Strong men cried like babes .....while the ex-confederate trembled like a leaf

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Thread Medic
Picture1.jpg

On July 17, Confederate leaders replaced Johnston with John Bell Hood. The aggressive Hood attacked the Federal troops as they closed in on Atlanta, and the First and Fifteenth Arkansas won laurels on July 22 for capturing the entire Sixteenth Iowa Infantry Regiment and eight artillery pieces.

19 years later, in 1883, survivors of the 16th Iowa met in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

From "Proceedings of Crocker's Iowa Brigade ....Biennial Reunion .... Volume 7-8"

Picture2.jpg

General William Belknap - 15th Iowa
General Daniel Govan - Arkansas brigade commander
General Addison Sanders - 16th Iowa​

"The second reunion occurred at Cedar Rapids, and it was here that one of the most graphic incidents ever happened since the war. General D. C. Govan of Marianna, Arkansas, and General Belknap had been carrying on a correspondence of which it was the culmination. General Govan had become possessor of the regimental flag of the 16th Iowa, which the 15th Arkansas regiment C. S. A. had captured in the battle of Atlanta. No member of the 16th Iowa had seen the flag since that time and no one but Gen. Belknap and Gen. Govan knew of what was to be enacted.

After the oration of the evening by ex-Gov. Buren R. Sherman, Gen. Belknap introduced Gen. Govan, who formally presented the flag to General Sanders. At the sight of the flag the 16th burst into cheers and then into tears. The contagion spread like wild-fire. The 11th, 13th and 15th could not restrain their feelings. The great opera house was crowded to its utmost capacity and nearly every one was caught in the mighty wave of excitement which swept over the great assembly.

Gen. Govan tried to speak but broke down, and this was a signal for a second demonstration. Handkerchiefs which waved their plaudits a few moments before now industriously covered the eyes of both the brave and the fair in the galleries. Strong men cried like babes and the tears rolled down the president's cheeks, while the ex-confederate trembled like a leaf. The hums of a few moments before were changed into sobs. It was a most remarkable scene, the like of which will never be duplicated in the history of the brigade.

After some moments General Govan regained his composure and in a speech of patriotic sentiment presented the flag to Gen. Sanders, who, through his tears, accepted it, saying in broken tones:

"The old flag! Lost—captured—but never disgraced!"

Govan's remarks as reported in the Memphis Daily Appeal, October 14, 1883, Page 2.

.....With this Gen. Belknap unfurled a tattered silk flag and introduced Gen. Govan, who being a typical Southern gentleman, stepped forward, and the brief address he delivered, for the sentiments expressed, was worthy of the loud and tremendous applause which was given by his audience. He said:

"I am unable to express my feeling in standing before this veteran brigade of Iowa. It is an honor to me and through me to the Southern soldiery. They will feel profoundly grateful to you. They will respond whenever the occasion presents itself. I have testified heretofore to the valor of the Iowa soldiers. The heroic resistance of the Sixteenth Iowa at Atlanta was phenomenal. I say to you to-night that the veterans into whose hands the Iowa flag fell by the defeat in 1864, will stand with you, and vie with you in its defense; for it now is the flag of a prosperous, united people."

The gentleman's closing words were drowned in the deafening applause which the soldiers gave for the noble sentiment he expressed. Gen. Addison H. Sanders, who was captured by Gen. Govan, and whose regiment lost the flag, could scarcely restrain his enthusiasm and feelings. This was the first time he had seen it since the capture in 1864. Passing to where the flag lay, he [Sanders] picked it up, examined the bullet holes and exclaimed: "This flag was captured and lost, but never disgraced." ....​

Thanks for posting this. I've read of the fight between Govan's Arkansas brigade and the Iowa brigade at Atlanta before, but not the return of the 16th Iowa's colors until now. Great story!

There are several of the 16th's flags in the State Historical Museum of Iowa's collection, although it's not indicated which is the one captured and returned. Here are the links:

https://iowamuseumcollection.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/10BE0CF5-3974-47E0-82DE-765795840702

https://iowamuseumcollection.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/7151229A-6BEC-47E5-978E-450949131272

https://iowamuseumcollection.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/A0B65F9A-30D7-47A3-AAAA-790126913524

https://iowamuseumcollection.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/70588848-8147-4E27-B21A-324705365480

There are several of the 16th's flags in the State Historical Museum of Iowa's collection, although it's not indicated which is the one captured and returned. Here are the links:
https://iowamuseumcollection.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/70588848-8147-4E27-B21A-324705365480
I'm going to guess its the flag at the last link you posted. From the description of the flag in Govan's remarks I posted above, we know it was a silk flag. And it seems to have been a regimental flag and not US flag. The remains of the flag at the third link are in pretty bad shape, so I'll make an educated guess and propose that it is likely the flag at the fourth link?

It does say "regimental flag" in the article posted by @SWMODave, so I was thinking that might be referring to the Regimental Colors (as opposed to the National Colors), but I'm not sure it's that specific. "regimental flag" could be a general reference to either.

I was searching through Proceedings of Crocker's Iowa Brigade .... Biennial Reunion on Archive.org for any other info.
"regimental colors" is used Here while "national colors" is used Here.

Didn't see anything more on the flag itself, but I did run across this letter by the color bearer, who unfortunately missed the flag's return....

Cherokee, Kan., Oct. 13, 1883.

Gen. Add. H. Sanders:

Dear General: — I see by the National Tribune that the colors of the 16th Iowa have been returned. If I had known the old flag was to have been returned, I would not have missed being there for $100, for I was the man who carried it when captured. Two rebs attempted to take it away from me, and I jerked it from their hands, and then a rebel struck me with his bayonet and knocked me over on the works. His bayonet had been broken off at the end or it would have killed me. I also was carrying it the day before (July 21st), when every man was killed or wounded within two rods of me, and I was slightly wounded in the leg. I also carried it, and mounted it on the rebel fort at Nicajack, the time we took Marietta, Ga., and Kenesaw Mountains. There is nothing I prize so high as that dear old flag. I stuck the colors up on the works and used a gun July 22d. The flag was shot down and fell on my head. I wish you would send me the flag by express, so I can see it once more. I can't wait to see it. I will return it and pay all charges both ways, for I know there is not a man in the regiment that can prize it higher than I do. Let me hear from you at once. I will try to be at the next Re-Union. There are several 16th Iowa boys in this country.

Yours truly,
Joe Lucas.
https://archive.org/details/proceedingsofcr188187ceda/page/197

Govan was one of the best brigade commanders in Pat Cleburne's division; his wounding deprived the division of one of its best officers but likely saved his life since he was no longer fit for duty, missing the final bloodbaths at Franklin and Nashville that took the lives of Cleburne and fellow brigadier Hiram Granbury.

Govan was one of the best brigade commanders in Pat Cleburne's division; his wounding deprived the division of one of its best officers but likely saved his life since he was no longer fit for duty, missing the final bloodbaths at Franklin and Nashville that took the lives of Cleburne and fellow brigadier Hiram Granbury.
You must be thinking of Lucius Polk, who's wounds at Kennesaw Mountain put him out of action. Govan continued to command his Arkansas brigade at Franklin, survived the charge there unscathed but was later wounded at Nashville. Though, IIRC, he recovered from that wound and rejoined his command in time for the Carolinas Campaign.

It was Govan who had those fateful final words with Cleburne before the charge at Franklin.

Govan: "Well, General, there will not be many of us that will get back to Arkansas."

Cleburne: "Well, Govan, if we are to die, let us die like men."

Back