St L to New Orleans...looking for a specific plantation tour

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
"Hey Dad, want to go on a road trip?" asks my 29 yo daughter.... "Heck ya!!", I promptly replied.

So I'm planning a trip for 6/17 to 6/26 and could use a little help... I'm looking for a specific plantation and also some things other than CW related that she might enjoy more.

We'll start at Starved Rock SP off of I80 and end the first day near the Cahokia mounds.
Next day I want to see St Genevieve and will continue to Memphis. Graceland maybe.
Next day takes us to Vicksburg.... her idea!!
Then we'll wander down to New Orleans.

She has a librarian conference there and will fly home. I will wander back to Michigan on my own.

Here's info on the plantation I'm interested in... a few years ago I saw a presentation on CSPAN by the guy who had recently purchased it. He put a ton of money in it and the focus is the slave's experience. I'll bet someone out there know's exactly which one I'm referring to.

@KLSDAD I don't know if you've ever been to Graceland before but there's been some big changes in the last 12 months . Besides the 3 star hotel ' The Guest House at Graceland' which is next to the Mansion a whole new complex has been built across the road . Lots more shops and exhibits , jump suits, cars and memorabilia, ( serious shopping if you're a fan ) Gill could spend the whole vacation here but the deal is, she navigates me to the Battlefields and in return she's allowed to drag me kicking and screaming around Graceland to pay her respects to Elvis :laugh:
Have a safe journey.

The first time I saw Graceland was in 1978. Vernon was selling tickets and his wife was selling souvenirs. You only saw the outside of the house and the gravesite. Souvenir places across the road and not much else, it was a real wasteland. I am sure it is totally different now of course. I would like to see it again. It would be totally different I am sure. actually some great things to see in New Orleans. The last time I was there it was better than Disneyland, only way stranger. The National WWII Museum is worth a stop. It is one of a kind.

The National WWII Museum is worth a stop. It is one of a kind.
Completely agree. Definitely worth a stop. So is Confederate Memorial Hall (now called the American Civil War Museum, I think).

Vicksburg will take some time but well worth it. Don't forget about Chickasaw Bayou and Champion Hill, they are close by (actually Chickasaw Bayou is just outside of Vicksburg now).

For sure go to Natchez to see antebellum homes and outside of Baton Rouge is a Cajun folk park that is very interesting. Go along the "River Road" where you will see many Plantation Homes on the way to Orleans.

Don't forget Shiloh is on the way in Tennessee as well.

John

I highly recommend the Chalmette National Battlefield (Battle of New Orleans) just east of downtown New Orleans. The Treaty of Ghent was signed around Christmas of 1814. The Battle of New Orleans occurred on January 8th, 1815. This battle would never have happened if they had phones and text messaging.

Bill

Thanks for the tips! Graceland was on my radar but a friend told me that it is a bit pricey if you aren't a big fan. I'm encouraged by the above info !!

I actually asked Katie to look into Vicksburg and Natchez... she was more excited about the former. I've been to both... Vicksburg many times and Natchez just last summer. I think we will try to fit Longwood in though!

Chuck

@KLSDAD I don't know if you've ever been to Graceland before but there's been some big changes in the last 12 months . Besides the 3 star hotel ' The Guest House at Graceland' which is next to the Mansion a whole new complex has been built across the road . Lots more shops and exhibits , jump suits, cars and memorabilia, ( serious shopping if you're a fan ) Gill could spend the whole vacation here but the deal is, she navigates me to the Battlefields and in return she's allowed to drag me kicking and screaming around Graceland to pay her respects to Elvis :laugh:
Have a safe journey.
Of course is not antebellum but built in 1939 in the Southern plantation style.

Oak Alley Plantation on Highway 18 about 45 minutes west of New Orleans is worth a visit. There are other plantations along that route as well. Additionally, while no longer existing, there is a marker designating the former plantation of CSA general Richard Taylor.

067.JPG

3f95fd67-0508-4e74-bbce-229633c8d59d.jpg

Oak Alley Plantation on Highway 18 about 45 minutes west of New Orleans is worth a visit. There are other plantations along that route as well. Additionally, while no longer existing, there is a marker designating the former plantation of CSA general Richard Taylor.

View attachment 191681

3f95fd67-0508-4e74-bbce-229633c8d59d.jpg
Good one. I was trying to remember the name of that road that runs alongside the river levee before I posted about Oak Alley. I was there last October.

Good one. I was trying to remember the name of that road that runs alongside the river levee before I posted about Oak Alley. I was there last October.

Oak Alley is along the West Bank of the Miss. River. There are more mansions along the East bank and are closer to NOLA, but I like Oak Alley the best.

Oak Alley is along the West Bank of the Miss. River.
I was trying to remember the name of the road it's on without Googling it. :D

I was trying to remember the name of the road it's on without Googling it. :D

And I can't help you with that. I moved out of NOLA back in the late 80's, but my job there took me up along the river.

Just remembered; it's on hwy 18 between St. James and Vacherie. River road on the east side of the river is hwy 44. I'd take Hwy 44 out of NOLA and drive up to Union, cross the hwy 70 bridge over the river and come back down to NOLA on hwy 18.

KSLDad should go to Commanders Palace for dinner and ask for the Angus Cooper table; I did that and it always got me moved to the front of the line and a wonderful corner table overlooking the gardens and really fast service.
( I wonder if Angus is still alive?)

Back