Suggestions on Tennessee road trip stops

Hey all,

I tried to search the forum as best I could but TN and battle sites yield a large amount of posts. I will be in TN with 4 days free to explore the state and visit a couple of the big battlefields or numerou smaller locations. Just looking for some suggestions obviously I had a couple in mind (Shiloh, Stones River, Franklin, Chattanooga/Chickamauga). I don't mind doing a sort of driving tour to some of these locations and then spending a day or two at Shiloh or Chattanooga for example. Any suggestions would be great or even some smaller locations I would totally be open to check out. I don't mind getting out and hiking either so any suggestions with that in mind would be helpful. I was able to do the same thing last month at Harpers Ferry and Antietam and loved every second of it. Thank you all for any suggestions.
With four full days, I would at least see the major sites you have already mentioned (if you have not seen them before). Stones River and Franklin are some of my favorites, they are close enough you can knock out both in one day. Then one day for Shiloh, another for Chickamauga/Chattanooga. That gives you another day to see other sites. I recommend Parker's Crossroads as well.

Hey all,

I tried to search the forum as best I could but TN and battle sites yield a large amount of posts. I will be in TN with 4 days free to explore the state and visit a couple of the big battlefields or numerou smaller locations. Just looking for some suggestions obviously I had a couple in mind (Shiloh, Stones River, Franklin, Chattanooga/Chickamauga). I don't mind doing a sort of driving tour to some of these locations and then spending a day or two at Shiloh or Chattanooga for example. Any suggestions would be great or even some smaller locations I would totally be open to check out. I don't mind getting out and hiking either so any suggestions with that in mind would be helpful. I was able to do the same thing last month at Harpers Ferry and Antietam and loved every second of it. Thank you all for any suggestions.
When is travel dates ? Fort Donelson, Nashville - Fort granger & Shy's Hill depends on interest some in busy areas but still beautiful TN is 2nd to VA in battles so much to see or just some hidden treasures... Franklin a must as Shiloh Stones River and Chickamauga. Nashville has good sites traffic heavy but Shys hill and Fort Negley a must see... local kinda sorta so question's ask

Shiloh, Stones River, Franklin, Chattanooga/Chickamauga
If you have never been there and are only going to be there 4 days,there is more to see at those 4 locations than you will be able to cover in 4 days.

Wow...in this crowd and no one mentioned...

George Dickel in Tullahoma, Tennessee
Jack Daniel's in Lynchburg, Tennessee
...and about 8 others, those 2 being the most famous...

Don't drive yourself...

Cheers! Really!
USS ALASKA
I have always found it interesting that the Jack Daniel's Distillery is located in a dry (no alcohol sold) county and the only place that serves alcohol is in the Jack Daniel's tasting room.

Hey all,

LeesWarhorse, As Ole Miss (David) mentioned, I am a Park Ranger with Shiloh National Military Park, and I work at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, a unit of the park located in northeast Mississippi. We are all Shiloh Rangers here, and I just celebrated my 20th year with the park.
Our visitor center was designed specifically to enhance a visit to Shiloh, and we attempt to bring visitors to Corinth before making the half-hour drive to the Shiloh Battlefield. The center has three big rooms of exhibits which places Shiloh in context with Corinth and the war in the western theater. There are a number of interactive exhibits as well as three films an amazing display of Confederate flags and other amazing artifacts. From Memorial Day to Labor Day we offer Ranger-led programs thoughout the day and we always have extended walking and driving tours during the October anniversary of the Battle of Corinth.
Many visitors are not aware that Corinth is the site of the largest battle in Mississippi, and the largest seige on this continent in regards to the number of men engaged, right about 200,000. It was during the May 1862 siege that saw the largest concentration of Union troops during the war with 118,000 soldiers on hand from three Federal armies.
We have maps that will take you to miles of extant earthworks, which were dug by both Uion and Confederate troops. The downtown area (the scene of street-to-street fighting) has a number of historic sites, including a museum in the depot at the railroad crossing , the posession of which led to the Battle of Shiloh.
You can learn more at
https://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm
https://yt.ax/watch/corinth-and-alcorn-county-tourism-promotional-video-19707667/
https://www.facebook.com/CorinthTourism/videos/2029571787344063/
I look forward to your visit,

Tom

If you are traveling between Chattanooga and Nashville there is a very small battlefield located at the 97mile marker on Interstate 24 at Hoovers Gap. It is small but information packed. It is a good place to have a picnic or a rest stop. Interstate 24 runs through the middle o the battlefield. I used to give talks there to people who stopped there.

LeesWarhorse, As Ole Miss (David) mentioned, I am a Park Ranger with Shiloh National Military Park, and I work at the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center, a unit of the park located in northeast Mississippi. We are all Shiloh Rangers here, and I just celebrated my 20th year with the park.
Our visitor center was designed specifically to enhance a visit to Shiloh, and we attempt to bring visitors to Corinth before making the half-hour drive to the Shiloh Battlefield. The center has three big rooms of exhibits which places Shiloh in context with Corinth and the war in the western theater. There are a number of interactive exhibits as well as three films an amazing display of Confederate flags and other amazing artifacts. From Memorial Day to Labor Day we offer Ranger-led programs thoughout the day and we always have extended walking and driving tours during the October anniversary of the Battle of Corinth.
Many visitors are not aware that Corinth is the site of the largest battle in Mississippi, and the largest seige on this continent in regards to the number of men engaged, right about 200,000. It was during the May 1862 siege that saw the largest concentration of Union troops during the war with 118,000 soldiers on hand from three Federal armies.
We have maps that will take you to miles of extant earthworks, which were dug by both Uion and Confederate troops. The downtown area (the scene of street-to-street fighting) has a number of historic sites, including a museum in the depot at the railroad crossing , the posession of which led to the Battle of Shiloh.
You can learn more at
https://www.nps.gov/shil/index.htm
https://yt.ax/watch/corinth-and-alcorn-county-tourism-promotional-video-19707667/
https://www.facebook.com/CorinthTourism/videos/2029571787344063/
I look forward to your visit,

Tom
Thank you for the information. I will be there on August 4th or 5th!

Back