Stratford Hall celebrates Robert E. Lee's 208th birthday

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
In celebration of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s 208th birthday, the folks at Stratford Hall—the estate that four generations of the historic Lee family called home—are hosting a free family day.

One of the event’s highlight will be the opportunity to explore the HistoryMobile. The touring exhibit was created as one of the offerings commemorating the sesquicentennial anniversary of the first battle of Manassas. Featuring multi-sensory and interactive displays, the HistoryMobile is described by Stratford’s program manager, Jon Bachman, in an unintended pun as “a very moving experience.”

http://www.fredericksburg.com/enter...cle_df35a1cc-1c89-5914-936d-3376a735ebde.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but though Lee was born at Stratford Hall the true owners of the property were actually a diferent branch of the Lee family, decendants of Richard Henry Lee?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but though Lee was born at Stratford Hall the true owners of the property were actually a diferent branch of the Lee family, decendants of Richard Henry Lee?

It was owned by Philip Lee's daughter Matilda, who married her cousin Lighthorse Harry. She died, leaving it to her husband and their son Blackhorse Harry lost it. It was originally built by the Immigrant (Philip's father) and was the family seat until...scandal and debt!

315-jpg.jpg

Lee would likely have felt more like this house in Alexandria, Va. ( now a private residence ), was home since he lived here from 1810 when he was only three until 1818 when he left to attend the Military Academy at West Point. Of Alexandria, he wrote in 1870 near the end of his life,

"There is no community to which my affections more strongly cling than that of Alexandria, composed of my earliest and oldest friends, my kind schoolfellows, and faithful neighbors."

315-jpg.jpg

Lee would likely have felt more like this house in Alexandria, Va. ( now a private residence ), was home since he lived here from 1810 when he was only three until 1818 when he left to attend the Military Academy at West Point. Of Alexandria, he wrote in 1870 near the end of his life,

"There is no community to which my affections more strongly cling than that of Alexandria, composed of my earliest and oldest friends, my kind schoolfellows, and faithful neighbors."

Wasn't this one was owned by his mother's brother, who lent it to her during her lifetime?

Is that a ghost standing in the upper window?? :cold:
I dunno but who is that guy up on the roof, holding onto the chimney? Roofer, mason or.... :unsure:
Wasn't this one was owned by his mother's brother, who lent it to her during her lifetime?

Oddly enough, I'd never noticed either of them before! I was just following a walking tour of the historic area and photographing some of it as best as I could. There was another Lee house on the corner across the street where the family had supposedly lived when they first came to town and before moving into this one.

Last edited:
Back