Subgroups For Authentic Civil War Rifle Technical Q&A?

ewmail15

Retired User
Is there a way in this forum to have subforums under weapons and rifles specific to authentic technical questions. I own Sharps and Merrill carbines and had/have loads of questions, like how to repair a broken mainspring, how to restore a rusted barrel surface,. Sure would be nice to have a furtther layer down for discussions on relic restorations, as repros are so dominant and really should have their own subgroup(s).

Would also be great if there was a way to have members identified as knowledge experts/rifle owners/restorers by Sharps (and models), Spencer, Merrill, Burnside, Maynard, etc.

I support this. I have a Smith Carbine with a broken spring. I’d certainly love to get some SME advice on how to replace and fix. S&S has the parts, just need the assist in figuring it out

I agree 100% that a sub-group on weapons tech would be GREAT what we really need is a gunsmith to host it?

I can't see a need for an additional sub forum. Anyone following this forum is interested in firearms. Ask away right here so all can learn tricks of the trade. Many question usually will cover many firearm types. If it is a question anyone is not interested in, they can go to the next post

I support this. I have a Smith Carbine with a broken spring. I’d certainly love to get some SME advice on how to replace and fix. S&S has the parts, just need the assist in figuring it out

What spring is broken? The main spring?
Take a picture of the broken part and post it. I have a working Smith and with all the knowledgable people on this forum, we'll get her up and running.

What spring is broken? The main spring?
Take a picture of the broken part and post it. I have a working Smith and with all the knowledgable people on this forum, we'll get her up and running.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's broken. The Hammer is totally loose and not catching anything inside to cock. Although I said spring, for all I know, it's a broken tumbler? I'm no gunsmith. Taking apart a lockplate on percussion musket is and removing a barrel is about all I've done with any antiques. I haven't even begun to tackle trying to disassemble a saddle ring carbine and not even sure where to start. I looked online for "Disassmbly of a Smith Carbine" and various alternatives, but got nowhere. Perhaps you can PM me to my inbox to take it offline?

Reproduction owners and their interests seem to be the majority of threads in weapons/ammo and classifieds. I'm focused solely on historical pieces and restoration efforts.

.....Perhaps you can PM me to my inbox to take it offline?

I'll be happy to do that, but beginning tomorrow I'll be away from my Smith for about a week. It's spring time in Missouri and I'm heading up to my cousin's to help them plant corn. I'll have my tablet with me but the Smith will stay here at my place. Once we get your lock off it should be pretty clear what's wrong. I can walk you through how to get the lock off.

However my two German Shepherd's and the rabid rottweiler will stay here at home. Everytime I take them up to the farm they always kill too many cattle. No, it's better that they stay here, at my house, locked inside, where I don't have to worry about them attacking anyone. Gosh, those dogs sure are protective.

Reproduction owners and their interests seem to be the majority of threads in weapons/ammo and classifieds. I'm focused solely on historical pieces and restoration efforts.

I don't disagree. The Smith I alluded to above is an original. However, the nice thing about including repro's is that many have exactly the same parts, take down/assembly issues and procedures as the originals and can be used for reference. True restoration would surely apply only to originals, but the maintenance and mechanics part could likely apply to both in the same.

The hard part is finding a host who's willing to head it and who is also a gunsmith, either amateur or pro!

Back