Stephens, Alexander H.

"Captain Kelly, who formerly knew me in Washington City, told me he was now in the quartermaster's department at Hilton Head. He was pleased to refer kindly to his recollection of me; alluded to my Milledgeville "Union speech" of November, 1860; spoke highly of it and repressed regret that I had not adhered to it. I told him I had. In that speech I had, with all my ability, urged our people not to secede; the present consequences I then seriously apprehended; I told them that if, in solemn convention, the State should determine to resume her delegated powers and assert her sovereign and independent rights, I should be bound to go with her: to her I owed ultimate allegiance; her cause would be my cause, her destiny mine. I thought the step a wrong one — it might be fatal; and exerted my utmost power to prevent it; but when it was taken, even though against my judgment and counsel, I, as a good citizen, could but share the common fate, whatever it might be. I did, as a patriot, what I thought best before secession. I did the same after."

A. H. Stephens, May 16, 1865.
Quote from Recollections of Alexander H. Stephens.

Back