Stonewall Stonewall Jackson's lemons.

No, but there are many misguided stereotypical beliefs about the real South which are difficult to eradicate. I believe
@Biscoitos may have been referring to. (If I read the post in the way it was intended.)

He quoted your post about lemons and oranges for his reply. Whatever "misguided stereotypes" about the "real South" people have, agriculture is usually a separate issue.

Pineapples were once the primary crop in SE Florida. I doubt many people today are aware of that. It has nothing to do with stereotypes about the South or Florida.

Henry Kyd Douglas in I Rode With Stonewall states ..."someone handed him a lemon--a fruit of which he was especially fond."
H K Douglas is something less than a credible source. Much of what he wrote is suspect. Bud Robinson is far more credible. Peaches were Jackson’s favorite fruit.
As a Stonewall Jackson House docent I’ve done a lot of research on Jackson. I stick by my assessment of lemons being more legend than fact.

H K Douglas is something less than a credible source. Much of what he wrote is suspect. Bud Robinson is far more credible. Peaches were Jackson’s favorite fruit.
As a Stonewall Jackson House docent I’ve done a lot of research on Jackson. I stick by my assessment of lemons being more legend than fact.
I like the peaches scene in Gods and Generals director's cut. His Doctor McGuire gives it to him kindness from the ladies in Sharpsburg. That filming was after 9/11.

The lemon stuff has taken on a life of it's own and is overblown. Just ask yourself....where is a Confederate general in VA getting lemons from.

Peaches are grown in VA for sure but lemons?

Is it true that Jackson loved lemons?
Jackson was very concerned about his health and followed a strict diet which emphasized fruits and vegetables. Although he enjoyed almost every variety of fruit, he had no special fondness for lemons; in fact, peaches were his favorite. Civil War historian James I. Robertson, Jr., Jackson's biographer, states that "no member of Jackson's staff, no friend, not even his wife ever mentioned Jackson had a particular penchant for lemons," and refers to the "lemon myth." It is true that Jackson was observed eating lemons on several occasions during the war; this was due only to the fact that he ate whatever fruit was available. When the Confederates captured a Union camp, lemons were sometimes among the food stores that they confiscated; the Union soldiers received lemons and other fruits more frequently than did their Confederate counterparts. Despite the historical inaccuracy, the story remains popular. Tourists who visit Jackson's gravesite at Lexington, Virginia, often leave lemons as a tribute

The lemon thing is a myth ...I’m devastated always thought it was 100% legit 🙁

The lemon thing is a myth ...I’m devastated always thought it was 100% legit 🙁
Liked lemons and seen with lemons... how could that be a myth?
When ever I read stuff about myths I'm like they aren't myth's they actually happened lol.
As Robertson says in his biography, Jackson was fond of ALL fruit, apparently also including bitter persimmons. As previously noted, Robertson also says peaches were his favorite, but that didn't prevent him from indulging in lemons, when they were available. The availability is likely the clue here: being imported, in wartime their best source was the stores of captured Federal sutlers, therefore they weren't as available as native peaches were likely to be.

As Robertson says in his biography, Jackson was fond of ALL fruit, apparently also including bitter persimmons. As previously noted, Robertson also says peaches were his favorite, but that didn't prevent him from indulging in lemons, when they were available. The availability is likely the clue here: being imported, in wartime their best source was the stores of captured Federal sutlers, therefore they weren't as available as native peaches were likely to be.
He always thought his wife's lemoniid was always to sweet.

princeandprofessor.jpg

Liked lemons and seen with lemons... how could that be a myth?
Probably the best and best-known description of Jackson with a lemon is found in Lt. Gen. Richard Taylor's memoir of the war titled Destruction and Reconstruction, including his service under Jackson. He writes about their first meeting in the Shenandoah Valley, riding up at the head of his Louisiana brigade to greet and salute Jackson who was sitting on a fence rail enjoying the fruit, captured above in the modern painting of the event by Bradley Schmehl called The Prince And The Professor. Taylor, the Prince of the title because he was the son of General and President Zachary Taylor, penned an evocative word portrait of the threadbare, seedy, and dusty former VMI professor with oversize boots, a faded cap pulled down low over his eyes, and the lemon "wiggling in his beard."

Last edited:
Back