Stanton and Secession

"While I was in pursuit of General Lee, The President went to Richmond in company with Admiral Porter, and on board his flagship. He found the people of that city in great consternation. The leading citizens among the people who had remained at home surrounded him, anxious that something should be done to relieve them from suspense. General Weitzel was not then in the city, having taken offices in one of the neighboring villages after his troops had succeeded in subduing the conflagration which they had found in progress on entering the Confederate capital. The President sent for him, and on his arrival, a short interview was had on board the vessel, Admiral Porter and leading citizens of Virginia also being present. After this interview the President wrote an order in about these words, which I quote from memory: "General Weitzel is authorized to permit the body calling itself the Legislature of Virginia to meet for the purpose of recalling the Virginia troops from the Confederate armies".

Immediately some of the gentlemen composing that body wrote out a call for a meeting and had it published in their papers. This call, however, went very much further than Mr Lincoln had contemplated, as he did not say the 'Legislature of Virginia' but 'the body which called itself the Legislature of Virginia'. Mr Stanton saw the call as published in the Northern papers the very next issue and took the liberty of countermanding the order authorizing any meeting of the Legislature, or any other body, and this notwithstanding the fact that the President was nearer the spot than he was.

This was characteristic of Mr Stanton. He was a man who never questioned his own authority, and who alwys did in war time what he wanted to do. He was an able constitutional lawyer and jurist; but the Constitution was not an impediment to him while the war lasted. In this latter particular I entirely agree with the view he evidently held. The Constitution was not framed with a view to any such rebellion as that of of 1861-5. While it did not authorize rebellion it made no provision against it. Yet the right to resist or suppress rebellion is as inherent as the right of self-defence, and as natural as the right of an individual to preserve his life when in jeopardy. The Constitutuion was therefore in abeyance for the time being, so far as in any way affected the progress and termination of the war.

Those in rebellion against the government of the United States were not restricted by Constitutional provisions, or any other, except the acts of their Congress, which was loyal and devoted to the cause for which the South was then fighting. It would be a hard case when one-third of a nation, united in rebellion against the national authority, is entirely untrammeled, that the other two-thirds, in their efforts to maintain the Union intact, should be restrained by a Constitution preparped by our ancestors for the express purposed of insuring the permanency of the confederation of the States."

The Complete Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant.

I don't think I've ever read a more succinct explanation than that given by Grant with regard to secession.

I was also interested to read that Stanton had countermanded the order of the President in this instance. It's obvious he was a very powerful man. Was he more powerful than the President with regard to this issue - that of the Constitution and secession? What were the powers of the Secretary of War?

Back