Stonewall’s Grave

Of course - after all otherwise it might've OFFENDED someone's delicate sensibilities!

View attachment 395883
In that photo one can see the obelisk that marks one of my relative's grave. There's three trees under the sign; the obelisk is leaning out from the one on the left. Her husband (buried next to her) was one of the founders of the town and he's listed on the list of notables at the cemetery entrance. They knew Stonewall and attended the same church.

I was there before it got re-named.

j_jordan_stone.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one I got at his death site at Guinea Station today.

View attachment 401900
The National Park has a nice setup out there but the house was not open. Through the window I could see the furniture was sort of in storage. You follow his ambulance route to get there down a pretty long wooded road. The railroad is right next to it, which is who purchased the house for a memorial .The other buildings are gone

IMG_20210525_090048831.jpg

IMG_20210525_085819411.jpg

The National Park has a nice setup out there but the house was not open. Through the window I could see the furniture was sort of in storage. You follow his ambulance route to get there down a pretty long wooded road. The railroad is right next to it, which is who purchased the house for a memorial. The other buildings are gone

View attachment 401921

View attachment 401922
Interesting that it was the RR that was responsible for its preservation. We tend to forget that travel by rail was a very big deal both before and after the turn of the century and the railroads did a great deal to promote travel and tourism in various ways, including promotion of Reunions of both Union and Confederate veterans who of course travelled to and from them largely by rail. Another way was by featuring for travelers and especially the vets various "historic" sites the routes passed, even to the extent of erecting monuments on battle sites. Two I recall that have since been incorporated into the NPS system are an artillery monument beside the RR crossing of Stones River near Murfreesboro, Tenn., and the so-called "Meade Pyramid" at Franklin's Crossing near Fredericksburg where George Meade's division briefly broke Jackson's line. Unfortunately this sometimes led to bogus interpretations, the most egregious of which I recall involved a small trackside monument supposedly marking the site of a famous well and thus commemorating the actions of Molly Pitcher in the battle of Monmouth Court House, N.J. during the American Revolution. It was later determined to be in the totally wrong place but likely put where it was for the "convenience" of the train travelers!

Last edited:
Interesting that it was the RR that was responsible for its preservation. We tend to forget that travel by rail was a very big deal both before and after the turn of the century and the railroads did a great deal to promote travel and tourism in various ways, including promotion of Reunions of both Union and Confederate veterans who of course travelled to and from them largely by rail. Another way was by featuring for travelers and especially the vets various "historic" sites the routes passed, even to the extent of erecting monuments on battle sites. Two I recall that have since been incorporated into the NPS system are an artillery monument beside the RR crossing of Stones River near Murfreesboro, Tenn., and the so-called "Meade Pyramid" at Franklin's Crossing near Fredericksburg where George Meade's division briefly broke Jackson's line. Unfortunately this sometimes led to bogus interpretations, the most egregious of which I recall involved a small trackside monument supposedly marking the site of a famous well and thus commemorating the actions of Molly Pitcher in the battle of Monmouth Court House, N.J. during the American Revolution. It was later determined to be in the totally wrong place but likely put where it was for the "convenience" of the train travelers!
I saw the trackside pyramid on Lee avenue in Fredericksburg. The train is still going by the one in Guinea Station. Great insight!

Back