Featured Stonewall Stonewall Jackson in Popular Art

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Jackson by Don Troiani
Jackson is With You.jpg

I was recently reminded that I have put no gallery in this forum to showcase the many "popular" modern art prints featuring Jackson and his exploits. It seems the market for "collectable" art prints like this has fallen on somewhat hard times, because I found not one but two examples of Don Troiani's Jackson is With You! at bargan-basement rates in a shop at Gettysburg. ( I only bought one of them though, which is currently at the frame shop! ) Although Troiani is my favorite of the contemporary historical artists, he is only one of many. In addition to his works, I invite you to post as many of his or those of others like Kunstler, Schmehl, Gallon, etc.

Jackson is With You! depicts a critical moment during the Battle of Cedar Mountain when Stonewall was taken by surprise and had to rally his men who had broken under a sudden unexpected and uncharacteristic thrust by Union troops under Nathaniel Banks. Jackson, unable to draw his sword from its scabbard, unfastened it from its straps and waved it about while shouting the print's title. Fortunately his men rallied, and supported by A. P. Hill's Division were able to counterattack and drive Banks from the field.

escanear0332.jpg

Troiani's earlier print Before the Storm showing Jackson at Chancellorsville is one of my favorites and sells for ungodly amounts on the secondary market. I could kick myself that twenty years ago I had a chance to buy a framed copy of Old Jack at the NPS gift shop at Shiloh for $125 and passed on it!

civilwarbig-old-jack_new-jpg.jpg

Here's another early Troiani, Drive them to Washington depicting Jackson at First Bull Run/Manassas:

Drive-Them-To-Washington.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Making of a Masterpiece: Last Tribute of Respect - 12
The Last Tribute of Respect

In the days following his passing, newspapers printed tributes to the man that many considered a national treasure. The Richmond Times Dispatch published an especially warm homage that summed up the grief of the Confederate faithful. It stated, “Words have no power to express the emotion, which the death of Jackson has aroused in the public mind.”

CW-334 Last Tribute of Respect.jpg

Mort Künstler’s skillful use of light and shade, color and shadow, give this particular painting a sense of depth. He has also simultaneously captured the somberness of the occasion with the colorful pageantry of the ceremony.

This painting is the only one in existence featuring the transfer of Jackson’s casket from the Virginia Military Institute, en route to the funeral service at the Lexington Presbyterian Church.

http://blog.mortkunstler.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

The Making of a Masterpiece: Last Tribute of Respect - 12

In the days following his passing, newspapers printed tributes to the man that many considered a national treasure. The Richmond Times Dispatch published an especially warm homage that summed up the grief of the Confederate faithful. It stated, “Words have no power to express the emotion, which the death of Jackson has aroused in the public mind.”

View attachment 46449
Mort Künstler’s skillful use of light and shade, color and shadow, give this particular painting a sense of depth. He has also simultaneously captured the somberness of the occasion with the colorful pageantry of the ceremony.

This painting is the only one in existence featuring the transfer of Jackson’s casket from the Virginia Military Institute, en route to the funeral service at the Lexington Presbyterian Church.

http://blog.mortkunstler.com/2010_05_01_archive.html

I'm glad to see Kunstler ( not one of my favorites ) got the detail that this somber occasion was the inauspicious and unfortunate first time the Confederate Second National flag saw use. Supposedly this was the very first one that had been made so far, and only a few of them were present with Lee's army at Gettysburg, all in the division of Robert Rodes, I believe.

lord-of-the-valley-dan-nance-jpg.jpg

I've posted Dan Nance's Lord of the Valley before ( and even used it briefly as my avatar when I first became host of this forum ) but that was a while ago, so here it is again. I thought it captured well the overall sternness and plainness of Jackson.

915hzB1bCDL._SL1500_.jpg

Bradley Schmehl's The Prince and the Professor is somewhat similar in it's depiction of Jackson as described by Richard Taylor ( the "prince" of the title since he was the son and heir of President Gen. Zach Taylor ) as he first saw him sitting in a fence corner covered with dust from the road.

Last edited:
915hzB1bCDL._SL1500_.jpg

Bradley Schmehl's The Prince and the Professor is somewhat similar in it's depiction of Jackson as described by Richard Taylor ( the "prince" of the title since he was the son and heir of President Gen. Zach Taylor ) as he first saw him sitting in a fence corner covered with dust from the road.

This is one of my favorites. Richard Taylor was the guy who started the Lemon Thing with Stonewall! Actually, he kept peaches and apples in his pockets more than lemons. He and Jack LaLanne would have gotten along famously - both believed food should be only fuel for the body, not taste good. If Jackson had enjoyed lemons, he would have stopped eating them!

It's finished! Yesterday I got it hung properly after getting it back from the frame shop the day before It's bigger than my other Troiani's, so I had to move things around a bit: it displaced Bronze Guns and Iron Men which in turn had to displace Schmehl's Grim Harvest of War in order to keep the Troiani's in the same room!

DSC02784.JPG

It's finished! Yesterday I got it hung properly after getting it back from the frame shop the day before It's bigger than my other Troiani's, so I had to move things around a bit: it displaced Bronze Guns and Iron Men which in turn had to displace Schmehl's Grim Harvest of War in order to keep the Troiani's in the same room!

View attachment 47210

Beautiful!

Wyeth Jackson.jpg

While on vacation last month in the Shenandoah Valley I found at New Market Battlefield State Park a print of another of my favorite depictions of Jackson, this one by early Twentieth Century artist and illustrator N. C. Wyeth, father of the more recent Andrew and grandfather of Jamie. Wyeth's Jackson was painted originally as the frontispiece of the 1911 romantic novel by Mary Johnston called The Long Roll. I've just gotten it back from the framers, so now it also graces my ever-cluttered walls!

View attachment 67661

While on vacation last month in the Shenandoah Valley I found at New Market Battlefield State Park a print of another of my favorite depictions of Jackson, this one by early Twentieth Century artist and illustrator N. C. Wyeth, father of the more recent Andrew and grandfather of Jamie. Wyeth's Jackson was painted originally as the frontispiece of the 1911 romantic novel by Mary Johnston called The Long Roll. I've just gotten it back from the framers, so now it also graces my ever-cluttered walls!

If you get too many, you can start rotating them to my house.

It's finished! Yesterday I got it hung properly
James N.
Your display looks inviting to a fellow Civil War Nut like me. Well done.

All works of art from very talented hands! Especially favor "The Last Council" as the expressions of thought and lighting are beautifully conveyed.

Back