Stuart's Ride Around McClellan

stuartsmap.jpg

Hey Ya'll, I'm headin' to the Old Dominion to tour the Peninsular Campaign. I'm wonderin' if ya'll have got any good pointers for me. I'd really like to see the sights and if'n it can be so arranged, I'd like to spend a little time in the saddle. Anybody got any ideas?

I toured the Seven Days Battles last year. Compared to other battlefields in Virginia there was not too much to see. The exception was Malvern Hill, which is well preserved and worth spending some time walking the fields. When in the area, you are not too far from Cold Harbour and Petersburg which are also worth a visit.

If you make this trip to the James River area, pause for a moment to absorb the Revolutionary War at Yorktown and ease back in time a bit to the James River settlements of the 1620s. Carter Grove plantation 1755 holds the site of the 1622 massacre at Wolstenholme (Martin's Hundred) by the Pamunkeys under 10th great Grandpa Opechananough. Williamsburg itself is well worth the time.

larry_cockerham said:
If you make this trip to the James River area, pause for a moment to absorb the Revolutionary War at Yorktown and ease back in time a bit to the James River settlements of the 1620s. Carter Grove plantation 1755 holds the site of the 1622 massacre at Wolstenholme (Martin's Hundred) by the Pamunkeys under 10th great Grandpa Opechananough. Williamsburg itself is well worth the time.

We are most definitely doing Rev War stuff. Jamestown 400. In fact, that's the week.

I will do Yorktown and Petersburg. As I recall, there was a Rev War fight there BEFORE the Civ War.

I am a Trans-Mississippi Theater (Gen. J.O. Shelby) Cavalry re-enactor. I have always heard about Stuart's Ride Around Little Mac and I would very much like to re-create it in some form or fashion.

I'm lookin' for a good guide & three horses. My son and daughter-in-law would like to ride with US.

We will bring Yankee Dollars or some gold my old Pap stole off a train. Whichever you prefer.

Please PM me. I'm serious.

Back