For instance, consider that, in 1925, the Alabama Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy commissioned Tiffany Studios in New York to create a stained glass window to honor and memorialize the glory of the Civil War-era cadets of the University of Alabama.
Here is one with Stonewall Jackson's last words.... in a Black Church..
A story I did not know of Jackson...
The interesting thing is that Jackson in his own time was known for being rather friendly to Black people. In defiance of state law, he started a Colored Sunday School Lexington in 1855 and taught slaves to read and supported it financially even while away in combat. Many of his former students went on to found Black churches and schools. The first donation for the statue for his grave came from Lexington's Negro Baptist Church and in the Black Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church of Roanoke, Virginia, is a stained glass memorial to Jackson, the founding pastor having been a member of Jackson's class.
Check this out...
FIFTH AVENUE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, is located at 301 Patton Ave. nw, Roanoke, Virginia. The street was Fifth Ave. before many streets were renamed many years ago. It is an Afro-American church with a stained glass window behind the pulpit that is a memorial to General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, and depicts "Let us Cross the River and Rest in the Shade of the Trees."
In 1905, Rev. L.L. Downing (1863-1937), the pastor of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, had this window installed because Thomas J. Jackson taught the Reverend Downing’s parents to read and write and instructed them in the ways of the Presbyterian Church. Thomas J. Jackson was a VMI professor in Lexington, Virginia before the Civil War, and was a staunch Presbyterian.
Dr. Lylburn O. Downing, a son of the Reverend Downing and a 1912 graduate of Howard University Medical School, practiced medicine in Roanoke. The dedication on July 21, 1905 was attended by a vast crowd of white and black Roanokers. In his speech that day, Rev. Downey counseled the Negros (the term used at that period), "to be as chivalrous and honest as you were in the days of slavery and to uplift yourselves. Those who want to get ahead, will find the white man his best friend. There is no reason why the races cannot work in harmony."
When the wooden church burned in 1950s, the window was not damaged, and a brick church was erected on the site. The "Jackson Window" was again installed behind the pulpit. Much of the financial help to rebuild the church came from white friends and business leaders in the City.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|"The green sward had been stained by a brighter crimson than nature gives to the dying leaves"||Antietam / Sharpsburg||1|
|Stained glass||Robert E. Lee||7|
|Restricted Stained Glass Windows enter the Monument Debate...Remove Confederate symbols from Episcopal Churches||Concerns About Civil War Monuments and Sites||16|
|Stained glass panel depicting then-Brigadier General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson||Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson||5|
|"The green sward had been stained by a brighter crimson than nature gives to the dying leaves"|
|Restricted Stained Glass Windows enter the Monument Debate...Remove Confederate symbols from Episcopal Churches|
|Stained glass panel depicting then-Brigadier General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson|