Springfield Model 1861 Rifle Musket.. What are the odds

Cannonman1

Private
We have all been in the position of handling a weapon from this period and saying to ourselves.. "I only wish this piece could talk". Unfortunately, almost all of them are just un ID'd and will remain as such but there are odds that are kind of fascinating to think about..
For example.. What are the odds that an 1862 dated Springfield would have served with the Army of the Potomac and been with one of the Union Corps in the Chancellorsville to Gettysburg time frame ?
I have heard that a lot of the 61's went to the Army of the Potomac but not sure if that is true or not.
Sure wish they could talk....
Bill

Unfortunately being without serial number or other personalized initials there is no way of knowing. Even with initials, whose to say they were there back when or someone trying to enhance there rifle. Unless you have provenance from family of soldier it is anybody's guess.

The best way is to research the units regimental histories which can be accessed on line thru the LOC. Most of them will have a mention of the weapons that were issued.

My personal opinion is that the odds are very good, because the gov't had a tendency to send the odd imports West quite often keeping the Springfields and Enfields in the Eastern theater. Remember, my opinion only. Others may disagree.
J.

For Sure.. 99.5 % of them have no connection to an individual soldier.. Complicating the picture is that vets could purchase a musket and accoutrements at the end of the war and it wasn't necessarily the one they were carrying... What I am really trying to get at is.. in this scenario, is where were most of the 61 Springfield Rifle Muskets going .. Did the Army of the Potomac have a trump card when it came to getting the Domestically made Springfields?? Armies in the West got a lot of Enfields I understand.

Back