Non-Fiction

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Part I
Image.jpg

Since this is the thirtieth anniversary of the filming of the now-classic Civil War movie Glory I had been casting about for new material to add to my existing thread and for fodder for Throwback Thursday when I remembered this souvenir photo album from around the time of the film's release. It is untitled, apart from Glory on the cover alongside the image above but inside contains the line This commemorative album is proudly presented by Eastman Kodak Company and another credit, We gratefully acknowledge the photographic contributions of Marie Cosindas, Merrick Morton, and D. Gorton. All images were taken with Kodak film. I saw somewhere an offer for this album which was as I remember available by writing to the Eastman Kodak Company and requesting a copy.

It may seem strange to have still photographers alongside the Panasonic movie cameras on a movie set, but as I have explained before, they are present to capture still images different from the familiar screen captures that can be used for publicity and other purposes. I remember that I hesitated to use these before because: the album they're in is very large, about 10"X15" or thereabouts, so awkward and difficult to scan; some closely resemble familiar publicity photos; and *may* be copyrighted, though nowhere in the album does it say so or warn against their copy, reproduction, or storage as is usual. Unfortunately, my scans are of indifferent quality and by necessity must crop the many full-page photos and the double-page spread. I have also omitted the smallish publicity photos of the cast that were used on posters and VHS/DVD covers. Unfortunately, the subjects were scrambled in no particular order, but I have attempted to place them in a somewhat chronological order as the scenes appear in the movie.

Image (22).jpg

I have referred before to the two gentlemen above, the late Producer Freddie Fields at left and Director Ed Zwick at right, who were the creative guiding lights behind the production.

Image (5).jpg

WHATINHELL IS THIS!?!??? I'm certainly glad to see this was included, because it is likely the ONLY surviving relic of an interesting deleted scene we filmed in a downtown Savannah warehouse that was supposed to show a very young-looking Robert Gould Shaw, center, drilling members of the elite 7th Regiment, New York National Guard in their armory in 1861. Among the historical travesties notice the obviously fiberglass movie "cannon" in the foreground looking like no actual piece of ordnance; the gymnasts in the background fencing and performing various exercises, which in themselves wouldn't be so bad - EXCEPT for the gallery of ladies watching the half-clad men from the above right corner, a definite Victorian No-No! Barely visible standing behind the soldier in the front of the group are Matt Murdzak and myself; the only part of me that shows is the top of my 1850's regulation full-dress shako!

Image (7).jpg

Above, a scene from the Battle of Antietam scene where Matthew Broderick playing then-Captain Robert Gould Shaw is wounded.

Image (6).jpg

This, the first of several photo montages, also shows some deleted or at least minimized scenes from "Boston": clockwise from bottom left the wounded Captain Shaw; Governor Andrew and Frederick Douglass watch as the 54th Massachusetts parades before going off to war; Andrew offers command of the 54th to Shaw; actress Jane Alexander playing Shaw's mother, who along with Raymond St. Jacques playing Douglass were intended to have larger parts and so supposedly refused to allow their names to be used in the credits of the finished film; Matthew Broderick and Cary Elwes in another deleted scene.

Next, Part II - scenes from training camp

Last edited:
Part II - Camp Readville Scenes
Image (3).jpg

Matthew Broderick as now-Colonel Shaw teaching his men the finer points of shooting.
Image (4).jpg

Denzel Washington as Private Trip who is about to be flogged - even though corporal punishment like this had been abolished several years previously.

Image (8).jpg

Cary Elwes as Major Cabot Forbes argues with his colonel about how to discipline and train the men under their command.

Image (9).jpg

Morgan Freeman as Sergeant Major Rawlins in a much-criticized scene reading out the then non-existent serial numbers from the new Enfield rifles. (Period originals didn't have them; unfortunately for authenticity the reproductions we used did!) This still is gratifying to me because two of my friends are in it: in the foreground recording the numbers is Mark Edwards, USCT reenactor from the District of Columbia; the officer "supervising" is Joseph Covais, owner of New Columbia uniforms for reenactors, here acting as the regimental adjutant.

Image (10).jpg

Above a little PT under the watchful eyes of Sergeant Major Mulcahy (barely visible in the background) with Andre Braugher and Denzel Washington jogging at the left alongside members of the Background Company.

Image (11).jpg

Another photo montage shows clockwise from top left: Col. Shaw instructs Private Jupiter Sharts in marksmanship while Andre Braugher (Snowflake) and Cary Elwes (Maj. Forbes) look on; new recruits march into camp wearing their "slave clothes"; still more drill with Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington behind the trumpeter; Corporal "Snowflake" teaches Jupiter Sharts (played by Jihmi Kennedy) to read in another deleted scene. Below, the finished product steps out proudly; Jihmi Kennedy at left, Michael Guess third from left, Morgan Freeman fifth from left, Denzel Washington second from right in the second row, and Sergeant Robert (Bob) Johnson at right.

Image (15).jpg

Next, Part III - Battle on Johnson's Island

Last edited:
image-3-jpg.jpg

Matthew Broderick as now-Colonel Shaw teaching his men the finer points of shooting.
I have a question, James: In the pic of Shaw, his right sleeve shows a decorative design that looks like the ones the Confederate officers used, only in black instead of the Confederates' gold. Did the Union unfirms have that design too? Or was there a mix-up with the costume during filming? :confused:

I have a question, James: In the pic of Shaw, his right sleeve shows a decorative design that looks like the ones the Confederate officers used, only in black instead of the Confederates' gold. Did the Union unfirms have that design too? Or was there a mix-up with the costume during filming? :confused:
No mix-up at all; that black wool mohair braiding was regulation trim for U. S. officer greatcoats (only) and although it didn't come up as far on the sleeves the number of braids was related to rank in the same way as the Confederates. As far as authenticity and attention to detail goes, I should also point out in the same photo the Massachusetts State Seal officer's belt buckle he's wearing!

Last edited:
Part III - The First Battle
Image (12).jpg

Although possibly from another scene this closeup of Jhimi Kennedy and Denzel Washington shows the transformation of the recruits into full-fledged Federal soldiers by the time of the first skirmish on James Island below.

Image (13).jpg

Image (14).jpg

Another photo montage shows various scenes following the 54th's arrival at the Seat of War: the massed drums of the regimental field music move to the rear prior to the assault on Battery Wagner - note Matt Murdzack at left standing beside actor Michael Smith Guess; Col. Shaw in a reflective mood writing another letter to his mother in another deleted scene; and the party held in their honor upon their arrival at the Beaufort, South Carolina headquarters.

Image (21).jpg

Above, another montage of action scenes, clockwise from top left: Morgan Freeman looking steely-eyed as Sergeant Major Rawlins; Col. Shaw about to receive the coup de gras at Battery Wagner; Pvt. Trip looking bewildered at the skirmish on James Island; and Major Forbes about to lead his men forward in the suicide assault.

Next, Part IV - Battery Wagner

Last edited:
Part IV - The Assault on Battery Wagner
Image (18).jpg

Above, the 54th Massachusetts marches to the beach between ranks of cheering white regiments; below, formed in two lines called column of battalions with five companies in each battalion, the 54th leads the Union assault. Note Brig. Gen. Strong mounted on his horse at top left and watching through his field glasses. At right center waving his sword in the front rank is reenactor coordinator Dale Fetzer giving the actual commands; also in the front rank is the late Brian Pohanka who served as Fetzer's assistant on large scenes like this to help coordinate the action. I am visible immediately below the corner of the white Massachusetts State Flag. This is only half of a double-page spread with Matthew Broderick in the center of the page but cut off here and Cary Elwes even farther to the right.

Image (19).jpg

Image (16).jpg

Left to right, Andre Braugher, Denzel Washington, and Jihimi Kennedy charge, backed up by members of the Background Company. Below, Kennedy succors one of the wounded members of our Background Company which has taken cover in the sand dunes.

Image (17).jpg

Image (2).jpg

In a deliberate and no doubt "artsy" out-of-focus shot above the 54th surges up the face of Battery Wagner. (I'm the officer at the top in the background.) Below, from left to right the final defiant stand of Andre Braugher, Morgan Freeman, Jhimi Kennedy, Cary Elwes, and for-real U. S. Army Sergeant Mark Jones waving the white State flag right before they all get blown to bits by Rebel cannon fire.

Image (20).jpg

Last edited:
It always amazes me how many things that get filmed in a movie that never make in into the final cut. Bad part is some editors edit out stuff central to the story! The movie Major Dundee being a good example.

Pretty sure I've said this once before, but thanks for sharing your experiences, and in this case good photos, from Glory. There's more than a few things I really don't care for in that movie, historically speaking, but for entertainment it'll probably always be one of my favorites. Your threads on the subject just don't ever seem to get old.

How could I miss this for so long??!!
James N. , these are priceless photos and I feell absolutely priviledged to see them and to know you!
Can't thank you enough for sharing them with us, and as the others said: now I must watch the movie again. Such a pity, I'd love to have seen the scene where Capt. Shaw drills his elite troops!!

Love the photo album - thanks for sharing. And by the way, rule of thumb regarding copyrights: “If it’s created its copyrighted.” No, I’m no attorney, but I think one is generally ok if one gives attribution, as you have done. Thanks again!

Similar view today, in Google Earth:

View attachment 347359
It brings back memories - an Irish pub named Kevin Barry's was in this neighborhood and several times we reenactors gathered there nights after filming was over. St. Patrick's Day is to Savannah what Mardi Gras is to New Orleans and that night this area was packed with celebrants, so much so that we purposely avoided it and Kevin Barry's to instead go to a Mexican restaurant in a suburb for dinner; it too was crowded but was at least manageable. This was the only night we were joined by Matthew Broderick, who drew a number of stares from other nearby diners who recognized him.

Back