Squirrel Stew

I guess you eat what you have to eat and what you like to eat.

The bad thing about me is I make every animal a pet. When we had our house in Indiana we backed up to the woods. Everything came up to visit. I was feeding 17 raccoons, 2 groundhogs, a red fox, several deer, and a box turtle. I know the wildlife people would have had a fit. They just kept coming. The raccoons and the groundhogs loved dog food. So we were buying it several times a week at our grocery. The cashier finally asked me how many dogs did I have. She couldn't believe it, when I said it was for raccoons and groundhogs. The 2 groundhogs loved milk bones. It was really unreal.

Where we live now, I just feed the birds.

Lol! That's when I started feeding the cats out in the yard - and during the day! One night the porch light was out and I dumped some dry food in the pans on the back porch like always. Chomp, gulp, gobble! I reached down and petted a few cats - gee, their fur felt funny! It wasn't Momcat and her litter, it was Skunk mom and her litter! (The cats were respectfully waiting a respectful distance for their turn... Two things in life to learn from that - patience and wisdom!)

This is an interesting thread, but it's got me wondering lots of things, like . . .

Okay, how do you get a turtle out of the shell? (No, this is not the start to a joke--I really don't know!) And do turtles have many bones? Snapping turtles or other turtles?

This is an interesting thread, but it's got me wondering lots of things, like . . .

Okay, how do you get a turtle out of the shell? (No, this is not the start to a joke--I really don't know!) And do turtles have many bones? Snapping turtles or other turtles?
Cleaning turtle (Snappers) is a PITA.

Grab it's mouth with a pair of pliers (I use ferrier pliers) and extend the neck.

Cut the head off

Either let the blood drain out or flush it out with a hose.

Put it on it's back , I use a cleaning board with nails in it that go through the shell and keep it from sliding around.

Cut of the feet

Then start skinning the belly until you get the belly plate off

Once you get the belly plate off you butcher out the hind quarters, fore quarters, neck and tail

Gut it out and then cut out the back strap in the top of the shell.

Then you get pare off all the yellow fat that will bitter the meat if you cook it with it on.

Even on a big snapper the cleaning isn't worth the meat IMHO, if I get a good big one I generally give it to my buddy a self described River Rat that loves the damned things.

Knew I had one, Ground Hog and Sweet Potatoes. Just some advice, only use young ground hogs older ones just are too gamey and stringy IMO.

Ingredients:
1. Groundhog
2. Cold water
3. Salt
4. Pepper
5. Sweet potatoes

Instructions:
Dress the groundhog as quickly as possible, and let soak for several hours in cold, salty water. After the meat is cold, you can trim any excess fat. Parboil to remove any remaining fat. Drain well. Place in oven at medium temperature with potatoes. Season the meat with salt and pepper and bake until brown
Oh sure. Just eat baby groundhogs. Sending PETA to your house.

We used to use something like the first squirrel recipe ( I think ). Last year? I believe the squirrel tasted a LOT like pork, and said so. My husband the hunter and wildlife chef just told me the squirrels must have been eating better, have some biscuits and honey, Honey.

Back