Stonewall Stonewall Jackson and B&O 1861

emb-lem

Cadet
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask. What is the truth behind his "excellent" raid capturing over 300 cars. Henderson, Imboden or Stover write about it but I cannot stop thinking that they are biased.

According to Robertson, it is all rubish and it has been fabricated by Imboden and then supported by Henderson. If that is truth what was his role in B&O railroads? Just destroying railroads and hiding in Bunker Hill next to Martinsburg?

I cannot find any other reliable source, since I cannot get my hands on Robertson's biography.

Thank you in advance :smile:

I had to do a double take, at first I thought this thread was about Jackson having B. O. In 1861.

I was going to reply, didn’t they all?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask. What is the truth behind his "excellent" raid capturing over 300 cars. Henderson, Imboden or Stover write about it but I cannot stop thinking that they are biased.

According to Robertson, it is all rubish and it has been fabricated by Imboden and then supported by Henderson. If that is truth what was his role in B&O railroads? Just destroying railroads and hiding in Bunker Hill next to Martinsburg?

I cannot find any other reliable source, since I cannot get my hands on Robertson's biography.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Were you not satisfied with Dr. Robertson's comments in Jackson's biography? Are you looking for something beyond that?

Were you not satisfied with Dr. Robertson's comments in Jackson's biography? Are you looking for something beyond that?

I haven't read his book. Im not from US and there is not an availiable ebook. I've just read few comments of his "interpretation" of things, so I was hoping for a credible online source of Jackson's role in this Baltimore&Ohio railroad "raid".

In mid June, 1861, Joe Johnston, commanding CSA forces at Harpers Ferry, withdrew to Winchester. He ordered Jackson, who was part of his command, to "destroy such of the rolling stock of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as could not be brought off, and to have so much of it as could be made available to our service brought to Winchester."[Quoting from the Official Records] Jackson did this, moving several locomotives to Winchester and destroying the rest. But I dont see evidence for there being a "raid"

Back