1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Stonewall Jackson's killer ?

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by W. Richardson, Jun 10, 2016.

1. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

It is said Hill... "he threw himself down onto the roadway". If this is correct Hill would have been south and east of Jackson. Hill in the road, Jackson in the woods trail a short distance away...

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

There was a cross fire after the volley erupted and some of the party were definitely hit by Yankee bullets. I was looking at McQuire's record of Jackson's surgery and he doesn't seem to mention if all the bullets he observed were Confederate. I think there was at least one that was not but can't find confirmation.

4. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Some yanks were over run and being shuttled to the rear in the same area as Hill party being wound. This yank desribed the shelling. He said the 6 rounds (6 guns to the battery) came in together, and about 5 feet off the ground all exploded. There was more than one bsttery.

5. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Yeah Taylor was dead, shot 5 times i think, dead along with his horse.

6. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Two minie balls in boswells heart. Say what?

7. diane

They had a heck of a time getting Stonewall out of there because of the heavy fire. One kid was shot straight through the shoulders and eventually lost BOTH arms. Think there were two or three times the stretcher bearers went down and the general with them. Ironically, he might have survived the shooting if he had not gotten pneumonia from cracking his ribs going down. (Robertson, the premier Jackson authority, says now he would change the cause of death to sepsis.)

Rio Bravo likes this.
  8. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

I always cringe when he gets dropped.

9. diane

That dropping wasn't just a wee tip - they were carrying him at shoulder height. So, when they dumped him he took a real fall! The second one he bounced off a stump. :x3: :x3: :x3:

10. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo First Sergeant

At What distance was Jackson & his staff shot ?

11. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

I feel so bad for laughing. I totally love the man. His soldiers taught me that...but i am such a longstreet fan. lol

12. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Our posts came out reversed. Let me check the maps real quick for distance.

13. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

70 yards or so. Hill at 50ish.

14. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

A similar famous incident of the American Revolution occurred at Saratoga in upstate New York when British General Simon Fraser commanding "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne's right during the Second Battle of Freeman's Farm was shot and mortally wounded bringing his attack to a halt and precipitating a retreat. In front of the American lines was Virginian Daniel Morgan's battalion of riflemen armed with so-called Kentucky or Pennsylvania longrifles. The mounted Fraser was an obvious mark, one Morgan had called for his men to shoot, but like with Jackson, etc. there were conflicting claims. One of Morgan's men was an Irish immigrant and loudmouth braggart named Timothy Murphy who was happy to take all the credit. He had been posted in a tree acting as a sniper but there were plenty of other of Morgan's men also aiming for Fraser. An article I read long ago in American Rifleman pretty convincingly showed that despite Murphy's claims it was more likely one of the riflemen kneeling or lying on the ground who was the shooter.

15. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

This is a picture of the area. WhereStonewallWasShot-ChancellorsvilleVA.jpg

Aussie Billy Sherman likes this.
  16. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

You must mean for Longstreet because I don't see the marker for Jackson?

17. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

This is from behind the union line that jackson has come against. The view is looking west down rout 3. In the background two batteries an probably some smoke from the 12th, 2nd, or 3rd Corps eruptes across the small valley blazing away.
    Battle-chancellorsville.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  18. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Its from...its like your back was to the monument looking eastish.there is no statue of him on a horse or nothing.

James N. likes this.
  19. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

20. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

Well, I prefaced it with a "if I recall", so please excuse me.

21. SharonS

SharonS Private

Mathew Lively's Calamity at Chancellorsville has the best analysis I've read of the incidents surrounding the wounding. He's the writer who believes, contrary to most modern historians, that Jackson was on the Plank Road and not the Mountain Road when he was hit. Lively goes into remarkable detail about that night, including the nature of Jackson's wounds and the trajectories of the bullets that struck him. Lively is a medical doctor and also has great detail about what actually killed Jackson (he believes the reported symptoms were consistent with pneumonia). Anybody who has any interest in the death of Stonewall Jackson should find a copy of this book.

James N. and theoldman like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)