Ami's SOA Stained Glass Windows of the Civil War...

A Stained Glass window of someone who would not enlist during the war but worked with the YMCA...

D. L. Moody
, was an American evangelist and publisher connected with the Holiness Movement, who founded the Moody Church, Northfield School and Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts (now Northfield Mount Hermon School), Moody Bible Institute and Moody Publishers.

D. L. Moody "could not conscientiously enlist" in the Union Army during the Civil War, later describing himself as "a Quaker" in this respect.[4] After the Civil War started, he became involved with the United States Christian Commission of the YMCA. He paid nine visits to the battlefront, being present among the Union soldiers after the Battle of Shiloh (a.k.a. Pittsburg Landing) and the Battle of Stones River; he also entered Richmond, Virginia, with the troops of General Grant.

On August 28, 1862, Moody married Emma C. Revell, with whom he had a daughter, Emma Reynolds Moody, and two sons, William Revell Moody and Paul Dwight Moody.

17-85-43C-134-98.0029fa.jpg

Window
Building Name: Kirk in the Hills

Studio Name: Detroit Stained Glass Works, The

City: Bloomfield Hills

Subject/Title of Window: Dwight L. Moody

Brief Description of Subject: American evangelist and one of twenty-one stained glass portrait medallions in the glass walls of the Cloister at the Kirk in the Hills. The portraits are of Christian leaders throughout the centuries and are arranged in groups of three within the Cloister's seven bays.

17-85-43C-134-98.0029fa.jpg

Dwight L. Moody
The MSGC is a constantly evolving database. Not all the data that has been collected by volunteers has been sorted and entered. Not every building has been completely documented.

All images in the Index are either born-digital photographs of windows or buildings or are scans of slides, prints, or other published sources. These images have been provided by volunteers and the quality of the material varies widely.

If you have any questions, additions or corrections, or think you can provide better images and are willing to share them, please contact [email protected]

Here are some more memorial Stained Glass windows from the Glendale Chapel... http://bones1234.blogspot.com/2017/

8%2B15%2B17%2B057.jpg

Glendale Cemetery Akron Ohio has a memorial chapel for the Union war dead. The ground was dedicated on Memorial Day 1875, and the formal opening was on the next Memorial Day. It is a beautiful building, inside and out.

The left window below remembers three Voris Brothers who died, one in service, one from exposure as prisoner, and one of starvation at Andersonville. The right window is for the first Akron soldier that died in the war, William Palmer Williamson.

voris%2Bwmson.jpg

The window pictured supra is dedicated to Henry N. Smith who died at the Confederate Prison Camp Andersonville Georgia, and to Eugene D. Smith who "died from the effects of war" in 1868.
smith.jpg

Stained Glass window to a Dr. Sam Gleaves of Wytheville, VA.

Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/91837446/samuel-crockett-gleaves

Timeline of his life: http://www.gleavesfamily.com/home/dr._samuel_crockett_gleaves_timeline.html

Dedication of Stained Glass Window in the Presbyterian Church: To: Dr. S. C. Gleaves (1823-1890), Marie L. Gleaves (1829-1879) by the Gleaves Family 1890
Stain_glass_Gleaves_SC1.jpg

Dr Sam Gleaves Military record...

Here is his complete record... http://www.gleavesfamily.com/home/dr._samuel_crockett_gleaves_timeline/civil_war_years.html

06/07/1860 - Practiced medicine, 68th District, Wytheville, Wythe Co., VA (lived with wife, "Mariah" and three children - indexed in the 1860 U.S. Census as Samuel C. Gleaves)
06/00/1861 - Surgeon, 45th VA Infantry
07/11/1861 - Appointed Surgeon, Provisional Army of the Confederate States
07/11/1861 - Ordered to report to the 45th VA Infantry
08/27/1861 - Surgeon, 45th VA Infantry, Camp Gauley, VA [on the Gauley River, now in the state of West Virginia]
09/01/1861 - In a letter written from Camp Gauley, VA, to his family in Wythe Co., VA, ". . . I have had a plenty of operations since our engagement ext [extracting] Balls & amputating. . . .I am almost relieved of rheumatism from sleeping on the ground and eating tough Bull Beef. . . . Tell Bob to bring me a thick comfort for bed …, SCG"
09/13/1861 - In a letter written from Camp Walker to his wife, "I wrote to you yesterday without giving you the particulars of our late Battle of Gauley River. . . . . we feel back in the night else we would have been totally annihilated the next morning - we loss some horses &- prisoners I lost my tent & fine blanket I am glad no worse . . . .I rode up and down the line encouraging the men with a large navy pistol two men fell back I drew my pistol & told them if they came any nearer I would shoot them at which one fell back & fought manfully . . . Your husband, S C Gleaves"
09/21/1861 - "Dr. Gleaves, of Wytheville, has the fine pistol of Col. Lytell [Col. William Haines Lytle, 10th Ohio Infantry, U.S. Army] and Capt. Steptoe, of Bedford, his splendidly mounted saddle and bridle. The fine horse was shot through and died [during the Battle of Carnifax Ferry, Virginia, Sept. 10, 1861. Col. Lytle was wounded in the leg and taken prisoner]" Daily Examiner, Richmond, Virginia, Sept. 21, 1861, from the Lynchburg [Virginia] Republican.
09/24/1861 - In a letter written from a camp near Lewisburg, VA, to his father, Maj. James T. Gleaves, Wytheville, Wythe Co., VA, "Dear Father, I have a letter from James [brother of Dr. S. C. Gleaves] on yesterday saying you was quite sick. I regret exceedingly to hear such is the case & mind thus I can't be with you. You may rest assured if possible I'll get a furlough in short time & come & see you. I hope you are better. . . . Your affectionate Son, S C Gleaves"
10/12/1861 - In a letter written from Green Sulphur Springs, Fayette County, Virginia, to his father, "My Dear Father, . . .I am tired of camp life to some degree. The particular objection, I'll tell when I see you later on. . . . I hope my horse got home safely for if he had stayed here he would have died from excitement, not been [sic - being] able to stand the firing of cannon & muskets. . . I want an over coat made with large cape & buttoned on & made to military style the cape to have buttons on it. Don't trouble yourself about it. . . . I hope you will continue to improve. Bless me ever your dutiful son, S C Gleaves"
10/15/1861 - As Surgeon, 45th VA Infantry, stationed in Greenbrier Co., VA
11/30/1861 - Surgeon, 45th VA Infantry
03/11/1862 - Father, James, died in Wythe Co., VA
04/18/1862 - As Surgeon, 45th VA Infantry, stationed at Giles C.H., Giles Co., VA
05/24/1862 - In a letter written from Sulphur Springs, VA, to his brother Wythe, "Dear Wythe, I just returned from Lewisburg [Virginia] which we reached yesterday morning and engaged the enemy . . . .Do you think I could make a regiment in South Western Va & make a Colonel. I think I could the latter. Now what say you about the former? let me know I am anxious to engage in a more elevated position than Surgeon. Enclosed you will find an order showing I had a position of Medical Director tendered me - which I resign. I want you to keep this as some many think it was all Buncombe. Your brother, S C Gleaves"
06/12/1862 - Prepared and signed a Certificate of Disability for Discharge for Pvt. Wilson Patrick, 45th VA Infantry, Salt Sulphur Springs, VA. finding him "incapable of performing the duties of a soldier because of Rheumatism which has become chronic, S. C. Gleaves, Surgeon"
02/07/1863 - On leave
05/23/1863 - A Certification of Disability prepared by Surgeon John Moffet Estill, Jr. Camp of Instruction, Dublin, VA, and Surgeon Thomas Creigh, Surgeon-in-charge, Pearisburg Hospital, Pearisburg, VA, read as follows: "We certify that we have carefully examined Surgeon S. C. Gleaves & find him unable to perform the duties of a Surgeon in any capacity. Because of Varicose Veins of the right leg (bad) & incomplete Fistula in ano & Rheumatism of the hands & arms. The combined Result of exposure in camp & severe & prostrated attack of Typhoid Fever. We further believe he will not be fit for duty in any reasonable time if ever & thus he should be discharged from service."
05/23/1863 - In a letter written from Dublin Depot, VA, to the Confederate Surgeon General Samuel Preston Moore, Richmond, VA, "Genl., Feeling my self totally unable to discharge the duties of Surgeon in any capacity & anxious if possible to improve my general health, I hereby tender my resignation. Very Respectfully, Your Obt. Servt., S C Gleaves, C.S. A."
05/30/1863 - Application for resignation referred by the Surgeon General to the Confederate Adjutant and Inspector General for acceptance
05/30/1863 - Resigned from the Confederate Army
10/14/1863 - As a private physician, Wytheville, VA, sold two pounds of zinc chloride liquid to Medical Purveyor William Brown Robertson, Confederate States

President Arthur had a memorial window for his wife...

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/nell-arthurs-memorial-window

The stained glass window at Saint John’s Church depicting the Resurrection was created as a memorial to Ellen Herndon Arthur. At the request of her husband, President Chester A. Arthur, the window was placed at the south transept of the church so that he could see it at night from the White House.
Journal360050.jpg

upload_2018-10-5_18-9-57.gif

A memorial stained glass window to President McKinley by his wife: I can not find out the meaning of each window...

Church of the Savior United Methodist History (1817-2014) in Canton, Ohio

The McKinley Memorial windows which grace the west wall of the sanctuary were dedicated in 1907,a gift from his widow and church member Ida McKinley, in honor of the martyred president.

It was in 1867 that William McKinley first came to Canton to establish a law practice. He became active in the work of our church, served as Sunday School Superintendent, and was a Trustee of the church for many years.
Even though his later commitments as legislator, Governor of Ohio and President of the United States required him to be absent from Canton for long intervals, he maintained a close association with our church. Thus, it was here that his body was brought for funeral services following his assassination in 1901. The flag that draped McKinley's casket is on display in our church library, along with other momentos and photographs relating to the church. The McKinley family pew is marked with a plaque.

Links: https://www.crossroads120.org/history

Here is a link to the window in full size...
Link: https://www.crossroads120.org/history?lightbox=dataItem-iyq9n7wt

Last edited by a moderator:
These stained glass windows are:

A Tribute To San Diego County Courts Of The Past

http://www.sandiego.courts.ca.gov/portal/stglass/stgls_al.html

Alabama

After the Civil War, the Reconstruction legislature abandoned the original seal depicting the state's rivers as its greatest resource in favor of an eagle on a shield. The banner carries a fictional translation of the Indian word Alabama. A more accurate rendering is believed to be "This is a goodly land and here we will make our home". The state legislature restored the original Great Seal in 1939.

This window is displayed on the first floor of the Hall of Justice.

al_winlg.gif

Arkansas
Based on a richly symbolic seal, the Arkansas window carries the 13 stars of the original states, the angel of mercy, the goddess Liberty, the sword of justice, the eagle with the symbols of war and peace, and the Latin motto, "The people rule". The shield depicts the state industries.

This window is displayed on the second floor of the Hall of Justice.

ak_winlg.gif

Delaware
The two figures flanking the shield represent the soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War and the farmers who cultivated the wheat and other crops. The band crossing the shield represents a river with the steamboat symbolizing commerce. Delaware adopted the state motto on the banner in 1847.

de_winlg.gif

Indiana
The pioneer woodsman felling a tree commemorates the advancement of settlers clearing the land for agriculture. The setting sun symbolizes the departure of the buffalo as civilization encroached upon his grazing land.

This window is displayed on the third floor in the Hall of Justice.

in_winlg.gif

Attachments

• ak_winlg.gif
    ak_winlg.gif
    89.4 KB · Views: 54
  • al_winlg.gif
    al_winlg.gif
    75.9 KB · Views: 51
  • de_winlg.gif
    de_winlg.gif
    70.9 KB · Views: 54
  • in_winlg.gif
    in_winlg.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Here some more windows from: A Tribute To San Diego County Courts Of The Past.

Iowa

The simplified seal of Iowa depicts the citizen soldier, sword in hand, proudly displaying his flag beneath an eagle in flight. The plow and sheaf of wheat in the foreground symbolize agriculture, with a boat plying the Mississippi as the mode of transportation. The eagle unfurls a banner bearing the Iowa motto to frame the scene.

ia_winlg.gif

Ohio
The first state west of the Alleghenies, Ohio included in its first seal the sun rising behind the mountains, a sheaf of wheat, and a bundle of 17 arrows. In 1886, the legislature adopted a new seal and coat of arms to portray the advances in agriculture and industrial output stimulated by the Civil War. A farmer and a blacksmith thus stand with the tools of their trade in the foreground, but the design elements were repealed two years later.

This window is displayed on the third floor of the Hall of Justice.

oh_winlg.gif

Oregon

Oregon joined the Union in 1859, the 33rd state as denoted by the 33 stars. The federal eagle with wings outstretched brandishes an olive branch and three arrows to convey peace through strength as the sun sinks into the Pacific. Thousands of early settlers who lived through the first winter in the Oregon Territory on boiled wheat are recalled in the sheaf of that grain.

or_winlg.gif

Nebraska

The Nebraska stained glass window proclaims equality before the law as a riverboat on the Missouri and a freight train crossing a bridge propel the state into the future. The settler's cabin with sheaves of wheat and a blacksmith hammering out tools on his anvil represent agriculture and the mechanic's art.

This window is displayed on the fourth floor of the Hall of Justice

ne_winlg.gif

Attachments

• ia_winlg.gif
    ia_winlg.gif
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
  • oh_winlg.gif
    oh_winlg.gif
    69.1 KB · Views: 50
  • ne_winlg.gif
    ne_winlg.gif
    60.4 KB · Views: 52
  • or_winlg.gif
    or_winlg.gif
    63.1 KB · Views: 46
The last ones from: A Tribute To San Diego County Courts Of The Past

Nevada

The Nevada seal commemorates the state's great mining resources. A quartz mill operates at the foot of the mountains on the right, with the tunnel of a silver mine on the left. The railroad expresses the importance of Nevada as a transportation corridor between the Midwest and the West Coast. The motto "all for our country" swirls around the wheat and plow, symbolizing agriculture.

nv_winlg.gif

North Carolina

This rendering of the North Carolina seal portrays a seated Liberty grasping her pole with its liberty cap. Ceres, the goddess of fruitfulness, stands next to a cornucopia spilling out the bounty of the earth. She lifts three heads of ripe wheat aloft as though bestowing a blessing.

This window is displayed on the second floor of the Hall of Justice.

nc_winlg.gif

Rhode Island

The seal of the period depicted a foul anchor with a cable twisted around the shank, but the artist added the figure of Liberty. Since Rhode Island was founded by religious leaders, historians believe the state motto "hope" stems from a biblical phrase. "Hope we have as an anchor of the soul" is a likely candidate.

ri_winlg.gif

Vermont

The seal in use at the time resembles the present coat of arms with the central New England pine and stag's head rather that the 1778 seal design used today. The state motto, indicating that the individual states should be free but united, may have been one source for Daniel Webster's Liberty and Union speech.

This window is displayed on the fourth floor of the Hall of Justice.

vt_winlg.gif

Attachments

• nc_winlg.gif
    nc_winlg.gif
    82.9 KB · Views: 54
  • nv_winlg.gif
    nv_winlg.gif
    64.4 KB · Views: 51
  • vt_winlg.gif
    vt_winlg.gif
    54.3 KB · Views: 55
  • ri_winlg.gif
    ri_winlg.gif
    87.8 KB · Views: 54
A window attacking slavery...http://pilgrimduluth.org/tiffany-windows/

The bottom panel of the Walker Memorial Windowshows Lyman Abbott delivering a sermon attacking slavery in Terre Haute, Indiana, just before the outbreak of the Civil War. A printed copy of the sermon resurfaced while Dr. Halfaker was a minister of the same Terre Haute church.

1548992034949.png

Pilgrim Congregational Church of Duluth

United Church of Christ

2310 East 4th Street

Duluth MN, 55812

Not the greatest picture... Union Spring Church's stained civil war window...

https://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/10/union_springs_church_resurrect.html

The arch-shaped window carries deep historic roots and pays tribute to this country’s military troops. The now-obsolete A.A. Hoff Post 494 Grand Army of the Republic donated the window to the church in memory of A.A. Hoff, a Union Springs-area resident who died of an illness in the Civil War, Tanner said.

A circular piece at the top of the window illustrates the American flag and the military Medal of Valor. Beneath the medal is a five-point star with the words “Grand Army of the Republic” and “Veteran” between the years “1861” and “1866.” Another portion of the window carries the words, “In memory of soldiers dead.”

1549026835529.png

Here is some from Wisconsin... http://www.suvcw-wi.org/memorials/king.html

Wisconsin's Civil War Memorials
Wisconsin Veteran's Home, King

1553863528159.png

1553863562226.png

The Wisconsin Veterans Home at King was incorporated in 1887 by the Wisconsin Department of the Grand Army of the Republic. Initially, a retirement home for Civil War veterans and their spouses, the Home is today operated by the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs and currently cares for approximately 800 veterans and spouses. Some original buildings still exist. The Home is on Hwy Q, about 2 and a half mile from Hwy. 54 out of Waupaca.

The photo below left is a Grand Army of the Republic window from the Wisconsin Veteran's Home. It is placed in the window frame of the Home's chapel. This stained glass window is approximately two feet by three feet. It is protected from the exterior with Plexiglass.

The Women's Relief Corps stained glass window is sitting in a window frame inside the chapel. It sits alongside of the GAR window and has a similar size of two feet by three feet. The WRC was responsible for the chapel's construction and maintenance and are still active in the Home with the WRC F.A.Marden Post #104.

I found this interesting Confederate Stained Glass Window... I do not know where it is located...

A leaded stained glass window commemorates Confederate lieutenant Richard "Dick" Dowling and his artillerymen who defeated a Union flotilla attempting to invade Texas at the Second Battle of Sabine Pass on September 8, 1863. Dowling, in the foreground, is depicted with field glasses and a sword as his men fire upon the Union ships. "Citizens of Texas veterans [and] Daughters of Confederacy" commissioned the memorial in 1907.

1555173224838.png

Original Author: Charles F. Hogeman Company, New York City, New York; Alan Thompson, photographer
Created: 1907
Medium: Leaded stained glass window
Courtesy of The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, VA

Here is one from a church in New Jersey:
The First United Methodist Church of Williamstown

1557982061265.png

Close-up, the details of the stained-glass window that dates back to 1867 are evident. A marble pillar depicted is wrapped by a ribbon that reads “In memory of the soldiers of the Union.” The restoration process is estimated to cost around $31,000. Photo: Krista Cerminaro, The Sun

Here is a link to the story: https://medium.com/the-williamstown-sun/a-piece-of-history-ab31c7b04fe8

Back