Statue of Lincoln and Freed Slave Removed from Boston Park, Ending Its 141-Year Stand

Cleveland has an Abraham Lincoln statue similar to one removed in Boston

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/12...am-lincoln-statue-similar-one-removed-boston/
From the mainstream news media article :
"The artwork displayed is problematic, Everett said, because it infers that all Black people were freed by Lincoln the moment he signed the Emancipation Proclamation."

Sorry Charlie but just because you and others don't know what exactly the Emancipation Proclamation did and didn't do, does not fault the artist and the statue.

Perhaps it should be replaced by a monument to the all white congress that freed all the slaves then with the 13th amendment........but the real problem some have, is that civil rights was actually driven and enacted by whites ........we are supposed to be just villains in their agenda.

It has seemed to me for some time, what started as black figures should be included such as Frederick Douglas or Harriet Tubman in civil rights discussions and history, has instead morphed into a exclusion of the white civil rights leaders who actually championed and drove the movement and legislation throughout our history. As their seems no shortage of white abolitionists and politicians who go unheralded these days despite rather immense contributions.

Last edited:
I read one article awhile back where one person objected the emancipation memorial didn't accurately reflect black people rising up to take their own freedom.........did he think he was in Rhodesia?........A black people never rose up to overthrow a white government here at all.

Instead in American history it has always predominantly been the white majority correcting and amending society. I fail to see how accurately protraying that historically is "offensive", as it is how it actually occured.

Rusk County Avengers

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
When I saw this the other day I burst out laughing. Not for any reason other than this is a black eye to everyone who screams "Confederate Monuments bad, Union Monuments good" and how little they know these radicals running amok.

I can say from experience, both in courtroom fighting over a monument, and fighting for my life and escape from a "peaceful protest" that the radicals ain't gonna be satisfied with this removal. They'll want more, much more. It was never about the CSA to them, it was always destroying every trace of the USA they can. Both historically, and in the present.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
This statue has been discussed in other threads. The design of the statue has been criticized since it was erected. The city went through a process of soliciting input and conducting virtual hearings on this statue. The community input at the virtual hearings was "overwhelmingly" for removal. It was decided to remove, relocate, and add context. It was handled calmly and lawfully, and it's their decision.

Actually the other thread wasn't specifically about this memorial at all, but how its become not a "Confederate" thing at all but attacking all forms of US history, it was discussed in it as yet another example of it not being confined to the south or "Confederate" at all, but would not say the other thread OP was focused on this memorial at all.