Murfreesboro Stones River Battlefield

JCM6395

Sergeant
I'm going to do a CWEA tour of Franklin next week and thought I'd snag a visit to Stones River Battlefield while I'm at it. Have any of you been to it? How well is it marked and preserved?

I had several ancestors that saw heavy action on the Union right and left. On the right my ancestors in the 42nd Indiana of Beatty's Brigade moved into position to the right of Sheridan in the Cedars as things started heating up. They were pushed back across a field to the Nashville road where the line held.

On the left my ancestors of the 21st Kentucky (Union) were in the Round Forest area in Price's Brigade. They were pushed back until the artillery was brought up and devastated the Confederate assault.

I'm going to do a CWEA tour of Franklin next week and thought I'd snag a visit to Stones River Battlefield while I'm at it. Have any of you been to it? How well is it marked and preserved?

I had several ancestors that saw heavy action on the Union right and left. On the right my ancestors in the 42nd Indiana of Beatty's Brigade moved into position to the right of Sheridan in the Cedars as things started heating up. They were pushed back across a field to the Nashville road where the line held.

On the left my ancestors of the 21st Kentucky (Union) were in the Round Forest area in Price's Brigade. They were pushed back until the artillery was brought up and devastated the Confederate assault.

I have been to neither yet but I've had the same idea as you. Wanted to try and swing by both in the same trip if I can hopefully in the near future. I'm sure others here can give you a good idea about what to expect. If I remember right the battlefield park is not as large as other well preserved ones due to surrounding development over the years. Hope the trip goes well, let us know how it goes when you get back!

Wonderful venue!

Make sure you save some time and visit downtown Murfreesboro.

Here is my YouTube video of this NPS battlefield and the city of Murfreesboro.

Bill

Texas Trip 2014 028.JPG
Texas Trip 2014 003.JPG
Just there in July. Hit the visitor's center first and pick up the brochure with the self-guided driving map on it. The museum has some interesting displays (a big model of Fortress Rosecrans during the battle). The main feature at the cemetery is the Hazen Brigade Monument where some artifacts were found inside. Check this link: http://www.nps.gov/stri/planyourvisit/upload/Hazen Handout.pdf
They believe it was a time capsule containing some cannonballs, artillery shells, rifles and a cedar staff. These are also displayed in the museum.
As you do the driving tour you'll notice metal life-sized cut-outs of soldiers taking aim with their rifles. The second photo is of the artifacts found in the Hazen Monument. Enjoy your trip.
Texas Trip 2014 013.JPG

Make sure you stop by the Fortress Rosecrans!

This fort constructed of well preserved earthworks is mighty impressive.

And it will take a good hour to walk the trail and read the markers.

Bill

Make sure you stop by the Fortress Rosecrans!

This fort constructed of well preserved earthworks is mighty impressive.

And it will take a good hour to walk the trail and read the markers.

Bill
We were pressed for time (needed to make Eureka Springs, AR) and didn't get to see it. Didn't even get to see the river itself where Yankee artillery met the Confederate charge. I believe it says there were 57 cannons lined up hub-to-hub. What a deadly line to run into.

We were pressed for time (needed to make Eureka Springs, AR) and didn't get to see it. Didn't even get to see the river itself where Yankee artillery met the Confederate charge. I believe it says there were 57 cannons lined up hub-to-hub. What a deadly line to run into.

The Stones River at McFadden's Ford

Mammoth Cave, Stones River, Chattanooga-Chickamauga & Townsend 158.jpg

Stones River path leading up to the Union Artillery Ridge

Mammoth Cave, Stones River, Chattanooga-Chickamauga & Townsend 159.jpg

Union Artillery Ridge

Mammoth Cave, Stones River, Chattanooga-Chickamauga & Townsend 161.jpg

The Artilley Monument (Mendenhall's Guns)

IMG_7092.JPG

* Photos courtesy of William Bechmann (2012)

JCM, see if you can find this book at Franklin before you go to Stones River. These books are generally available at all CW National Parks and are worth the purchase.

Winter Lightning, A Guide to the Battle of Stones River
, Matt and Lee Spruill. University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, 2007. Soft cover; 310 pp., illus., maps, appendices. 45 Euros. ISBN 1-57233-9.

One of a series of four works that combine battle narratives, official reports and modern maps, this book guides a visitor over the Tennessee Battlefield of Stones River (31 December 1862–2 January 1863). The Spruills have divided the terrain into twenty-one stops that are the scenes of important action during the battle. Concise driving directions are provided, as are warnings about private property. Each stop is described in a narrative and accompanied by reports of United States and rebel commanders. Maps and photos are also included. Your reviewer has used them and they are invaluable navigation tools.

However, the narratives are concise. A user who is not acquainted with the general and special situation of the battle should read one or more accounts of the events before using the guide. It is also advisable to supplement the guide with a topographical map to keep the big picture in mind.The first three volumes in this series were published as United States Army War College Guides to Civil War Battlefields.

Matt Spruill is a retired U.S. Army colonel, a licensed battlefield guide,
and the author of several workson the Civil War. His brother is a major in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Winter Lightning is highly recommended for anyone visiting the Stones River Battlefield.

James B. Ronan II

Make sure you are familiar with both battles. Keep that in mind so your imagination can overlook the developments that will intrude upon the landscape.

It's fairly easy in Franklin where, from the Carter House, you can see Winstead Hill over the tops of light industrial buildings. Then you can use your imagination to erase those buildings and fill the flat with Rebel soldiers.

Back