Sumter Provocation

This as i wrote, and gave Anderson correspsondence on, refers to the Jan/Feb period.

The Jan/Feb time period is not relevant as its in March when the food shortage starts...

edit... Andersons letter is dated the 17th of March. Once again its March when the food supplies are starting to run out, and its this time period that hes decribing his food supply being inteferred with in the letter not Jan/Feb. Why during this time period would he write the CSA government about inteferrence in Jan/Feb if it had in your mind already been cleared up? That doesnt make any sense...

Hello everyone, I've been away for a week and thought I'd take a little time to catch up with the site. Being a fairly predictable, sensible sort of fellow I started on this thread cause it's on top. I started reading at page 10 and have plowed my way to here. I think I need a nap but I'll give to B. peach the side argument of how many civilians were in the fort at surrender. As to the main bone of contention I didn't come across anything that would cause me to change my basic understanding of what was going on in the fort.

43 or 55; twelve mouths aren't going to make much of a difference in figuring out how many days they can hold out. But my point being the only OR that I have run across that describes the number of civilians shows 55.. Maybe 12 left but I haven't seen any official record of them doing it, or how many were in the fort at the end...And if someones going to insist the number is 43 I'd like to see a primary record that supports it ..So far there hasn't been, just secondary refenerences.. And if someone is going to call me incorrect I would expect them to have a primary source that supersedes the one I posted...

The state of supplies within the fort was, in any case, not germaine the csa's firing on Sumter.. It was Beauregard's intent to attack the Fort, as soon as he was assured, in his opinion, the attack would be successful (if it was not surrendered before).
The fact that Beauregard received enough men and ammunition, to make him confident of assured success, at the same time that a few hours before the resupply ships arrived, was pure happenstance, i.e., as soon as that ammunition arrived, Beauregard was committed to demanding immediate surrender of Ft. Sumter or reducing it by gunfire, whether there would have been a resupply effort or not.

Now lets further remind you of you inability to spell words of places, and understand events occuring at them.

You made an incorroct cit from the OR, in post 392, the only cite you provided on rations, it appears no where in the OR, you suggest you got the page wrong, you did not, you inveted an amount, you went to claim ina later post "I found another reference on pg 273 of First Blood by Swanberg which is darned near verbatim to my original post."

In fact the eleven codfish is the title of chapter XXIV, and is the only time the phrase is in the book, and refers to the 11 CS states.http://books.google.com/books?id=Akt3AAAAMAAJ&q=eleven+codfish#search_anchor On;line version here.

Twice you made a false representaion of facts, troll seems insufiecent a term for you, i think D Irving suits you better.

I just received this book and wanted to look up the information that Shane posted and what did I find..I found that your condemnation of this post and your interpetation about the codfish is incorrect the eleven cod does refer to the eleven fish that the laborers had left to eat and not the Southern states as you declare..Its the title of the chapter and does occur in the text in the listing of the food left to the laborers...

Originally Posted by B Peach
Now lets further remind you of you inability to spell words of places, and understand events occuring at them.

You made an incorroct cit from the OR, in post 392, the only cite you provided on rations, it appears no where in the OR, you suggest you got the page wrong, you did not, you inveted an amount, Twice you made a false representaion of facts, troll seems insufiecent a term for you, i think D Irving suits you better.
Correct page is O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME 1 [S# 1] CHAPTER I. Page 243 Facts, not page number were accuract. A few moments of actual research would have revealed this to B Peach.
"In returning from the city Lieutenant Snyder called for the mail at Fort Johnson, where he also took on board a small supply of beef and cabbages, which had come from the city the day before, too late for our boat. Soon after the return of the boat from town, the cutter moved her anchorage to a position about four hundred yards from the left shoulder angle. My force is now at work putting up splinter-proof traverses on the terre-plein.
My supplies of provisions that I laid in before the commencement of the investment were yesterday reduced to one half-barrel of cornmeal, one-seventh barrel of grits, and eleven codfish. Everything else that is necessary for the support of the Engineer force is drawn from the scanty stores of the commandThere appears to be no unusual activity in the surrounding batteries, owing, perhaps, to a high wind which has prevailed for three days.
I inclose a sketch of the batteries and number of guns, based upon the observations of Lieutenant Snyder. Captain Talbot can give you any detailed information that may be required.
I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. G. FOSTER,
Captain, Engineers".

The only provocation to war at Ft. Sumter was the firing on Federal personnel and the flag of the People of The United States of America.
Maj. Anderson removed himself and his command to Ft. Sumter, for the specific purpose of avoiding any chance of provoking violence that might lead to war.
But, it developed that Davis and the csa gov't came to the conclusion that what was needed to validate both secession and southern independence in one neat package, was, in fact, by provoking a war.(the south was bound to have a war, whether the Ft. was supplied or not, because it' gov't decided a war was needed)

sumter-X3.jpg

or this might be easier

sumtera-XL.jpg

sumterc-XL.jpg

So according to Crawford he told Anderson that they could hold out for 5 more days, but with three of them being without food..Since his reply was sent back on the 11th then by the end of the day on the 13th the fort would be out of supplies...For those of those not familiar with Crawford, he was an interesting man who was the surgeon and medical officer assigned to Andersons command.

Back