Sugar and Spice and All That’s Nice

Speaking of Adam and Eve

Back during the 1980’s when budgets were tight in Mississippi, a member of the state legislature was looking into options that might save money. He was a widower and had dedicated his life to serving the state of Mississippi. He decided to look into the Higher Education budget as he felt too much of the state’s resources were dedicated to colleges and universities.

Mississippi had eight institutions of higher learning and this gentleman saw a school that had passed its prime and should be consolidated with the nearby Mississippi State University. This man had worked diligently on this financial solution and presented it to the house and senate for review and voting. The majority of the legislatures were initially in favor of the proposal and the matter was brought to the attention of the governor.

In the meantime, graduates and students of the targeted school had met in various alumni meetings to discuss this possible closing of their alma mater. There were many heated exchanges and a series of proposals were discussed and debated. In time the various chapters met together and addressed this most serious matter. Finally a decision was made on how to combat this political juggernaut facing their beloved school. They shared their solution with the governor and his wife and he then sent a word to the legislature that was in session about to pass this new bill to close the school.

The word was Boycott! The alumna of Mississippi University for Women had spoken loud and clear and their message ended all discussion of closing the school and saving money. Imagine that?
Regards
David

You should never forget it!! Since the beginning of time when God confronted Adam about eating fruit from the forbidden tree of knowledge, Adam replied to God; “It was the woman you gave me”, and it’s been that way ever since.
Thank you, @DBF for your reply. I am unsure of the customs of that era, whether husband and wife dressed together before such events, or each had their own room and helpers. But, being the premeditated act of secluding a knife upon her person before the event, and possibly having conversation with her sister, proving her an accomplice to the crime, and her husband at the very least, an accessory to murder after the incident by aiding, and possibly abetting, justice could not have been served adequately by the lady being hanged.
Because she had planned ahead of time, it could not be considered spur of the moment, and heat of passion. So, did she deserve commutation of her sentence? I see no profit in hanging all parties involved, and an injustice for making her an example by her sole hanging. I would love to read Judge Colquitt's personal remarks on this case, and his reasons for leniency.
Thanks again, Lubliner.

As I wrote there had been an execution of a lady by hanging in Kentucky (Susan Eberhart in 1873) and the Governor at that the time did not commute her sentence, so I think the people had an aversion for this type of punishment for ladies (maybe that ties back to your comment on culture). The pressure had to have been enormous for Colquitt. There was enormous publicity and thereby interest in this trial. One of her “white knights” wrote in the “Atlanta Constitution” a story headlined: “Mrs. Southern’s Neck”, and declared “that women are instinctively unable to commit murder except under the influence of whiskey or while otherwise not in full control of their senses”.

I have not found anything of what was his mind-set in the decision process and I wonder after all he had seen fighting the war, had he developed a more sympathetic nature.

As I wrote there had been an execution of a lady by hanging in Kentucky (Susan Eberhart in 1873) and the Governor at that the time did not commute her sentence, so I think the people had an aversion for this type of punishment for ladies (maybe that ties back to your comment on culture). The pressure had to have been enormous for Colquitt. There was enormous publicity and thereby interest in this trial. One of her “white knights” wrote in the “Atlanta Constitution” a story headlined: “Mrs. Southern’s Neck”, and declared “that women are instinctively unable to commit murder except under the influence of whiskey or while otherwise not in full control of their senses”.

I have not found anything of what was his mind-set in the decision process and I wonder after all he had seen fighting the war, had he developed a more sympathetic nature.
After you mentioned the 1873 hanging in Kentucky, Mary Surratt sprang into my mind. With the controversy erupting over that hanging and possibly still in the hearts and minds of prominent men, Colquitt at least had an account to reflect back upon and judge what may have been most advantageous to the community. The 'by the book' principle may be lacking, but the human heart isn't. (Culture was a reference to dressing rooms. And an implication of premeditated conspiracy).
Thank you again, Lubliner.

Reactions: DBF
Back