Standard Civil War Reference Works

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
There are a few titles I keep bumping into in the area of standard references for the Civil War. Apart from the O.R., O.R. Atlas, and the O.R.N., I see these noted frequently:

Boatner, Mark Mayo III. The Civil War Dictionary.

Dyer, Frederick Henry. Compendium of the War of the Rebellion.

Library of Congress Civil War Desk Reference.

Long, E.B. and Barbara. The Civil War Day By Day: An Almanac, 1861-1865.

Any other major reference works? Preferably ones that have stood the test of time...

I'd add:

Wise, Lifeline of the Confederacy

Black, The Confederate Railroads

Both are quoted and referenced frequently, and will be for a long time.

I can vouch for Lifeline of the Confederacy. (I made sure to get my copy signed when Dr. Wise was giving a talk at a Marine "Landing Party Breakfast" in his capacity as historian of Parris Island...) :thumbsup:

I can vouch for Lifeline of the Confederacy. (I made sure to get my copy signed when Dr. Wise was giving a talk at a Marine "Landing Party Breakfast" in his capacity as historian of Parris Island...) :thumbsup:

Parris Island has a historian?

Just about every Civil War book I've read includes in it's biography Lee's Lieutenants (I forget the name of the author). It's not an original source book, but seems to be one of those books which is handy to keep nearby.

Just about every Civil War book I've read includes in it's biography Lee's Lieutenants (I forget the name of the author). It's not an original source book, but seems to be one of those books which is handy to keep nearby.

Douglas Southall Freeman

Confederate Veteran Magazine. The early issues when the veterans were still living were published in a multi-volume set.

The two reference books that are most handy and reliable, in my estimation are:

General in Blue & Generals in Gray.
Authored by Ezra Warner.

Back