Strange Bedfellows of the Bivouac

LoyaltyOfDogs

Sergeant Major
Official Vendor
Strange Bedfellows of the Bivouac illustration.jpg

A Virginia soldier who spent his post-war years in Missouri, Francis T. Meriwether shared this reminiscence of the Gettysburg campaign with his fellow readers of Confederate Veteran magazine in 1893:

“On the night of July 3 I was again with my old company, and we were stationed for picket duty on the extreme left of our army. Two of the boys, telling their experience since our separation, related that while on the summit of the Blue Ridge Mountains for the purpose of observation a rattlesnake had during the cool night entered their fly tent to share their blanket. We were stationed in the yard of a deserted farmhouse. A heavy thunderstorm arose, and I placed three fence rails against the fence, inclined so as to allow the water to run freely from my waterproof coverlet. After the storm had subsided, and while the rain was still dripping from the trees, I felt conscious of something crawling up under the cover by my legs. Still impressed with the horror of sleeping with a rattler, I clutched what I fancied might be one. But to my joy and surprise I discovered that the intruder was a poor, deserted, half-drowned pup evidently seeking a place to dry and warm himself. Being damp and chilly myself, I took the little fellow to my bosom, and we both slept till the sun had been up an hour or more.”

~ By Francis T. Meriwether, Louisiana, MO, Confederate Veteran, 1893, Vol. 21, p. 443

Last edited:
Many years ago while at a Scout camp I was sleeping in an "Overnighter" tent by myself. This simple tent has no floor, is cotton and a couple ties or snaps to close the door. Trying to get to sleep I started to notice something came in and settled near the feet of my sleeping bag. What is it, a skunk, racoon, ? I carefully found my flashlight, shined it on the intruder and there was a small dog seeking human companionship.

Back