Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Date: March 18, 1865
Newspaper: World

pats1.JPG

pats2.JPG

From the NYT article:

The Friendly Sons were not untrue to their traditions -- though it must be allowed that many of those whose names are inseparably connected with the history of their organization, and who have, in latter times, been the faciles principes at the annual banquet, have taken to "fresh fields and pastures new." Yet the society was not by any means lacking in talent at their dinner at Delmonico's last night. The talent that constitutes not alone the pride, but the resource of Celtic fellow-citizens, was well represented by such men as Hon. C.P. Daly, Hon. John R. Brady, Hon. Edmund Hearne, Hon. Henry Alker -- (all Judges) -- Francis Byrne, Esq., John B. Fogarty, Esq., Wm.C. Traphagen, Esq., Joseph Choate, Esq., Wm.H. Ryan, Esq. -- (all lawyers) -- P. Mulvihill, John W. Webber, Wm. Watson, Eugene Kelly, Alexander Stuart, Joseph Stuart, Chas. Wilman, Wm. Hogust, Wm. Whiteside, J. Rice, Arthur O'Donnell, Wm. Dempster -- (all civilians of good standing and repute) -- and, as a representative of the lighting element, Gen. Van Vilet.

The table was most lavishly set, the Friday in Lent notwithstanding. To speak of the wines and the delicacies would be only to go over a thrice-told tale. People do not, generally speaking, spend, even for nationality's sake, $17 on a dinner, without a very tangible quid pro quo.

The music, under the leadership of one of the DODWORTHS, was admirable.

The new President, Mr. RICHARD BELL, who has been so long and so efficient a member of "The Sons," called the assemblage to order at the appropriate time, and said.

MR. BELL's SPEECH.

MR. PRESIDENT AND GENTLEMEN: I shall be as frank with you as the pressure of the times will permit. I am not here to make a speech. I am here, rather, to make an apology (If apology be needed) for not making a speech. A "speech" implies, in the ordinary acceptation of the term, a saying of something that regards other people's affairs, as well as your own. Now, if I had entertained serious intentions of delivering an elaborate address in response to the sentiment with which you have so kindly associated my name, I might have spoken to you of things not generally known; perhaps, concerning the origin of our race -- its prowess -- its wonderful capacity for reaching high altitudes in the realms of science, of literature and of art. But I prefer, on this occasion, to leave the past to itself, and talk of Irishmen as we find them to-day. In looking at our procession to-day, I felt a glow of pride, not because of the simple grandeur of the display, but because of the sentiment it embodied. The long array of orderly, sober, well-behaved and fine-looking men it presented has never been excelled in this city. It was a noble display. The old sod itself was never trod, on any occasion, by such a concourse of men -- not simply citizens, but men, and not hats, as Mr. RUSSELL saw them; and as for the brains under the hats and the muscles within the coats, I defy the world to equal them! But, say some gentlemen, disposed to be censorious, "These Irish are so clannish, so factious." Admitted. Men may be allowed to have their likings, and "blood is thicker than water," no matter where or among whom you go. It has also been said of them, in a disparaging sort of way, that they are fractious. Grant that, also. They hare maintained a contest against subjugation for over eight hundred years or more in their own land, and we cannot well find fault with them, even as conscript fathers, for perpetuating their democratic proclivities on this "fresh and fair land."

Ah, but they are superstitious! I can, in reply, safely aver that there is not a Mormon house of worship nor a Spiritualistic circle in all Ireland. It is true, they have a faith of which the world has reason to know something; but fighting, rollicking, jolly as Paddy is, his creed, through all times and places, has ever taught him to say -- and, with this hearty prayer I close -- "Peace on earth and good will to men." [Great applause.]

More from the article:

The toast of "The United States" was responded to by Mr. CLEVELAND, of Connecticut. Mr. CLEVELAND failed to satisfy his audience, and some disturbance followed, which, though not very emphatic, was ostentatious enough to be, for a time, unpleasant.

The speech of Gen. VAN VLIEZ, in response to the toast of the Army and Navy, elicited much applause. He paid a high tribute of praise to the Irishman as a gallant soldier and loyal citizen -- and, en passant, passed a high encomium on MCCLELLAN and Secretary STANTON.

After him, Mr. CHOATE, on behalf of the New-England Society, Judge BRADY, Judge HEARNE, Judge ALKER, Judge MCCUNN and others, made brief speeches.

Among the communications received were the following:

LETTER FROM JOHN VAN BUREN, ESQ.

Much to my regret, I find I shall not be able to attend your festival this evening. It would have given me great pleasure to be present on an occasion of so much interest to meet friends whom I esteem. Permit me to offer now the subjoined sentiment, and to express the hope that the "Friendly Sons" will have, as they deserve, a first-rate, good time. Truly yours.

J. VAN BUREN,

NEW-YORK, March 17, 1865.

Prince JOHN sent in the following sentiment:

"Freedom of Religious Faith. A vital principle of our Republic, to be maintained at all hazards." [Applause.]

Back