Is there a list of who hired substitutes and who were substitutes?

Is there any sort of separate list or data bases to know who hired substitutes and who were substitutes by state perhaps?

Georgia's rosters will often (but not always) indicate if a man was a substitute and for whom. New York's records will sometimes indicate that a man was a substitute but I haven't found a case where it shows who he is replacing.

Ryan

Vote Here:
Regarding my own research, I found substitutions recorded in the individual service records of the "OR" for specific soldiers. It typically states when the substitution was accepted and who substituted for whom and from what dates. As far as I know there is not a separate list recording them as a whole. But if there is it would surely be on a company or regimental level.

Below I post two Service cards, the first one being Pvt. William M. Thomas, B-Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who was substituted by Pvt. E. W. Coston. The second being Pvt. E. W. Coston, B-Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who was the substitute for Pvt. William M. Thomas on 29 Aug 1862. Interestingly enough Pvt. E. W. Coston, the accepted substitute, a little more than one month later became sick at camp (Bluff Springs, FL.) with Typhoid Fever and was sent to the Confederate Hospital at Greenville, Alabama for treatment where he soon died on 17 Sep 1862. Pvt. William M. Thomas had satisfied his obligation with the Confederate States Army and was not recalled or conscripted, even though his substitute only served one month in his stead.

Pvt. William M. Thomas - Enlisted on 23 Feb 1862 (1c).jpg

Pvt. E. W. Coston - Enlisted on 29 Aug 1862 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Does anyone know if anything detailed like this exists for NH regiments? I'm wondering if my great-grandfather David Newton Butterfield hired a substitute or because he ran a huge farm and a business wasn't drafted?

Vote Here:
Does anyone know if anything detailed like this exists for NH regiments? I'm wondering if my great-grandfather David Newton Butterfield hired a substitute or because he ran a huge farm and a business wasn't drafted?
If he had the money paying the $300 exemption fee may have been the quickest way to go.

Vote Here:
But wouldn't there had been a record of that transaction somewhere?
If he was actually called up there should be a record of him paying the exemption fee or paying for a substitute – try the state archives. In North Carolina, there were exemptions at least until 1864 for those who were better able to aid the war effort outside the army, but I'm not aware of being able to buy an exemption. You could pay for a substitute in the early part of the war, but by 1864, virtually all able-bodied white males of age were at least in the reserves. If the name is known, it is fairly easy to find a service record here, even for a Home Guardsman.

Vote Here:
Hello, I am interested in this topic because I am conducting tours at the Tinker Swiss Cottage in Rockford IL. The person who built the cottage Robert Tinker became a prominent person in town ie the Mayor of Rockford. The staff there told me during my training that he hired a substitute and that person came through the war alive. Where would I find information on this? Was it socially acceptable during and after the war to avoid service this way?

Vote Here:
The question of the social status of individuals who hired substitutes has as many on the other hands as a Hindu god. Theodore Roosevelt’s father hired a substitute. His mother was from the south & convinced him not serve. Instead he was on the US Sanitary Commission, where he probably contributed more than he would have as a soldier. Some counties would fill their draft quota with bounty men. That was the source of many of the serial bounty jumpers. The best service Gideon Pillow did was a punitive expedition in North Georgia to essentially kidnap draftees. Compare that with Iowa which bragged that they filled the quota with volunteers, not draftees. In the mountains of NC a full blown armed insurrection resisted the draft. Like the many headed many handed gods or a kaleidoscope, this subject changes every way you look at it.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
The AGO reports for Maine clearly list substitutes as well as the name of the man who hired them. I believe that every state put out reports by its Adjutant General and many of these are available online.

Vote Here:
But wouldn't there had been a record of that transaction somewhere?
According to the records of draft registration on Ancestry, he did register for the draft (if he was the David N. Butterfield, b. c. 1838, from Hillsborough County). He may have hired a substitute but it is also possible that he simply wasn't called up.

edited for last name

Last edited:
Vote Here:
If this is your ancestor and if he was in Francestown by 1863: according the the HDS database, Francestown sent 38 men to war but only 1 was drafted. The hyperlink from the number to the individual is broken but only 1 man entered the army in 1863 (Benjamin Blanchard). The service records on FamilySearch for New Hampshire are so summary that I couldn't tell whether he was a simple draft choice or a substitute. But the odds are that David N. Butterfield just wasn't selected.

Vote Here:
A 4 x great-grandfather in East Tennessee, William Keen Hulse was a 53-year-old Confederate substitute. He was captured at Big Black and died a P.O.W. at Camp Morton. Two sons died in Confederate service. His surviving son, Abraham C. Hulse had settled in Illinois years before the war. He was Captain of Company E 122nd Illinois Infantry.

"Tennessee Deed Book 39, page 187-188 Bacon-Hulse 20 Feb 1863 This Indenture made the twentieth day Feb in the year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and sixty-three between John W. Bacon of the State of Tenn Washington County of the one part and William K. Hulse of the same place of the other part, Witnesseth that the said John W. Bacon for and in consideration the said William K. Hulse does agree to go in the Southern Army as a Substitute for said Bacon during the war with the United States for which the said John W. Bacon agrees to give the tract of land that Jonathan Bacon bought of Thomas Barron Jun. A portion of the farm of Thomas Barron Sen. Beginning at a planted rock in a lane on said Bacon's line with two conditional lines? Jackson's line? Barron's line? containing? sixty-six and one eight acres? I do covenant and bind myself my heirs or assigns to warrant and forever defend said title to said land if the said William K. Hulse serves in the army as a Substitute during the war for myself signed and sealed in the presents of the date above Test John W. Bacon Jacob Murray Jacob Barron"......... [Registered 28 Sep 1865]

Last edited:
Vote Here:
Hello, I am interested in this topic because I am conducting tours at the Tinker Swiss Cottage in Rockford IL. The person who built the cottage Robert Tinker became a prominent person in town ie the Mayor of Rockford. The staff there told me during my training that he hired a substitute and that person came through the war alive. Where would I find information on this? Was it socially acceptable during and after the war to avoid service this way?
I'd go through the Adjutant General's report for Illinois. A tedious process if Rockford had a lot of soldiers because it is necessary to go regiment by regiment--but you can probably narrow it down to 1863. An easier way might be to approach the local historical society (which probably maintains files on high profile residents). Or your local library for old biographies. A hint that I've not tried (but as it comes from the state's genealogical librarian it is probably good) is to scan the collections pages of Illinois' largest library--then the "help" link. Or check the online genealogical pages put out by the Illinois secretary of state (a long shot).

Ouch--just checked: over 1260 men altogether.

Was it "socially acceptable"? In Maine it was acceptable--that's all. One young man hired a substitute who died in Andersonville; the two families never spoke again--in fact, the hirer's family left town. But an aging man who had signed up for the draft, probably out of some burst of patriotic fervor, also hired a substitute when his name was called--and people seem to have believed that he was being sensible.

Vote Here:
I'd go through the Adjutant General's report for Illinois. A tedious process if Rockford had a lot of soldiers because it is necessary to go regiment by regiment--but you can probably narrow it down to 1863. An easier way might be to approach the local historical society (which probably maintains files on high profile residents). Or your local library for old biographies. A hint that I've not tried (but as it comes from the state's genealogical librarian it is probably good) is to scan the collections pages of Illinois' largest library--then the "help" link. Or check the online genealogical pages put out by the Illinois secretary of state (a long shot).

Was it "socially acceptable"? In Maine it was acceptable--that's all. One young man hired a substitute who died in Andersonville; the two families never spoke again--in fact, the hirer's family left town. But an aging man who had signed up for the draft, probably out of some burst of patriotic fervor, also hired a substitute when his name was called--and people seem to have believed that he was being sensible.
Thank you I emailed the Executive Director, who spoke about this on her tour yesterday. It sounds like they are facing this bit of unpleasant history head on by including it in tours. She must know the source of the information. I have started reading about the practice of hiring substitutes and it seems that it was acceptable in some cases if the person doing the hiring had some kind of important homefront service to provide. Rockford IL provided a patriotic and enthusiastic response to calls for service so I'm guessing those who took this route kept it fairly quiet.

Vote Here:

Another thought--which should have been my first 😐: go back to the staff member and ask him or her.

Vote Here:
Another thought--which should have been my first 😐: go back to the staff member and ask him or her.
Should have been my first also. I think the people running these historic sites are doing research all the time. I was prevented from really doing tours at this place by covid and never heard about this angle when I was training there before. As part of my training yesterday she also said some people ask if the Tinkers owned slaves. (no, they had paid household staff in Rockford IL) I guess I should expect to hear anything and everything. I'll post whatever answer I get about this question.

Vote Here:
I guess I should expect to hear anything and everything
You will! I docent at a Victorian mansion that has an interior passage (as so many Victorians do)--I've been asked if the house was, therefore, a part of the underground railway (the sign outside clearly states "built in 1894") or (even worse) if the passage was a priest hole! :cold:

Vote Here:
Back