Suggestions for visiting Williamsburg, Va.?

Bruce Vail

Captain
I'm planning a visit to relatives in Williamsburg, Va., this Thanksgiving and am looking for suggestions for visiting Civil War sites nearby. My relatives are not too big on this kind of stuff so I need to plan on something that we could do in half-day and not be too ambitious. It's not my first visit there, so I've already seen Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown (Revolutionary War) and Fortress Monroe.

Any ideas out there from all you experienced, expert CWT folk?

Virginia State War Museum
Virginia Maritime Museum (Monitor is there)
Chickahominy
Drewry's Bluff (where the USN including the Monitor and Galena were turned back from Richmond)
Seven Days Battle
Chimborazo
Richmond (Tredegar Iron Works, Museum of the Confederacy, Virginia Historical Society)
Petersburg
Ferry boat (free) to Suffolk (and take the boat back) - Siege of Suffolk

Virginia State War Museum
Virginia Maritime Museum (Monitor is there)
Chickahominy
Drewry's Bluff (where the USN including the Monitor and Galena were turned back from Richmond)
Seven Days Battle
Chimborazo
Richmond (Tredegar Iron Works, Museum of the Confederacy, Virginia Historical Society)
Petersburg
Ferry boat (free) to Suffolk (and take the boat back) - Siege of Suffolk

Thanks, these are all good ideas. I've actually been on the Suffolk ferry before and that is a nice trip. (I've also visited Hollywood Cemetery, which was very worthwhile).

I'd really like to visit the Museum of the Confederacy, but it's hard to see how I could fit that in a half day.

If you get good weather I would hit Malvern Hill/Cold Harbour and Gaines Mill. They are all on the east end of the city so you get to them first coming from Williamsburg

The White House of the Confederacy is next door. Park at the Medical School next door to the MoC and get your parking validated.

While at that parking spot, you can also visit the VA State Library, Valentine Museum, Marshall House (he was a rifleman during the Revolution and a Supreme Court Justice).

Back