Restricted Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA

KianGaf

First Sergeant
I just read an article that in the article said Stone Mountain is Georgia's largest tourist attraction.......hmmm it's obviously not all that offensive or even controversial then.......that's rather common sense.

Unfortunately the silent majority get left behind these days. The fact it’s such a popular site says it all in my opinion, it tends to be people with no love of history that have a negative opinion on such places.

Quaama

Sergeant
Another article regarding Stone Mountain. Just came across it....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ountain-confederate-monument-georgia.amp.html

I like how that article quoted a recent first-time visitor to Stone Mountain who said “It shouldn’t be destroyed. What are you going to do? Make-believe the Civil War didn’t happen?”.
To me the overall aim (behind the many monuments and sites mentioned in this forum [and many that have not been] that have been damaged and/or removed from public view) is exactly that. When something can not be easily seen by the general public and it is regarded by some as offensive to display Civil War symbols (and in some instances it is now unlawful to do so) then you are changing history. Stone Mountain is historical in it's own right given it took decades to complete as the world’s largest bas-relief sculpture. This movement started with Confederate monuments and symbols in prominent positions but has moved far beyond that and now includes Confederate grave-sites and Union monuments (and others not even related to the Civil War) and even to the battlefields themselves.

Once the vast majority have been removed [and that is fast approaching] and the protests against them cease [because they are out of the public view] then people will forget and only the more dedicated historical sleuth will be able to uncover the facts. For example, I recently read The Union War by Gary W Gallagher - oddly enough that book was described in several reviews as "revisionist" history because it demonstrates that the North was fighting for Union rather than some other reason (e.g. free the slaves). So now, and in the future, when facts are bought forth they are considered 'revisionist' and thereby endevouring to change existing 'facts'.

Horrido67

Private
I believe the locals are trying to remove any monument, sculpture or memorial site that may portray Confederates or their rebellion for a cause which, as Grant put it, "one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse" in a positive light. Although, I am against some of removals as not all Confederates were "baddies" and they had a few deemable traits and qualities that today's American could learn from, I understand the sentiment from the locals as many of those artifacts were created during Jim Crow-era and may not represent philosophy and beliefs of present-day Atlanta. The monuments may belong to musemums where they could be explained with a context. I applaud their decision not to completely tear down Stone Mountain.

What I fear is where would this end? Discredit George Washington for being a slave owner? Remove Andrew Jackson from $20 bill for being a slave owner & committing a genocide against native American? Dismiss Lincoln as a racist for saying that he was "in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race (over African race)"? Mind you, those things have already happened, mostly out of ignorance. The red line has to be drawn somehwere.

Baddie
What a demeaning thing to say. Very offensive. Which ones, in your opinion, are baddies and which are not? Please define Jim Crow Era and are monuments erected during this time considered to be 'baddie' ?

SandiD

Private
They won’t let me in due to darn data protection rules. What’s the jist of the article ?
The general jist:

Concessions to "soften" the monument's history are planned. A museum has been proposed to tell the entire history of Stone Mountain, why the carving is there, when it was approved, how white supremacy plays into it (and the second iteration of the KKK in 1915), the influence of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, how Jim Crow laws played into the carving. Also proposed was the moving of the Confederate flags from the current location on the walk-up trail to Valor Park which has other tributes to the South in the Civil War.

There are other proposals which are still on the table so to speak but have not yet been addressed by the board related to renaming of streets and buildings. Also a community advisory board of local residents, community leaders, and historians is to be appointed by the governing board of the Stone Mountain Memorial Association.

Last edited:

SandiD

Private
I just read an article that in the article said Stone Mountain is Georgia's largest tourist attraction.......hmmm it's obviously not all that offensive or even controversial then.......that's rather common sense.
There are other things though at Stone Mountain Park besides the carving and Civil War material/exhibits- two all inclusive resorts, camping, boating, golf, hiking, rope course, Dinosaur Explore, special events, etc. I've been there several times but was too busy with Scottish Highland Dance competitions to even go look at it or any of the Civil War related material or exhibits.

There are other things though at Stone Mountain Park besides the carving and Civil War material/exhibits- two all inclusive resorts, camping, boating, golf, hiking, rope course, Dinosaur Explore, special events, etc. I've been there several times but was too busy with Scottish Highland Dance competitions to even go look at it or any of the Civil War related material or exhibits.
Still if it's number one, rather safe to say it isn't exactly driving away large numbers.........it would be rather like Mount Rushmore, there may be some who don't like the president's as well, but its still the major attraction.

But that people don't even have to go visit it if they don't want is a good point......I have found over the years if I don't want to see a tourist site, surprisingly, you can drive on to one you do wish to see.

SandiD

Private
Still if it's number one, rather safe to say it isn't exactly driving away large numbers.........it would be rather like Mount Rushmore, there may be some who don't like the president's as well, but its still the major attraction.

But that people don't even have to go visit it if they don't want is a good point......I have found over the years if I don't want to see a tourist site, surprisingly, you can drive on to one you do wish to see.

Mount Rushmore doesn't have the "entertainment" infrastructure that Stone Mountain does. Hiking (no camping or overnighting at all), the sculptors museum, the junior ranger program, that pretty much sums up Mount Rushmore. While 35 miles from Rapid City, it isn't adjacent to a major economic hub/tourist destination. I would venture to say that the other activities are as big a draw as the sculpture at Stone Mountain.

Last edited:
Mount Rushmore doesn't have the "entertainment" infrastructure that Stone Mountain does. Hiking (no camping or overnighting at all), the sculptors museum, the junior ranger program, that pretty much sums up Mount Rushmore. While 35 miles from Rapid City, it isn't adjacent to a major economic hub/tourist destination. I would venture to say that the other activities are as big a draw as the sculpture at Stone Mountain.
Not sure, as Keystone, Hill city, and Custer State park form rather extensive area within 5 or so miles of Mount Rushmore making a rather extensive and varied tourist area.

The supporting area stuff in reality has become as much a draw, as Mount Rushmore is rather one and done, Custer, Hill City, Keystone are the repeat draws.