KianGaf

First Sergeant

James N.

Colonel
Forum Host
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Image (18).jpg

I've only visited there a couple of times, but understand it has a somewhat checkered past. Although it has long been a local landmark literally, other than as possibly an observation post it apparently played no part in the various battles for Atlanta. Supposedly the largest knob of exposed granite in the United States, it seemed made for treatment as a monument and was so considered for the purpose in the 1920's. Eminent sculptor Gutzon Borglum received a contract but following various problems and cost overruns left the project for work on Mount Rushmore instead. (Borglum himself has been accused of racist tendencies, but I don't know how much of that may be true or merely present-day attempts to tar him because of his work on the monument here and the North Carolina Memorial at Gettysburg.) The monument, much scaled-down from Borglum's original design, wasn't actually declared to be completed until the early 1970's, several years after my visit in 1964 and 1968 pictured above. Supposedly, the site had at several times prior been the location of rallies and cross-burnings by the Ku Klux Klan, making it doubly hateful for today's woke Cancel Culture agitators and crusaders.

infomanpa

2nd Lieutenant
I was there 2 years ago. That sculpture is bigger than it looks...more like on the scale of Mt. Rushmore. I took the "ski lift" up to the top, so I got a good look at it.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
They won’t let me in due to darn data protection rules. What’s the jist of the article ?

WHAT THE STONE MOUNTAIN MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION VOTED ON
  • Approved plans to create an on-site museum exhibit explaining the full history of Stone Mountain Park and the carving of Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee.
  • Will relocate Confederate flags that have flown at base of mountain’s walk-up trail since the 1960s.
  • Will change memorial association’s logo, which currently includes an image of the carving.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
After reading the article I believe the effort will not please those on either side of the issue. Many Confederate heritage people will be upset that the changes will eliminate history or some how change history. Those against the monuments with not see the effort as changing anything. I have a feeling most other people in the middle will not much care one way or the other. Some will continue to visit the site despite the changes, some might go to the site once the changes are made, and others will avoid going there. Myself I have no real desire to go there. In my opinion a site designed to celebrate white supremacy can not be changed by adding a few explanations or moving a few Confederate flags.
However, my view is not the only view and economics will probably decide the issue.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
WHAT THE STONE MOUNTAIN MEMORIAL ASSOCIATION VOTED ON
  • Approved plans to create an on-site museum exhibit explaining the full history of Stone Mountain Park and the carving of Jefferson Davis, Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee.
  • Will relocate Confederate flags that have flown at base of mountain’s walk-up trail since the 1960s.
  • Will change memorial association’s logo, which currently includes an image of the carving.
I guess if it's any consolation the flags will be moved to a separate historic park within the broader park, which is basically a giant display/parade ground type location in front of the carving.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
calling for the carving to be removed and street names changed. “We’re just not gonna accept anything less than that.”

So much for compromise.
As I said, people on both extremes are not the compromising sorts. People who are more in the middle and willing to compromise will probably not care all that much.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
The fact that it's corporations and money deciding this issue is what really bothers me. In the end it may not matter what the voting public or the legislature says if the board running the park believes it's a matter of economic survival. So who is really calling the shots here? The people of Georgia, or the boards of various corporations?

KianGaf

First Sergeant
The fact that it's corporations and money deciding this issue is what really bothers me. In the end it may not matter what the voting public or the legislature says if the board running the park believes it's a matter of economic survival. So who is really calling the shots here? The people of Georgia, or the boards of various corporations?

Interesting I wasn’t aware it was a private business and not state property.

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
Interesting I wasn’t aware it was a private business and not state property.

I was referring to this portion of the linked story:

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-ne...ibit-moving-flags/BASJHI7NZFCANFCHXQZDKPWIEA/

Officials admit the changes currently being considered at the park are largely driven by financial concerns.
Marriott purportedly plans to pull out of operating the park’s primary hotel and convention center. And Herschend Family Entertainment, which has operated the park’s revenue-generating attractions since they were privatized in 1998, plans to leave next summer.​
Herschend, a Norcross-based company, cited both COVID-19 and frequent clashes between Confederate groups, far right extremists and counter-protesters as reasons for ending their partnership with the park.​
Stephens said he has spoken with several companies about taking over Herschend’s role and all said that “the Confederacy issue” needs to be addressed before they would consider doing so.​
“I think these were necessary steps to be able to say to people who would do business with us, that we want to tell the truth, tell the whole story,” Stephens said Monday. “We’re limited on what we can do and can’t do, but we’re gonna take action where we can. And I hope it makes a difference.”​

Andersonh1

Brigadier General

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
"You get up on your little 21 inch screen, and howl about America and Democracy. There is no America, there is no Democracy. There is only IBM and ITT, and AT&T, and Dupont, Dow, Union-Carbide and Exxon. Those ARE the nations of the world today!"

--Ned Beatty as UBS CEO Arthur Jensen in Network (1976)