Story of the Bayly Family and Private Mias A. Wilson of the 16th North Carolina

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
Private Mias A. Wilson of Company F, 16th North Carolina, went missing during the battle and was afterwards listed as a deserter by his unit. Since there is no Federal record of his capture, a recently published reference lists him as presumed "killed" (Confederate Casualties at Gettysburg, by John W. Busey and Travis W. Busey, volume 4, p. 926).

However, Mias not only survived, he apparently thrived for nearly 58 more years. JPK Huson 1863 broke the story about a year ago in: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/ju...ettysburg-citizens.122683/page-3#post-1324627

About three miles north of the town of Gettysburg was a farm where Joseph Tate Bayly lived with his wife, Harriet Hamilton Bayly, and their two sons. Harriet’s father, Captain William Hamilton, had served in the Revolutionary War. On June 26, while Federal militia was engaging a Confederate advance body, Joseph and his oldest son of 13 years joined their neighbors to take their horses to safety in the direction of Hanover and York. Soon after they departed, Harriet heard gunfire in the distance and became anxious about her husband and boy. The next day, June 27, small groups of Confederate soldiers roamed around their area, mostly in search of food. On the morning of June 28, Harriet and the remaining members of her family attended church in Gettysburg, and in the afternoon they went to the country school house for Sunday School, but the children and adults were too excited to focus on Godly matters. On June 29, Joseph and his oldest boy returned with the horses. They had hid in the woods as Confederate cavalry passed them on the road to York, when Joseph decided to turn back to look after his family and home. That night, Confederate campfires were visible on South Mountain eight miles distant from the Bayly residence. June 30 passed uneventfully.

Early on July 1, Joseph went to a neighbor’s place on business, their oldest boy went into town with his buddies, and Harriet joined her uncle, Robert Sheakley, on a walk on the ridge road that led to the Chambersburg Pike. After a mile they came to Federal cavalry pickets standing by the roadside. They seemed worn out and their horses looked tired and dusty. They asked Harriet and Robert if they had seen any rebels about. The question was answered by a cannon shot, which raised up many Federal cavalrymen in the fields all around them, as Harriet and Uncle Robert made a hasty retreat for home. It was not long before they encountered mounted Confederates, who put Robert under arrest, but they let Harriet go. As she passed through the enemy soldiers lining the road, she was asked, “Madam, where are the Yankees?” and, “How may Yankees are there out there?” Harriet replied, “Go on, and you will soon find out; I did not stop to count them.” Upon reaching the blacksmith shop, Harriet cut through the fields toward her house, a quarter of a mile away. She noticed that a large flagpole set up at the beginning of the war had been cut down. Harriet was soon stopped again, but in a few minutes the guard let her proceed. At home she found both of her sons, who had been greatly concerned about their mother.

Later, mounted Confederates appeared, looking for horses. Harriet said they could have the unbroken colts if they could catch them in the meadow, but their attempts were futile, and the colts were driven into the barn that night. But the Confederates would return and confiscate their horses, cattle (except for a few cows) and sheep, although they did not find the 30 barrels of flour hidden under a pile of stove wood in the woodshed. Hundreds of Confederates filled the countryside during the day, and many loafers showed up around meal times. Joseph had still not returned home, probably having been detained by a Confederate provost guard.

A knock came on their door at 2 o’clock on the morning of July 2. Harriet and her oldest boy responded. They found a “woe begone little ‘reb,’ about 17 years of age, who said he had been in the fight the day before; that he belonged to a North Carolina service; that his regiment was broken up and scattered; that he had been wandering around all night keeping away from the pickets, and fearing to seek shelter as he never intended doing any more fighting for the Confederacy.” (Harriet Hamilton Bayly, Gettysburg Reminiscence, ca. 1904, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison)

This was Private Mias A. Wilson, whose regiment was shot to pieces in front of Seminary Ridge at 4 p.m. on July 1 by the remnants of Meredith’s (Iron) and Biddle’s brigades at the foot of the ridge, and eight cannon of the Union First Corps closely lined up and firing over the heads of their infantry support. The lad was taken in, given a suit of civilian clothes, and remained with the family until the last of the Confederate army had returned to Virginia. Mias eventually found work on another farm near the battlefield, evidently met and married a local girl, raised a family, and generally prospered until his death in March, 1921.

Joseph filed a claim with the State of Pennsylvania after the war for the loss of one steer, one bull, two cows, three horses (plus another stabled in town on July 1), and 11 sheep, that were taken by the Confederates on July 3, probably by a quartermaster or commissary detachment. (State Claims, Adams County Historical Society files).

However, Joseph omitted mention of having acquired one Confederate soldier.

Last edited:
Great story Tom! Thanks for sharing it.

Seems that Mias A. Wilson married Anna Mary Plank in 1866 and lived happily ever after.
The couple reportedly had NINE children (7 girls and 2 boys):
Emma Louise (b. 09/22/1866 - married Harry Eppleman)
Margaret Elizabeth (b. 03/31/1869 - married Jesse Howard Fissell)
Ella Smyser (b. 08/17/1870 - married an Eyler)
Charles Joseph (b. 12/28/1873)
Mary Alverta (b. 03/06/1877 - married Peter L. Riegle)
Grace A. (b. 06/26/1879 - married John Koerper)
Zoe B. (b. @1886 - may have married Emory Slaybaugh)
Robert A. (b. 11/18/88)
Beulah Letitia (b. 09/22/1891 - married John Colestock)
Mias Wilson worked for a time at the Adams Star and Sentinel. When he died, he was buried at Evergreen Cemetery.
Here is a link to his Find-A-Grave memorial https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=18374079
Listed as Milus Allen Wilson (8 June 1846 - 12 March 1921)
Mius A Wilson deserted Rebel army at Gburg.JPG

Last edited:
The "Jos. Bayly" residence appears on the 1858 Adams County map a little over three miles north of Gettysburg, on the Carlisle Road. I surmise a path led roughly due west from the residence to the Newville Road, and from there a road runs south-southwest and intersects the Chambersburg Pike at Herr's Tavern. The Federal cavalrymen that Harriet encountered on July 1 must have been some advanced pickets from Col. Thomas C. Devin's brigade (under Buford), and the Confederate column she afterwards met was obviously part of Maj. Gen. Robert Rodes' division, moving south. Harriet's recollection suggests the Confederates were in column along the road and had not yet deployed. She may have been speaking with Georgians of Brig. Gen. George Doles' brigade.

GOSH thanks for looking into Mias. It's one of my favorite stories coming out of the battle. Lack the research skills and 'Gettysburg' knowledge to get deeply enough into the whole story- this is crazy wonderful! If anything seemed typical of civilian response to ' invaders ', it was Harriet and Mias, proving who was who- and who was not. Had heard ( erroneously ) he'd bought the farm next door- sorry to leave that piece of poor information on another thread. I'd have scooped up a bedraggled kid, too- and worried about his mother knowing he was safe, toboot.

Cannot remember- did William mention his new brother? Rats. I think maybe he did, in his memoirs on the battle? Billy- then, became a Big Wig, in DC, did extremely well, ( have his illustrious career somewhere because I'm terribly nosy ), wrote of his battle. Have always suspected someone is doing some a terrific amount of research somewhere- there are elements which are tough to find, which just should not be.

I won't ask any more questions although sitting on my hands, not to. Thanks again, for letting us see this side of the battle so much more clearly!

In looking through the carded records for Mias A. Wilson, 16th North Carolina, I noticed a card for a Court Martial, January 23, 1863. Like @JPK Huson 1863 I am also nosy and wanted to know what he was court martialed for. Here are few of the records for the punishments issued to men of the 16th NC in 1863 from A&IGO Record of Courts Martial, 1862-1863, Record Group 109: War Department Collection of Confederate Records, 1825 - 1927, NARA.

Pvt. Thomas Ellwood, Co M, 16th NC Regt., January 27, 1863
Ellwood.JPG

"To forfeit one months pay and to wear a barrel jacket four hours each day for 5 consecutive days with the inscription 'The Celebrated Forager' inscribed thereon."

Pvt. J W Suttles, Co D, 16th NC Regt., Feb 9, 1863

Suttles.JPG

"To forfeit six months pay and to receive 30 Lashes on his naked back in the presence of his Regiment"

Pvt. W F Dover, Co F, 16th NC Regt., Feb 11, 1863

Dover.JPG

"To be branded on the left hip with the letter 'D' three inches in length." <Apparently, his charge was desertion.>

W A Hawkins, Co D, 16th NC Regt, Feb 11, 1863
Hawkins.JPG

"To forfeit six mo's pay, to be bucked and gagged two hours each day for 12 days, and to wear a barrel one time on dress parade, with the inscription 'French leave' marked thereon."

Pvts C. L. Luther, John T. Martin, and D. W. Green, Co F, 16th NC Regt.,Feb 10/12, 1863
Luther Martin Green.JPG

"To forfeit six months pay, to be bucked and gagged two hours each day for ten days, afterwards to carry a log of wood weighing 40 lbs. on his shoulders, three hours each day for ten days." <All three men received the same sentence>

Its a wonder there were any soldiers were left in the 16th North Carolina. Who the heck was their Colonel? And why in the world would you have soooooo many men being court martialed? And these punishments.......oh my Lord.

No wonder the kid, M A Wilson, left the regiment and hid. I haven't found his record yet, and don't know if the punishment for his offense had already been carried out before he deserted or if he deserted in anticipation of it. But it doesn't seem like a good way to build morale to me. :nah disagree:

Ok @Tom Elmore and @JPK Huson 1863 .....since inquiring minds want to know....

I finally found the record of the sentence for M A Wilson's court martial. Judging by the sentence imposed, I am guessing he fell asleep on guard or picket duty?

Pvt. M A Wilson, Co F, 16th NC Regt, March 6, 1863

M A Wilson.JPG

Sentenced. "To forfeit five months pay* and to be made to march in front of a sentinel all night, every other night, of sixteen nights and do camp police duty every day during the time."
Source: NARA, Record Group 109: War Department Collection of Confederate Records, 1825 - 1927, A&IGO Record of Courts Martial, 1862-1863, page 85.

*Since the sentence was imposed on March 6, 1863, M A Wilson wasn't receiving pay at the time he deserted - probably hadn't since February and wasn't going to see his next pay until August.

Last edited:
So the Colonel of the 16th NC was Champ T N Davis, but he was killed May 31, 1862. And the next Col was William A Stowe? Looks like he was serving as Colonel at the time of all these Court Martials with the seemingly over-enthusiastic sentences? Maybe they aren't that outrageous compared to other regiments? I just know in the regiment I am working on (16th GA), there were very few Court Martials and their sentences were mostly stoppage of pay for a month or three. Anyone else have any comparative info for another regiment? And/or an opinion on the relative severity of sentences in Confederate Court Martials?

Lieut. Colonel J. S McElroy took over command April 26th, 1862. Why he doesn't appear in the top group?

Col. J. S. McElroy of the 16th North Carolina wrote the editor of the Asheville News from their camp near Orange Court House, Virginia. The troops had just completed a march of eight days “through the most mountainous portion in Virginia, and a great many of this regiment, as well as others, have marched the entire distance barefooted.” This letter was dated November 29, 1862.

mc.jpg

Last edited:
How did I miss these from April, so sorry! Milas and Harriet is one of my favorite Gettysburg stories. Laptop took a bath in Diet Coke ( don't do that ) or I'd go into files on something I bumped into on Milas' family, rats. Transferring to new one today, will dig it up.

I finally found the record of the sentence for M A Wilson's court martial. Judging by the sentence imposed, I am guessing he fell asleep on guard or picket duty?

We all know military discipline was needed- if incomprehensible to we non-military folks but can you imagine? Poor kid. By the time the army arrived in Pennsylvania he'd have been shredded. SO young- our kids would be leaving muddy soccer socks in front of the washing machine at the age. That he showed up at Harriet's door has always given me an awfully good impression of Milas' mother- you just know the boy recognized something, and acted on it.

We all know military discipline was needed- if incomprehensible to we non-military folks but can you imagine? Poor kid.
Right!?!? I feel bad for the entire 16th NC regiment. Did you read all those other Court Martial sentences in post #6 above the one for Milas Wilson's? And @57th Indiana Infantry 's post about the letter dated Nov 29, 1862 marching over the mountainous terrain... " a great many of this regiment, as well as others, have marched the entire distance barefooted.” This would have immediately preceded the rash of 16th NC Court Martial cases which occurred in Jan/Feb/Mar 1863.

Granted, I have only studied, in detail, the records of the 16th GA. Perhaps the 16th GA was an atypical regiment? But I have looked at my share of Confederate records in other research, and have never seen another regiment that had so many Court Martials with such severe sentences. Maybe Ill start a new thread and see if anyone else can weigh in.

After that march, it was followed by the Battle of Fredericksburg - December 11–15, 1862. Afterwards the 16th NC was in camp till April 1863.

I wonder if the fact that the 16th NC being under Lt. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson > Maj. Gen. A.P. Hill > Gen. William D. Pender influenced hard discipline? (I believe the 16th NC was under Pender)

Battle of Fredericksburg
The Confederate army lost 5,377 (608 killed, 4,116 wounded, 653 captured/missing), most of them in the early fighting on Jackson's front.

16th 2.jpg
fred.jpg

Right!?!? I feel bad for the entire 16th NC regiment. Did you read all those other Court Martial sentences in post #6 above the one for Milas Wilson's? And @57th Indiana Infantry 's post about the letter dated Nov 29, 1862 marching over the mountainous terrain... " a great many of this regiment, as well as others, have marched the entire distance barefooted.” This would have immediately preceded the rash of 16th NC Court Martial cases which occurred in Jan/Feb/Mar 1863.

Granted, I have only studied, in detail, the records of the 16th GA. Perhaps the 16th GA was an atypical regiment? But I have looked at my share of Confederate records in other research, and have never seen another regiment that had so many Court Martials with such severe sentences. Maybe Ill start a new thread and see if anyone else can weigh in.

An overly er, officious officer somewhere? Sure wouldn't have been singular or confined to one army. Had a thread on a young kid, Milas' age, sentenced to death for falling asleep. He'd been pretty well kidnapped by bounty hunters, too. None of the officers would listen to his story. Mother showed up at a home for destitute soldiers' wives in DC. Lincoln reversed it but how many died whose mothers and wives couldn't make it to Washington?

What a waste and tragedy.

A sequel to this story can be told, thanks to an account by Walter Alexander Montgomery, who was a 4th sergeant in the 12th North Carolina at Gettysburg, detailed to the commissary department. Montgomery's account, The Days of Old and the Years that are Past (found online), was recently brought to my attention my noted author Robert J. Wynstra.

Montgomery writes that he visited the battlefield in 1897 and was on the Mummasburg road trying to locate the position of Dole's brigade on July 1. A buggy with two men happened to pass along the road, and Montgomery hailed them for information. "The youngest man, apparently between fifty and sixty" responded, and from his accent Montgomery deduced he was from Georgia or North Carolina. The man took offense at a supposed insinuation, but when Montgomery replied that he was a man of peace and did not intend an insult, the man opened up and related his story. He said "he had been a member of Scales' North Carolina brigade, 16th Regiment, enlisted from Buncombe County." He explained that he "was wounded a few hundred yards from where we were conversing; he pointed in the direction of the 'Reynolds' woods,' and said that with his brigade he advanced from about that point and fought through the battle of the first day and also that of the third; that, being satisfied that the War was decided there against the South, that the probabilities were that he would be killed or disabled if he continued with the army, and that it was 'a rich man's war and a poor man's fight,' he lay still when his brigade was ordered to withdraw on the night of the Fourth, and surrendered to the 'Yankees' the next morning. He said further that a number of his company had agreed to act with him, but that when the time came they, through fear of being recaptured or ashamed to desert, followed their command on the retreat. Continuing, he said that many of his comrades, some of them having been engaged in almost all of the important battles of the war, often discussed among themselves the question of desertion from every standpoint."

Odds are very high, in my opinion, that Montgomery was talking with Mias A. Wilson, formerly of Company F, 16th North Carolina. The clincher is that Company F was the only company in the regiment from Buncombe County. There remains a glaring discrepancy in the date of the desertion, July 2 versus July 4, but it might be due to either 1) an honest mistake by Montgomery in recounting the story; 2) an error in dates made by Harriet Bayly; or 3) a deliberate alteration of the facts by Wilson to portray his motives for desertion in a better light and/or to modify the circumstances to protect the Bayly family. I am inclined to think the latter most likely, especially in light of the court martial information uncovered by lelliott19 (post #7).

Like Mias Wilson, Walter Montgomery died in 1921.

Last edited:
Back