Discussion Substitutes

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Is there any sort of separate list or data bases to know who hired substitutes and who were substitutes by state perhaps?
Georgia's rosters will often (but not always) indicate if a man was a substitute and for whom. New York's records will sometimes indicate that a man was a substitute but I haven't found a case where it shows who he is replacing.

Ryan

Regarding my own research, I found substitutions recorded in the individual service records of the "OR" for specific soldiers. It typically states when the substitution was accepted and who substituted for whom and from what dates. As far as I know there is not a separate list recording them as a whole. But if there is it would surely be on a company or regimental level.

Below I post two Service cards, the first one being Pvt. William M. Thomas, B-Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who was substituted by Pvt. E. W. Coston. The second being Pvt. E. W. Coston, B-Troop, 2nd Regiment Alabama Cavalry, who was the substitute for Pvt. William M. Thomas on 29 Aug 1862. Interestingly enough Pvt. E. W. Coston, the accepted substitute, a little more than one month later became sick at camp (Bluff Springs, FL.) with Typhoid Fever and was sent to the Confederate Hospital at Greenville, Alabama for treatment where he soon died on 17 Sep 1862. Pvt. William M. Thomas had satisfied his obligation with the Confederate States Army and was not recalled or conscripted, even though his substitute only served one month in his stead.

Pvt. William M. Thomas - Enlisted on 23 Feb 1862 (1c).jpg

Pvt. E. W. Coston - Enlisted on 29 Aug 1862 (1).jpg

Last edited:

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Does anyone know if anything detailed like this exists for NH regiments? I'm wondering if my great-grandfather David Newton Butterfield hired a substitute or because he ran a huge farm and a business wasn't drafted?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Does anyone know if anything detailed like this exists for NH regiments? I'm wondering if my great-grandfather David Newton Butterfield hired a substitute or because he ran a huge farm and a business wasn't drafted?
If he had the money paying the $300 exemption fee may have been the quickest way to go.

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
But wouldn't there had been a record of that transaction somewhere?
If he was actually called up there should be a record of him paying the exemption fee or paying for a substitute – try the state archives. In North Carolina, there were exemptions at least until 1864 for those who were better able to aid the war effort outside the army, but I'm not aware of being able to buy an exemption. You could pay for a substitute in the early part of the war, but by 1864, virtually all able-bodied white males of age were at least in the reserves. If the name is known, it is fairly easy to find a service record here, even for a Home Guardsman.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!