Storming of Missionary Ridge

Ragged Old First

Corporal
resolver.jpeg

Storming of Missionary Ridge. [graphic] / A view from Panorama Chestnut St., near 22[nd Street Philade]lphia, Pa.; Compliments Philadelphia Panorama Co.

https://digital.librarycompany.org/...gion=0%2C0%2C848%2C1200&dimensions=1200%2C849

Creator Philadelphia Panorama Co., distributor.

Title Storming of Missionary Ridge. [graphic] / A view from Panorama Chestnut St., near 22[nd Street Philade]lphia, Pa.; Compliments Philadelphia Panorama Co.

Publisher Camden, New Jersey: Pfeil & Golz Co

Date [ca. 1880]

Physical Description 1 print: chromolithograph; 25 x 36 cm.(10.25 x 14 in.)

Description Panoramic view showing the Union victory at the Battle of Missionary Ridge near Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 25, 1863. Shows Union troops carrying an American flag as the men break through the Confederate line. An African American Union corps drummer marches behind the soldiers. Also shows Union and Confederate soldiers firing and falling in battle near brush and fallen trees and Confederate troops retreating past a homestead in the background.

The most notable thing about this picture is that it's one of the few remaining records showing part of the now-vanished Missionary Ridge Panorama (Cyclorama) another in the genre from which only the Atlanta and Gettysburg survive in this country. I know of a few others and have visited the one at Waterloo, Belgium; another showing the 1812 Battle of Borodino is in Moscow.

When Life magazine did their Centennial issues way back when they had an excellent painting of the fight at Missionary Ridge, at least as I recall. I never saw it reproduced online.
I think I have a copy of that issue. I grew up with it, and some of the paintings in it are simply fantastic. The storming of Missionary Ridge is one of them. The finest painting in the issue has to be the Battle of the Crater. Anyway, that issue framed my perception of the Civil War from an early age. I have spent hours looking it over the years.

I think I have a copy of that issue. I grew up with it, and some of the paintings in it are simply fantastic. The storming of Missionary Ridge is one of them. The finest painting in the issue has to be the Battle of the Crater. Anyway, that issue framed my perception of the Civil War from an early age. I have spent hours looking it over the years.

41A79EFF-06CC-4E37-9DCC-23F3E5430957.jpeg

Back