• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweet Baked Goods Apples to Bake, Steamboat Style

apples to bake, steamboat style
(from Dr. Chase's Recipes; Or, Information for Everybody, by Dr. Alvin Wood Chase, 1866)

Ingredients:

ripe moderately sour apples​
brown sugar​
butter​

Instructions:
BETTER THAN PRESERVES. Take moderately sour apples, when ripe; and with a pocket knife cut out the stem, and flower end also, so as to remove the skin from these cup shaped cavities; wash them and place them in a dripping pan; now fill these cavities with brown sugar, and pretty freely between them also, with sugar; then lay on a few lumps of butter over the sugar; place them, thus arranged, into the oven when you begin to heat up the stove for breakfast or dinner, and keep them in until perfectly baked through and soft.​
Take them up on plates, while hot, by means of a spoon, and dip the gravy, arising from the apple-juice, sugar and butter, over them. Should any of them be left, after the meal is over, set them by until the next meal, when they may be placed in the stove oven until hot, and they will have all the beauty of the first baking.​

1591191031356.png

Wikimedia Commons

I often find older recipes give too few instructions. This recipe is the rare example - it has more information than most cooks would need!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks yummy. I have done baked apples before. Sounds like a slow bake is best. And I do so love those spicy apple slices you sometimes get on the salad bar.

Another way to do apples is scalloped apples. This recipe calls for apples and raisins. It is a delicious dish. One my family has made.

Scalloped Raisins with Apples

1 cup raisins
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups, pared, quartered apples
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs

Fill a buttered dish with alternate layers of raisins, apples and bread crumbs. Sprinkle each layer with the combined dry ingredients. Dot with butter. Add lemon juice and water. Cover and bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes.

Back