1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Featured Stonewall Jackson in Popular Art

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by James N., Sep 8, 2014.

1. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

Ken Hendricksen I think..

James N. likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

civilwar lee jackson baltimore (1.JPG

James N. likes this.
  4. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

5. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

This painting was one of a series called 'Confederate Generals' which featured on the boxes of Battleground Cigars. Others include Lee and George Pickett.

James N. likes this.
  6. SharonS

SharonS Private

This is a great photo but it doesn't show exactly what I'm looking for. I'm interested in the hind legs of Little Sorrel (yes, I really am). I'm looking for a statue that shows the horse with the correct gait. He was a pacer, not a trotter, and I vaguely remember from seeing this statue years ago that Mrs. Fraser did have the legs correct, but I'm not sure.The very best (in my opinion) of the Jackson equestrian statues is the Keck statue in Charlottesville and Martinburg has a wonderful Little Sorrel, but he's trotting. Thanks for your help!

7. Delhi Rangers

Delhi Rangers First Sergeant

[​IMG]
    Troiani prints are rising in value. Some of his earlier popular prints can bring $1000-1200.00 now. I just have got the Rick Reeves print Darkest of all Decembers depicting Hood with the 29th Alabama in Redoubt # 4 at Nashville. I have several Rick Reeves prints.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    James N. likes this.
  8. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

civilwar statue balt.jpg

9. RebelCause

RebelCause Corporal

Other than these 2 pics there is not much to go on. If they are so determined to remove the statues the Battlefield at Gettysburg might be a favorable place to rehome them but I civilwar statue baltim.jpg don't know what sort of restrictions they have there concerning new statues etc.

Bruce Vail likes this.
  10. SharonS

SharonS Private

Thanks! I remembered correctly! Little Sorrel's legs are in more or less a pacing gait. I don't know if Mrs. Fraser did it accidentally or if she just thought it looked good. You've answered a question I've had for a long time.

11. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

DSC04727.JPG

A larger look at artist Tom Gallo's Fatal Full Moon depicting the last or "cracker box" conference between Lee and Jackson at Chancellorsville the night of May 1-2, 1863 - this is mine, thanks to the generosity of @War Horse (Mike), and I just got it back from the frame shop in time for Christmas! I had to do a bit of re-arranging in the tight quarters of my limited wall space but now have a regular Stonewall Jackson Corner in my living room as can be seen below. (Sorry for the blurry photo though!)

DSC04723.JPG

RebelCause, bdtex and War Horse like this.
  12. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Looks Great my friend!

James N. likes this.
  13. James N.

Annual Winner

Jackson by Opdenaker.jpg

Another print I hadn't seen until just now while searching for something else depicts Jackson at First Manassas wearing his VMI professor's uniform by artist Jim Opdenaker.

14. SharonS

SharonS Private

I haven't seen this one before either. It's a really good representation of Little Sorrel, but unfortunately Little Sorrel was not in action at First Manassas. I like it anyway, though.

J. Horace and James N. like this.
  15. James N.

Annual Winner

I'm not especially fond of the mid-war appearance of his troops either, but I was only guessing this represented First Manassas. I believe he changed out of the professor's uniform in May, 1862 when ladies of Staunton gifted him with a proper Confederate uniform coat when he visited there briefly on his way to McDowell and the second battle of the valley Campaign so maybe this is supposed to be around that time instead.

J. Horace likes this.
  16. SharonS

SharonS Private

I think that's true, although by then the blue coat would have been more than a little threadbare, not like the fine specimen in the painting. Of course, the painting doesn't have to represent an actual battle. He began to use Little Sorrel almost exclusively by September 1861 so he would have been in blue from then until the spring. I don't know much about the evolution of the flag, so maybe we can figure the date from that.

17. James N.

Annual Winner

General Jackson by Augusto Ferrer-Dalmau.jpg

Another depiction I'd never seen before that I really like is this one of Jackson and members of his staff - who they're intended to be I can't tell, but suppose the one at left to be a generic staff officer, while the one at right is obviously an artillery officer - at some unnamed battle. My only real criticism of this work by a Spanish (?) artist who seems to be named Augusto Ferrer-Dalmau is that they all look too neat and perfectly regulation to truly represent Jackson or any of his staff members!

J. Horace likes this.
  18. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail First Sergeant

Last I heard, City of Baltimore was still looking for somebody to take the statue off their hands....

NPS park at Chancellorsville seems to be the logical place for relocation.

19. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

That is a great painting. Last year I was fortunate enough to stand at the exact spot where that Last Council was held. This is how it looks now:
    _20170320_221257.JPG

_20170320_221137.JPG

James N., J. Horace and kholland like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)