862. As a prisoner, he was recruited and joined the
Union Army
, but was discharged less than three weeks later due to illness. Finally, in 1864 he joined the Union Navy and served aboard the
USS Minnesota,
but he jumped ship in February 1865.
I guess he had more important things to do! Therefore, Stanley is possibly the only man to serve in both armies and one navy in the American Civil War...
And Lastly This i Found interesting/Amusing And have Never Read That our beloved General Robert E lee had a chicken with him in the Civil War
General Robert E
. Lee had a pet chicken named "Nellie" that laid an egg under his cot almost every morning...

Enjoy Yalls Coffee & The CWT Forums This Mornin'
kitty

Nathan_Bedford_Forrest Butternut.png

207xNxHenry_M_Stanley_1890.jpg.pagespeed.ic.uBmon3LrDU.jpg

general-robert-e-lee-linda-eades-blackburn.jpg

Last edited:
On This Day 9 March 1862
Battle of the Monitor and Merrimack, naval engagement during the American

Civil War on March 9 1862
at Hampton Roads, Virginia, a harbor at the mouth of the James River, notable as history’s first duel between ironclad warships and the beginning of a new era of naval warfare.

• Good Sunday Mornin Yall ! :smile coffee: 🍀
Well as i look thru & try to find interesting wee facts of the day .
i know some of yall have already 'know this' But im posting anyway! =)
For the newbies in the forums they may not know
Thank Yall so much for even stopping by...

1. During the Battle of Antietam, 12,401 Union men were killed, missing, or wounded—double the casualties of D-Day, 82 years later. With a total of 23,000 casualties on both sides, it was the bloodiest single day of the Civil War.
At Cold Harbor, Virginia, 7,000 Americans fell in 20 minutes.
The words "In God We Trust" first appeared on a U.S. coin in 1864.
Andersonville Prison in southwest Georgia held 33,000 prisoners in 1864. It was the fifth-largest city in the Confederacy.
More than 3 million men fought in the war.

Well Good Saturday Mornin Yall .:smile coffee:

just adding some apps for yall if your travelin' or Not.

Vicksburg Battle App
Download FREE | The Vicksburg Battle App® is the perfect Civil War touring partner for your exploration of one of the more remarkable campaigns of the American Civil War.

Gettysburg Battle App: July 2
Download FREE | The Gettysburg Battle App®: July 2 is the perfect tour partner for your visits to some of the Gettysburg battlefield's most famous places: Devil's Den and Little Round Top.

Brandy Station Battle App
Download FREE | The Brandy Station Battle App® is the perfect touring partner for your visits to site of the largest cavalry battle in North America.

Shiloh Battle App guide
Download FREE | Explore the Shiloh and Corinth battlefields with the American Battlefield Trust’s free Battle App ™ guide.

Bull Run Battle App
Download FREE | The Bull Run Battle App® is the perfect Civil War touring partner for your exploration of the Bull Run battlefield in Manassas, Virginia.

Antietam Trail Map App
Download FREE | The Antietam Trail Map App is the perfect companion for your visit to the Antietam National Battlefield.

Gettysburg Battle App
Richmond Battle App
Civil War Battle Maps app:smile coffee:

More Civil War Free Apps

Good Sunday Mornin' ☘ :smile coffee:
As i try to be a good 'host' so much of what ive posted im sure its already been posted 'somewhere! LOL but i do try =)
the Seven Days Campaign June 25–July 1, 1862 The Union Army of the Potomac just a few miles outside the Confederate Richmond capital,
General Lee siezed the initative & attacked the isolated Union Corps north of the Chickahominy River After the indecisive Battle of Oak Grove (June 25) 26 June at Mechanicsville,
in the few days to follow lees' army of Northern Va fought McClellans army at Gaines Hill, Savage Station, Frayers farm & Malvern Hill
photos of McClellan & Lee *

Confederate Victory
A Union withdrawal from the Peninsula.

Seven Days' Battles: Union field hospital
Union field hospital, Savage's Station, Virginia, photograph by James F. Gibson, June 30, 1862.​
Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. (LC-B8171-0491 DLC

McClellan+Lee.jpg

field-hospital-Union-photograph-Virginia-Savages-Station-June-30-1862.jpg

seven-days-battles-overview.jpg

well Good Sunday Mornin Yall ☘ :smile coffee: :sneaky:
as there are so many wonderful & informative forums & tip my felt to their hosts.
i can only hope to learn from yall about some great subjects here.
Altho im not sure if this be a 'respective' piece of history.I found it quite full on Civil War History. but pertaining in part to the Union side of things..
After researching an coming across various subjects,, an you tube videos .books.
I learned not only was Nashville Tn was famous for their music but among being the Northern 'Hot Spot' for the 'Soiled Doves'
and 1845 & A Notorious Northern General Joseph 'Fighting Joe' Hooker. hence the term for the 'Ladies' aka Hookers'
Some of the famous 'brothels' that were at the time in nashville The bordellos were 'named' Ft Sumter. the Iron Clad Headquarters USA Madame Russells Bake Oven Madame Waltons Residence for the Ladies.'
August 20 1863 The Great Experiment 'Pay as you Go' was made law' George Spaulding Lt Col & Provost Marshall
made 'Prostitution ' legal. way before Las Vegas ever did as where The 'Ladies' came in were checked for five dollars & given a certificate of good health every two weeks as they were checked for their health status. So Nashville Tn is where it 'All Started'. But hadn't heard of the origin of the activities until i came across the book * documentary of it all. Nashville was a very Busy place in that time ,,
But The History as it was recorded for the Northern boys i didn't not come across anything as of yet for the south.
This just a very Small part of this Interesting History.
Enjoy yalls day !

:smile coffee: :sneaky:

s-l1600.jpg

georgespalding1863.jpg

Last edited:
Ok group Not sure where i needed to post these But a wee bit 'triva' pprehaps? aint sure
Well These are Located in various locations in Gettysburg ..i do But just testing yall =)
Do you Know Where & What they are/attached to/part of?
well give lite to the source Afterwards ..=)

91740667_2971917799538264_9144257523786711040_n.jpg

91420947_2971917806204930_4497715457750466560_n.jpg

91620164_2971917832871594_3511496485898289152_n.jpg

Back