Forrest Streight's Alabama Raid

I made a transatlantic voyage on the 500 ton wooden tall ship Rose. She is a reproduction of an English 6th rate 28 gun frigate built in 1757.
Envy !
(even with with the weird stuff that occurred on your cruise).

If you have seen Master & Commander, the Rose was converted into the HMS Surprise for that movie.

I've been a big fan of Patrick O'Brian for years.
I've read and reread all of his Aubrey–Maturin series more than I like to admit.

Didn't the Rose sink a few years ago ?

So glad to see Captain Aubrey's name mentioned in the Forrest forum !

:smoke:

Last edited:
Envy !
(even with with the weird stuff that occurred on your cruise).

I've been a big fan of Patrick O'Brian for years.
I've read and reread all of his Aubrey–Maturin series more than I like to admit.

Didn't the Rose sink a few years ago ?

So glad to see Captain Aubrey's name mentioned in the Forrest forum !

:smoke:
No, she is at the maritime museum in San Diego. She is the HMS Surprise these days. They recently replaced the deck planking. Washing the deck with salt water prevents the deterioration that comes with fresh water. Somehow I don’t see them out there with holy stones every morning.
Patric O’Brian was one of a kind.

No, she is at the maritime museum in San Diego. She is the HMS Surprise these days. They recently replaced the deck planking. Washing the deck with salt water prevents the deterioration that comes with fresh water. Somehow I don’t see them out there with holy stones every morning.
Patric O’Brian was one of a kind.

Thanks ! That's great news !

And you are right, IMHO O’Brian is one one the best authors of the 20th century.

@Rhea Cole What an exciting experiance that must have been! My idea of going to sea was taking the water taxi from the Inner Harbor to Fells Point in Baltimore.

John

Back