MS Springhill Cemetery, Grenada County, Mississippi

DixieRifles

Major
Member of the Year
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
Springhill Church Cemetery
5295 Sweethome Road
Located generally West of Grenada

I went there to take photos of two Officers in the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry. @Drrock and I had been discussing the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry and our ancestors who served in it. I said I wanted to go see this cemetery and he requested I post photos.
The two officers of the 3rd Mississippi were:
Capt. Robert Hood Turner is buried at Springhill Church in Carroll Co., MS
1st Lt John Thomas DuBard of Yalobusha Co is buried about 20 ft from Capt. Turner.
But----I could not find either of these graves. I found two family plots for the DuBARD family but there was not government headstone for John Thomas DuBard. @Drrock has copies of these two headstones; I will get these and post them later.

Historical marker in front of Springhill Cemetery
Cem-Marker_7903--B.jpg

One of the first graves, was Pvt Turnipseed of the 3rd Mississippi Cavalry.
I added Forrest's flag for decoration.

Turnipseed__3MissCav.JPG

Corp. John H. Carter, Company "I" 12 Mississippi Infantry
Carter_12Miss.JPG

CarterJohnH_12Miss_pg02.JPG

I thought I could make out one of the soldiers I was searching for--TURNER--- but it was in the HEATH family plots.
James R. Heath, Artificer, and William Heath, both of Standfords Mississippi Light Artillery. Both served from 1862-1865.
HeathJamesR--Standfords.JPG
HeatherWilliam.JPG

HeathJames_StanfordBty_pg07.JPG
HeathWm_StanfordBty_pg08.JPG

Other members of Standfords Battery who are possibly related.
Jesse Heath
T. J. Heath
John Heath

Thomas Brannon, Company "D", 4th Mississippi Regiment
BrannonThos.JPG

Sgt. Thomas W. Harper, 15th Mississippi Regiment
Harper15Miss.JPG

Thomas Brannon Co. "D" 4th Mississippi Regiment
BrannonThos.JPG

Unknown. I could not read this marker but it was near the MILLER family plot.
Miller___.JPG

A view of the back of the cemetery, looking at the DuBARD family plot. This cemetery was rather odd as the graves toward the front gate(East side) were facing East but many of the graves in the back of the cemetery were facing WEST.
I never noticed this, however, I visited a modern cemetery and the graves faced the nearest access road. There were 4 roads in that cemetery so the graves faced East, West, East, West, East, West and so forth across the entire plot.

Dubardplot.JPG

Great Photos. I'm very familiar with the DuBard family as Bill and his brother Rod still have over 4000 acres of land west of town on the Yalobusha river that the still plant in cotton. I met Bill after we had located a CS camp on his property. They are great people and he and I were able to locate the original family home site up on the hills behind where Bad Boy buggies is located. The DuBard family has been in Yalobusha county for many generations.

Great Photos. I'm very familiar with the DuBard family as Bill and his brother Rod still have over 4000 acres of land west of town on the Yalobusha river that the still plant in cotton. I met Bill after we had located a CS camp on his property. They are great people and he and I were able to locate the original family home site up on the hills behind where Bad Boy buggies is located. The DuBard family has been in Yalobusha county for many generations.
I don't think I have come across that surname but who knows. @Drrock told me about the officer and I was hoping he would drop in and post the headstone that I missed.
I thought maybe it was a Cajun family that moved in the area. Do you know much of their history before the Civil War?

This is the one you went to last weekend correct? Outstanding pictures. Did the gravestone you couldn't read already have a marker flag? Here is the FindAGrave link to the cemetery.

I don't think I have come across that surname but who knows. @Drrock told me about the officer and I was hoping he would drop in and post the headstone that I missed.
I thought maybe it was a Cajun family that moved in the area. Do you know much of their history before the Civil War?
I have a whole file on them. I believe its on my external hard drive but if I remember right I had found the original land grant from the 1830's where the DuBard's had a huge track of land that went almost to Holcomb. Bill had a copy of a diary from his GGG Grandfather that told about the building of the main house etc and we were able to locate the site.

This is the one you went to last weekend correct? Outstanding pictures. Did the gravestone you couldn't read already have a marker flag? Here is the FindAGrave link to the cemetery.
Yes. That is it.
I'm not sure what your question is. I placed that flag at each grave only for the photo.
But I could NOT find the two graves that I went there to see, which were:
Capt. Robert Hood Turner
1st Lt John Thomas DuBard

I'm not sure what your question is. I placed that flag at each grave only for the photo.
"Unknown. I could not read this marker but it was near the MILLER family plot."

How did you know it was a veteran? It's not a standard Confederate gravestone.

"Unknown. I could not read this marker but it was near the MILLER family plot."

How did you know it was a veteran? It's not a standard Confederate gravestone.
Oh!! Gee. I didn't notice. I was so intent on reading the inscription, which has some similarity to arrangement of the letters on the Confederate headstone.

Oh!! Gee. I didn't notice. I was so intent on reading the inscription, which has some similarity to arrangement of the letters on the Confederate headstone.
I tried blowing the picture up and I can only make out a few letters.

I can make out the letters "BAR" on it and I think it is one of the many DuBards buried in that cemetery. I think it's this one. The picture in this FindAGrave memorial one was taken in 2011. Looks like the one you photographed.

Back