Impressions Suggestions Needed

Tailor Pete

Sergeant
As I have alluded to in other posts, a group of us are starting a new reenactment group in Southern AZ. One idea was to include patterns for various kit items in our new recruits packet. The idea sounds simple enough, but now we are left wondering what to include?

We need these projects to be simple and to require a minimum of specialty supplies. We also want them to provide a bit of 'bang for the buck.' So far we've considered including plans / patterns for the following: Early-war Federal Shelter Half, period correct suspenders, soldiers' housewives, and poke bags.

First, do y'all think this idea has merit?

Second, are there any projects you think we should include?

Finally, we were hoping to have between 8 - 10 projects in our final booklet. Is that too ambitious?

Our new recruit packet (including the project book) will be tucked into a Confederate or Federal Contract Haversack (recruits' choice) to provide them with their first piece of kit. What do y'all think?

Sounds like a good idea. When I started, we had projects like roll 100 cartridge tubes and make a batch of hardtack.

Things like poke sacks, suspenders, and housewifes are good. In my opinion, a shelter half is pretty tedious and has alot of button holes. Plus it only works for federal impressions, and if the recruit doesn't stay the night they won't get any use of it. I would suggest more along the lines of a homespun drawers or shirt on the square. They aren't that difficult, made from cheap fabric, and they can use them right away and be proud of their work.

Thanks for the night cap idea, @Cpl. Smith... always though of knit versions, but sewn wool would be just as functional!

@Camp Randall Armory, the shirt and drawers would be a great idea, will have to look seriously into this as well.

As we commit our plans and patterns to paper, I will make sure to post them in an obvious place. The suspender pattern I've always used is a very simple tab type design lacking buckles. Figured a soldier in the field, left to his own devices, would make them as simply and sturdily as possible.

As for a shelter half, I do agree it is quite the undertaking, but doable over several evenings. Our group consists of Yanks, Rebs, and those that do both, so we need to offer some patterns specific to each.

Never thought of the obvious... paper tubes! Used to make a season's worth while 'watching' the Super Bowl... became a bit of a tradition.

Please, keep the ideas coming!

I think you should give them an unfinished haversacks (like without the buttons so that gives them a primer for sowing or something similar). Also add patterns for wooden ammo crates and camp stools.

Crates and stools... now thats an idea! Many of us are leaning toward campaigning, but we also want to participate in mainstream events as well. We can probably fit in a few camp-like items into the mix for use at bigger, public events. Thanks @Cpl. Smith! Some of our patterns will be posted here soon!

Crates and stools... now thats an idea! Many of us are leaning toward campaigning, but we also want to participate in mainstream events as well. We can probably fit in a few camp-like items into the mix for use at bigger, public events. Thanks @Cpl. Smith! Some of our patterns will be posted here soon!

Respectfully @Tailor Pete, if you have never done living history/reenacting before, I suggest you start out slow (mainstream).

Respectfully @Tailor Pete, if you have never done living history/reenacting before, I suggest you start out slow (mainstream).

I have done both, and our group is accepting of both ends of the spectrum. The guys have made the decision to approach a campaign level of authenticity, but to approach the hobby at levels each person is comfortable with.

I have done both, and our group is accepting of both ends of the spectrum. The guys have made the decision to approach a campaign level of authenticity, but to approach the hobby at levels each person is comfortable with.
I want to meet you guys at an event someday!

After thought you could also give them a copy of the manual of arms so they may train at home and do some learning at the same time! Which manual will y'all be using? I know that I'm pretty efficient at both gilhams and hardies, but will you use only One or both?

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/columbia-rifles-research-compendiums.128014/#post-1406653

The Columbia Rifles Research Compendiums (1st and 2nd editions) have long been out of print. Whether you're new to reenacting or an experienced reenactor wanting to take his impression to the next level, they are a must have.

Note: CRRC 2nd edition, published by The Watchdog

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Back