©Michael Kendra, 2015.

Battlefield: City of Richmond, Virginia

and The Boulevard (now Arthur Ashe Boulevard)​

Map Coordinates: 37° 33' 37.90", -77° 28' 16.69"

Part of: ANV

MONUMENT DETAILS

Artist: William F. Sievers

Date Conceived: November 29, 1911

Planning & Fundraising: Rev. James Powers Smith as president of the The Jackson Monument Corporation. Jackson’s widow Mary Anna supported the fundraising. The UDC contributed to fundraising efforts.

Cornerstone Laid: June 3, 1915

Dedicated: October 11, 1919

Cost: about $40,000.00
  • $10,000.00 appropriated by the State Legislature
  • $10,000.00 by the City of Richmond
  • $5,000 by the sale of Confederate Flags
  • The remainder from individual contributions

Dimensions: Sculpture: H. 17.5 ft.; Base: H. 20.5 ft.

Sculpture Removed from Base: July 1, 2020 by emergency order of Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney citing a "severe, immediate and growing threat to public safety" and taken to an undisclosed location in unknown condition.

East and West Faces
STONEWALL JACKSON​

North side of the Base
BORN 1824
DIED AT CHANCELORSVILLE
1863​

Description: A great equestrian bronze figure of 17 feet in height on a 20 foot tall oval granite pedestal of General Jackson astride his horse. Oak leaves adorn the statue base and may be a reference to the characterizing of Jackson as stoic. There is an art deco (Greek styled) frieze lining the top of the base. The statue is oriented to the North in order to keep a watchful eye on the Union.

The Dedication Ceremony: As this was shortly after World War I, this statue was sure to evoke the "brave young soldier", welcoming the return of another great generation of soldiers. The Jackson family was in attendance, as well as the State Governor, and even arrived on site in automobiles. The grandson of Robert E. Lee gave a speech, as well as Stonewall's granddaughter. When the time came to unveil the new statue the son of the sculptor pulled the ropes. a celebratory parade completed the dedication, including Virginia National Guard, VMI Cadets, and many gathered schoolchildren.

LOCATION MAP

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

1578423106836.png
1578423186855.png

Detail of bronze equestrian, 2015, ©Michael Kendra

1578426465328.png
1578426426238.png

Confederate Veteran, Volume 28, February, 1920, No. 2 (Click on Page to Zoom In)

Last edited:

View attachment 341416
Stonewall Jackson Monument - Monument Ave, Richmond, VA
©Michael Kendra, 2015.

Battlefield: City of Richmond, Virginia

and The Boulevard (now Arthur Ashe Boulevard)​

Map Coordinates: 37° 33' 37.90", -77° 28' 16.69"

Part of: ANV

MONUMENT DETAILS

Artist: William F. Sievers

Date Conceived: November 29, 1911

Planning & Fundraising: Rev. James Powers Smith as president of the The Jackson Monument Corporation. Jackson’s widow Mary Anna supported the fundraising. The UDC contributed to fundraising efforts.

Cornerstone Laid: June 3, 1915

Dedicated: October 11, 1919

Cost: about $40,000.00
  • $10,000.00 appropriated by the State Legislature
  • $10,000.00 by the City of Richmond
  • $5,000 by the sale of Confederate Flags
  • The remainder from individual contributions

Dimensions: Sculpture: H. 17.5 ft.; Base: H. 20.5 ft.

East and West Faces
STONEWALL JACKSON​

North side of the Base
BORN 1824
DIED AT CHANCELORSVILLE
1863​

Description: A great equestrian bronze figure of 17 feet in height on a 20 foot tall oval granite pedestal of General Jackson astride his horse. Oak leaves adorn the statue base and may be a reference to the characterizing of Jackson as stoic. There is an art deco (Greek styled) frieze lining the top of the base. The statue is oriented to the North in order to keep a watchful eye on the Union.

The Dedication Ceremony: As this was shortly after World War I, this statue was sure to evoke the "brave young soldier", welcoming the return of another great generation of soldiers. The Jackson family was in attendance, as well as the State Governor, and even arrived on site in automobiles. The grandson of Robert E. Lee gave a speech, as well as Stonewall's granddaughter. When the time came to unveil the new statue the son of the sculptor pulled the ropes. a celebratory parade completed the dedication, including Virginia National Guard, VMI Cadets, and many gathered schoolchildren.

LOCATION MAP

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS

View attachment 341417 View attachment 341418
Detail of bronze equestrian, 2015, ©Michael Kendra

View attachment 341432 View attachment 341431
Confederate Veteran, Volume 28, February, 1920, No. 2 (Click on Page to Zoom In)
Great post. Monument Ave is something to see. I was fortunate enough to visit it back in 2016. I took many photo of all the great monuments that day. The sunlight was perfect. Thanks for sharing. Amazing how small the cost was in terms of today’s money.

I was originally going to visit Virginian battlefields in May.....but then the Shiloh Muster was decided upon for that time and I'm presenting, so that changed. But I had planned on basing myself out of Richmond and I would have spent a day visiting the sites there and would have hit Monument Row and seen this statue.

Back