Sulfur Springs Trestle

Jon G.

Sergeant
Is the Sulfur Springs Trestle the same as the Sulfur Branch Trestle? I recently read a first person account written by someone among Forrest's artillery men and thought it was but not entirely sure. Some details sounded as I remember reading before but some details seemed different. Understandably so perhaps because I've always read from a perspective inside instead of outside.....and I'd just never heard it called that, or maybe forgot.:confused:

Regards to all,
Jon G.

Jon G, Yes they are the same. The creek has as its head waters a spring as well as several other valleys that converge in to the main stream.

Richard.

Jon G, Yes they are the same. The creek has as its head waters a spring as well as several other valleys that converge in to the main stream.

Richard.

Thanks lots for that Richard! I didn't want to assume it was and was hoping someone might chime in before I started researching and comparing all the things mentioned in all I've read about it.

This is the article I mentioned, the first I've read looking in instead of looking out during the battle. It was also especially interesting to me because it was from artillery perspective as the artillery on the hill was a big advantage.

http://www.archive.org/stream/artilleryofnatha00mort#page/233/mode/1up/search/sulfur+branch+trestle

I've only read the one article, but for you Forrest fans, the book might be a fun read....I'm sure going to.

Regards to all,
Jon G.

Thanks lots for that Richard! I didn't want to assume it was and was hoping someone might chime in before I started researching and comparing all the things mentioned in all I've read about it.

This is the article I mentioned, the first I've read looking in instead of looking out during the battle. It was also especially interesting to me because it was from artillery perspective as the artillery on the hill was a big advantage.

http://www.archive.org/stream/artilleryofnatha00mort#page/233/mode/1up/search/sulfur+branch+trestle

Regards to all,
Jon G.

This is from John Morton's book....which is a must-read, IMHO. It's well written and of course, the subject is irresistible :smile:

This is from John Morton's book....which is a must-read, IMHO. It's well written and of course, the subject is irresistible :smile:

Somehow I thought you had probably read it Nathan, and I'm sure others too.:wink:

Right after posting I edited with a note for NFB fans, I'm looking forward to reading it soon.....so many books so little time!

Regards to all,
Jon G.

Richard gave a very good presentation of his knowledge about the Sulphur Trestle last evening for which we of the Sam Davis 1293 Camp SCV are all very thankful. It was a very good evening! Hopefully we gave this great couple a little relief from their Hoosier snow.

Richard gave a very good presentation of his knowledge about the Sulphur Trestle last evening for which we of the Sam Davis 1293 Camp SCV are all very thankful. It was a very good evening! Hopefully we gave this great couple a little relief from their Hoosier snow.

Darn, wish I could have made it down for that! I also wanted to come and tramp around Franklin and Hollow Tree Gap a bit but my wife's health has been unpredictable. Now, we probably won't make it until spring.

Back