Featured Stonewall Stonewall Jackson in Popular Art

a few more by John Paul Strain, who has about 30 more paintings of Jackson on his site:

A ride with Anna

ride-with-anna-zoom.jpg

Apples for Ashley:

Apples_For_Ashby-large.jpg

Battlefield prayer:

Battlefield-Prayer-by-John-Paul-Strain.jpg

The Bridge at Romney:

bridge-at-romney.jpg

If I keep looking at these, I'm liable to get up, load my rifle, and take off walking to Winchester to sign up for the Stonewall Brigade.
These beautiful paintings are so inspiring.
When I lived in Front Royal, VA, there was, and is a little coffee shop in the middle of town called "Daily Grind". They had a painting of Early and his staff from the 1864 Shenandoah Campaign. It was beautiful as well.

a few more by John Paul Strain, who has about 30 more paintings of Jackson on his site:

A ride with Anna

ride-with-anna-zoom.jpg

Apples for Ashley:

Apples_For_Ashby-large.jpg

Battlefield prayer:

Battlefield-Prayer-by-John-Paul-Strain.jpg

The Bridge at Romney:

bridge-at-romney.jpg

Thanks to E_just_E and the others who have contributed to this thread - this is exactly what I was hoping for when I began it! If you know more, please post them. I've seen a sales exhibit of Strain's work in person and it's remarkable the detail he gets into his paintings - he's certainly one of my favorites, though I only own Troiani and Schmehl modern prints.

I want soooo badly to send some photos of "The Crackerbox Meeting" (Lee and Jackson) "Jackson Prays for Guidance", etc. ----but somehow lost the "photo card reader" to post them! I am SO frustrated! because I think you'd enjoy them--they are pewter sculptures from F. Barnum--He's got one for almost every event and famous personage in the CW. And I have his entire collection. (over 150 sculptures).

If I keep looking at these, I'm liable to get up, load my rifle, and take off walking to Winchester to sign up for the Stonewall Brigade.
These beautiful paintings are so inspiring.
When I lived in Front Royal, VA, there was, and is a little coffee shop in the middle of town called "Daily Grind". They had a painting of Early and his staff from the 1864 Shenandoah Campaign. It was beautiful as well.

Here is one by John Paul Strain. "Road to Front Royal".

Road-To-Front-Royal2-B.jpg

Don't think this one's been posted yet. Baptism at Manassas Station by Keith Rocco. Jackson leads his brigade into battle at First Manassas.

3181a791c7cc256bce8eb1b46b95658b.jpg

I was surprised and pleased while on vacation last month to learn that Rocco is actually a native of the Shenandoah Valley! From a historical standpoint I think his work is second only to Troiani.

I was surprised and pleased while on vacation last month to learn that Rocco is actually a native of the Shenandoah Valley! From a historical standpoint I think his work is second only to Troiani.
And that's why I'm a fan of both! I can't afford many of their prints, but I sure admire their work and their knack for authenticity.

View attachment 67661

While on vacation last month in the Shenandoah Valley I found at New Market Battlefield State Park a print of another of my favorite depictions of Jackson, this one by early Twentieth Century artist and illustrator N. C. Wyeth, father of the more recent Andrew and grandfather of Jamie. Wyeth's Jackson was painted originally as the frontispiece of the 1911 romantic novel by Mary Johnston called The Long Roll. I've just gotten it back from the framers, so now it also graces my ever-cluttered walls!
Leave it to a Wyeth to get Jackson right. This may be the only painting of Jackson I've seen in which his face actually looks like the photographs of him.

I like Strain the best! Beautiful ! Love to look at them...:thumbsup:
Me, too! Kunstler, Rocco, Troiani, Schmehl and other Civil War subject artists produce wonderful pieces of art with many fine qualities. IMHO John Paul Strain's artwork is a notch above and spectacular. I strive and hope to develop my skill to a more competitive stature. To date I remain humbled by these fine artists.

Jackson by Mort Kunstler
488_Model_Partnership_4.jpg

Though Mort Kunstler was far from my favorite historical artist, he was a very good portraitist; here are a couple of double favorites Lee and Jackson together, no doubt sure-fire sellers!

410_2.jpg

kunstler-therestandsjacksonlikea-stonewall.jpg

He was also good with horses, something not everyone can master - here are a couple of Jackson on Old Sorrel.

mort-kunstler-handsigned-numbered-limited-edition-print-stonewall-jackson-on-little-sorrel-6.jpg

278_2.jpg

These two portraits demonstrate what I dislike most about Kunstler: above is a very masterful look at the Stonewall we all think we know and love; below purports to represent Jackson in Prayer but is obviously instead Stephen Lang in a scene from Gods and Generals. As with the earlier Gettysburg, Kunstler was hired to paint a series of paintings based on scenes from the movie that have been foisted off as portrayals of actual men and events.

Jackson-prayer-2.jpg

This is a nice featured thread. I've never paid attention to the famous modern artists' renditions of various CW personalities and events. You can spend a lot of time looking at the pictures so they definitely capture your attention.

Many of the Jackson pieces are sentimental. I don't use that in a negative way; I'm just not an art critic.

The one that struck me the most was the funeral of Jackson. The reason why I'm commenting on this thread is because "Press Forward Men" is the only print I've seen on someone's wall. How would you critique that? As a piece of art - you know - color, composition, etc. How about as a piece of history? A lot going on in the pix. What would you look at? Comment on? Thanks.

Back