1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Stonewall Jackson's killer ?

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by W. Richardson, Jun 10, 2016.

1. W. Richardson

W. Richardson Captain

I have never heard of this and if I have I do not remember it. What supposedly was his evidence other than his word and his comrade's words ?

Sausalito News, Volume 31, Number 52, 25 December 1915

STONEWALL JACKSON’S SUPPOSED SLAYER DIES

Daniel Rankin Always Belied He Killed Famous General

Boston. —Daniel Rankin, a Civil War veteran of Taunton, Mass., died at his home December 16. He had always believed that it was a shot from his rifle that killed Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville. Rankin's belief that it was he who killed the Southern leader was always upheld by men of his company, who were on the picket line at the time.

Source: http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SN19151225.2.85

Stonewall's Killer.JPG

Stonewall Jackson - 3.JPG
    Respectfully,
    William

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. pfcjking

pfcjking Sergeant Major

Yeah... probably not.

If I recall, it was men of the 11th NC Infantry, and it was a volley.

Little Sorrel ran towards the Yankee line after Jackson was hit. If the Volley was from the Yankee line, why would the horse run in that direction?

Jamieva likes this.
  4. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Sounds doubtful to me. As for members of the North Carolina regiment involved, they always believed some of them had done it, and there were likely "candidates" among them; still they couldn't be sure exactly who it was.

Nathanb1 and W. Richardson like this.
  5. Dave Wilma

Dave Wilma 2nd Lieutenant

It was probably a good way to get a free drink over all those years.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  6. Karacivilwarchild

Karacivilwarchild Private

i dont think so. it said that jackson was shot by friendly fire

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. AUG351

AUG351 Captain Forum Host

Actually wasn't it the 18th North Carolina in Lane's Brigade?

8. David Knight

David Knight Sergeant

Never heard or read this before. Sounds like someone taking credit for something he didn't do.

ShenValleyGray and W. Richardson like this.
  9. Stony

Stony 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Yes it was a member of the 18 NC. And exactly who it isn't known. It has been narrowed down to two or three men.

James N., AUG351 and W. Richardson like this.
  10. theoldman

theoldman First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Lane had his own picket line out and the accounts I have read say that Jackson never reached Lane's pickets so he could never have reached the Union picket line.

11. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

It sounds like the story of who shot Nelson at Trafalgar! There were no less than 36 claims to that dubious honor and maybe three or four actually might been the shooter. Truth is, the admiral walked into a bullet meant for anybody. That's all!

Think that's exactly what happened to Jackson, more or less. I know the bullet removed from Jackson's right hand was Confederate but don't recall the left arm. Dr McGuire didn't bother to fool with it since the arm was coming off. "Wild fire, sir! Wild fire!" muttered Jackson after the shooting.

12. Aussie Billy Sherman

Aussie Billy Sherman First Sergeant

Much like whoever shot Longstreet, Reynolds and Sedgwick, I'm sure there was many claims for this

Speaking of the Longstreet shooting, I know it was fairly close to where Jackson was hit. Anyone know the exact distance?

13. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

A horse will run every where. Have read countless times of a rider being dragged into enemy lines and the enemy is the clear source of fire.

diane likes this.
  14. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

A little under 10 miles. I know that Chancelloresville and Wilderness get lumped together, they really are two different battlefields.

Aussie Billy Sherman likes this.
  15. diane

Little Sorrel was a galvanized rebel anyway, having been liberated from the Union by Old Blue Light's men during one of their raids. He once ran off with Jackson, headed for Union lines, before the night of the shooting, and had been returned by Federals at least twice...once they stole him and once he went to them himself!

pfcjking, James N. and PotomacDan like this.
  16. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

Perhaps we view the shooting as happening in some quite vacuum, but Jackson was in a chaotic area. Within yards of him the yankees were shelling the area (the woods, the roads) for all its worth. Union cavalry leader Alfred Pleasonton led a cavalry charge north from Hazel Grove to an area just behind were Jackson and Hill (and staff) were, and about the time of the wounding. Total chaos. Pleasonton would claim this charge killed Jackson et all. Let me add that Jackson was wounded by roundball. All three - Lane's men, the shells bursting, and the cavalry all had round ball. All this has led me to "who knows!"

17. diane

I think, too, the same misfortune took Longstreet - for years it appeared his injury had been caused by a sniper in a tree, the trajectory of the bullet being through his throat and out below the shoulder. Newer information shows that it was actually reversed! Longstreet was shot in the back, bullet exiting not entering the throat, by someone lying on the ground behind him...which would be one of his own men. Since he was trying to stop two brigades from shooting each other, it's no wonder this happened. It's sure not the kind of thing someone is going to come forward years later and admit to!

For Jackson, though, as PotomacDan says, it was chaotic there. One thing that doesn't get noted much is how many people and horses were killed and wounded besides Jackson!

Northern Light and James N. like this.
  18. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

And the person laying in the ground...the yankees said that in the Wilderness, as they advanced thru the woods the Rebs would rise out the leaves, fire and fall back. This continued till the Yanks met the main confederate line. Again Rebs were hidden, down in the stream bed and folige below, and across the small valley amongst the trees and what not dug into it.

diane likes this.
  19. PotomacDan

PotomacDan Private

"Three balls hit jackson, even tho his was among the farthest from the offending muskets...a.p. hill's detachment, much closer suffered dreadfully...Capt. Boswell instantly fell dead, two bullets through his heart (rifled, not smootbore). Two men saw Boswell's famous black stallion dash toward the enemy...
    Major Palmer's horse was killed...in the melee. Capt Howard's horse took a bullet, panicked, and carried the helpless rider thru most of the federal army...Sgt Tucker undewent an almost identical ordeal...bullets killed courier Sanders, hit courier Muse in the face twice (he survived) and killed Muse's horse. James Forbe's was mortally wounded. The only two staff members not killed, injured, or captured, were Leigh and Murray Taylor, each of whose horses were killed. Only A.P. Hill...esacaped together with his mount...from 'Chancelloresville, The Battle and it's Aftermath'

James N., Rio Bravo and diane like this.
  20. diane

A P Hill's ten-man party were all killed or badly wounded, except for Hill himself. He had thrown himself face down on the ground instead of trying to flee. Only two escaped, and Hill was trying to pull his aide Taylor out from under his dead horse when he heard Jackson was hit. "Help yourself," he told Taylor. "I must go to the general." He used a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and probably saved Jackson's life. Jackson's party was furthest away from the volley and still - and Jackson would say this was what God wanted - the worst of the shots hit just him!

21. diane

Didn't see your post, PotomacDan! :D What a chaotic mess it was, indeed. And later, some who survived were shot again - like A P Hill. Hearing the ruckus, the Union artillery opened up and Hill was grazed by a cannonball along his legs that cut off the tops of his high boots - it disabled him and he couldn't take command. All the officers were down by this time!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)