Stonewall "Stonewall"

As an aside, as far as I know, this whole speech comes to us by way of Henry Kyd Douglas, who said in his Stonewall Rode With Me... er, I mean, I Rode With Stonewall that he went into his tent after this speech and wrote it all down lest it be forgotten. I wonder if he is Lt. Col. Henderson's source.

Great speech, and probably just about the only one Jackson ever gave.

Makes the hairs on my neck stand up, and now, I will go and die for my country.

Sincerely,
dvrmte

Interesting bits:

O.R.--SERIES II--VOLUME IV [S# 117]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, ETC., RELATING TO PRISONERS OF WAR AND STATE FROM JUNE 13, 1862, TO NOVEMBER 30, 1862.--#11
HEADQUARTERS MIDDLE DEPARTMENT,
Baltimore, Md., July 23, 1862.
W. A. VAN NOSTRAND, Marshal of Police, Baltimore, Md.
SIR: Bvt. Brig. Gen. W. W. Morris, commanding in Baltimore and vicinity during the temporary absence of the major-general commanding the department, directs that you arrest and send to Fort McHenry the following persons, viz: Charles H. Kehr and Henry McCaffrey, the composer and publisher of a piece of music entitled the Stonewall Quickstep, dedicated to T. J. Jackson, general, C. S. Army.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
[WM. D. WHIPPLE,]
Assistant Adjutant-General.
----------------------------------------------------------
O.R.--SERIES II--VOLUME V [S# 118]
UNION CORRESPONDENCE, ORDERS, ETC., RELATING TO PRISONERS OF WAR AND STATE FROM DECEMBER 1, 1862, TO JUNE 10, 1863.--#24
FORT MONROE, May 12, 1863.
Hon. E. M. STANTON:
I am informed on good authority that General Stonewall Jackson is not expected to live. He was shot by accident by his own men.
General Hays is reported not to be wounded and Mr. Ould promises to me has immediate delivery and also the delivery of the other captured officers.
WM. H. LUDLOW,
Lieutenant-Colonel, &c.
-----
Navy O.R.-- Series II--Volume 3
State Department correspondence with diplomatic agents, etc. (1863).
A. D. Mann to State Department. May 28(No. 48.) Reports the death of Stonewall Jackson on May 3, which caused great sorrow in the Confederacy and much sympathy in Europe. 779
-------
J. M. Mason to State Department. July 2(No. 41.) Acknowledges a design of the now flag and copy of the act of Congress adopting it; also device for the new seal, and joint resolution establishing it. Encloses circular concerning a monument to be erected in England to General Stonewall Jackson. Gives details of the ease of the Margaret and Jessie, fired on by a United States vessel near Eleuthera. Reports latent news of England, and Spain's attitude toward recognition. 824
----------
M. E. Wolf

What happened to the "Rally behind the Virginians" part? Is that a Foote-ism or something?

Shelby got his version from the Southern Historical Society Papers, which anyone who knows me will tell you I put little credibility in.

Here's how Professor Robertson puts it:

"Over on the right of Jackson's line, a solitary horseman came up from the bottom of Henry Hill. The man was fully six feet tall, and he sat in the saddle with the mature bearing of a soldier. Jet-black eyes, dark mustache and goatee, long hair, and a general's uniform 'made him the cynosure of all,' one of Jackson's men commented. The officer reined to a halt inside the lines and inquired what troops they were. A surgeon identified the valley brigade and pointed to Jackson giving instructions. As the rider approached, Jackson instantly recognized his West Point friend and comrade-in-arms, Barnard Bee. The South Carolinian saluted quickly and, with understandable agitation, gave a quick report of the collapse of his lines. He suddenly exclaimed, 'General they are driving us!' Jackson looked to the northwest with brutal determination etched in his face. His reply was just as stern: 'Sir, we will give them the bayonet.'

"Now occurred one of those dramatic moments in history when legend is born. Bee had no high regard for the bayonet, but Jackson's resolve filled him with new confidence. The Carolinian galloped back to the ravine where officers were trying to untangle bits and pieces of units and establish a defensive line. Bee rode into the middle of the throng; pointing his sword toward the crest of Henry Hill, he shouted in a booming voice: 'Look, men, there is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Let us determine to die here, and we will conquer! Follow me!' Bee would die there later in the day. He gave to the Southern cause not only his life but also the most famous nickname in American military history." [James I. Robertson, _Stonewall Jackson: The Man, the Soldier, the Legend,_ pp. 263-264]

On page 835, in the discussion of footnote 37, Prof. Robertson goes into great detail about the various versions of what Bee said and goes into the charge by two officers with axes to grind against Jackson that Bee meant it in a disparaging way.

Douglas Southall Freeman also discusses the origin of the nickname in _Lee's Lieutenants,_ Vol 1, pp. 733-734. Prof. Robertson says that Freeman's conclusions "remain sound."

I'm prejudiced, since I studied Civil War History from Prof. Robertson, but I think he is the most authoritative voice on Jackson.

Regards,
Cash

Me too! I emailed him a while back to ask about Jackson and land mines, and he not only bothered to reply, but replied the very same day.

Me too! I emailed him a while back to ask about Jackson and land mines, and he not only bothered to reply, but replied the very same day.

You will not find a finer gentleman anywhere. He's a great scholar, a great teacher, and a great human being.

William C. "Jack" Davis has joined him as a teaching partner, and so far it's produced four books and counting as well as a number of conferences and other academic ventures. I had the pleasure of meeting Jack and his lovely bride a few years back. My daughter had the pleasure of having Jack as her thesis advisor, and he's a terrific guy as well.

Regards,
Cash

Back