Stonewall Stephan Lang about Stonewall Jackson

JD Mayo

Retired User

Actor, playwright and now poet, Stephen Lang is best known for his big screen roles in films including Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson in “Gods and Generals,” Maj. Gen. George E. Pickett in “Gettysburg,” Col. Abraham Biggs in “Hostiles” and Col. Miles Quaritch in “Avatar.” The New York native’s credits also include a dangerous blind homeowner in “Don’t Breathe”, Old West outlaw Ike Clanton in “Tombstone,” strike leader Harry Black in “Last Exit to Brooklyn,” and Texas lawman Charles Winstead in “Public Enemies.” This came out in April 18th 20202

Last edited by a moderator:
He really is a great actor. I grew up in a very western movie centered household, (between my mother and grandparents, westerns were the law), and I saw him a million times in Tombstone before I ever saw anything else, and he will always be Ike Clanton.

I'm glad to see him embracing his CW roles in an era where actors flee from such previous roles.

I know when I first seen him in G&G, (I saw it before I saw Gettysburg), I was shocked to see him in such a role after seeing him in Tombstone three times a week.

Last edited:
I had to do a double take when I saw him on horseback, wearing the blue of a Cavalry 2nd Lt at the 150th Gettysburg, just hanging around off the trail where we had stopped for a few minutes. He was very engaging with all of us while we lingered for a few minute's break.
He and Robert Duvall where both at the Antietam reenactment in 2002. Help promote the film. They where in full uniform my friend saluted them.

I met up with Lang during the filming of both movies while I was a second unit re-enactor. Then again at that Sharpsburg re-enactment. He autographed two photos taken with my camera of me and himself during the filming of both of Ted's motion picture bombs. I thought he made a better George Pickett than Jackson. I had the chance to take a picture of Ted and Jane Fonda on the set, but I kept my camera hidden when the production staff got up in the faces of a lot of the re-enactors (Viet Nam war vets) and threatened to have them ejected due to cat calls directed to Hanoi Jane.

If I remember right, I read somewhere that Lang was the second choice for Jackson on G&G, and that the first choice they were going for was Russel Crowe, and that he didn't play the part because of scheduling conflicts.

I think they got the right guy for the role. Lang is probably the best actor to have played Jackson, even if he is a Yankee. He looks the part, and played it very, very well. He matches up with accounts of Jackson from Heros Von Borke in demeanor and so forth I've read. Lang also played Pickett extremely well. I reckon it all speaks to how versatile an actor Lang is.

I was unfortunately drafted to act in a small film once upon a time, and though I got complimented, I know there's no way I could be an actor, much play so many characters so different from each other.

I don't think that Russell Crowe could do a Southern Acsent like Lang. He is from New Zealand after all. Maybe Clint Eastwood would be a good choice for Stonewall if not Russell.

but I kept my camera hidden when the production staff got up in the faces of a lot of the re-enactors

That reminds me, first film I ever got to work on back in 2018 I think, I was "weapons coordinator" and another of the crew was a royal pain in my behind that drove me crazy. (He had been doing it for 30 years since he was 18! As he constantly reminded me. I could do everything on my end his way to avoid startling the animals and so forth and I'd still get chewed out and talked down to even just hooking up a trailer.)

He ended up having to stand in as a stunt man, and while I can't go too much into detail, it went WAY wrong. Everyone who filmed it had to delete it, but the director knowing how much he'd been ticking me off allowed me to keep a recording, after he got to watch it. The fellow did walk away with minor injuries, but it was a heartstopper.

I can't begin to imagine hidden cameras in 93 and the early 2000's on a set compared to now.

I don't think that Russell Crowe could do a Southern Acsent like Lang. He is from New Zealand after all. Maybe Clint Eastwood would be a good choice for Stonewall if not Russell.
I don't know, I've known Englishmen to fake a Southern accent with ease compared to anyone else, and one Australian do a passible imitation with 5 minutes practice. I got a thick Southern/Texan drawl, and anytime I binge watch the Sharpe Series, or Hornblower one I've caught myself doing a good imitation of an English accent. Southern accents are a lot closer to English ones and derivatives like Australian than many would think. Lot closer than say with Scottish ones.

Clint Eastwood with a thick black beard would've been a good Stonewall. 50 or 60 years ago!:D

Russell Crowe is one of the few current actors I would recognize and that's only because of Master and Commander. I can't picture him as Stone wall though.

John
Speaking of Master and Commander can you see a movie like that based on Raphael Semmes and the Alabama? That would be the REAL Master & Commander....

Back