What is this? Springfield 1861 Whitneyville, With Strange Proof

Urrikane

Private
I present to you my latest purchase, this Whitneyville branded M1861 musket.
It is strange because the barrel where there is the nipple does not have a screw, the barrel is not marked V.P. with eagle but there is a star, I've never seen it and I would like to know what it means.
I don't know much about Whitneyville muskets, I ask for your help for more information.
Thanks!
DSC_0764.JPG

DSC_0771.JPG

DSC_0756.JPG

DSC_0757.JPG

no screw like in model 1861
DSC_0761.JPG

V,P, with star ( no eagle) and G.W.Q. (inspector?)
DSC_0762.JPG

DSC_0763.JPG
DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0768.JPG
DSC_0769.JPG
DSC_0770.JPG
IMG20210829144456.jpg

Whitney made many firearms. Some from scratch and others from leftover parts. "The U.S. Model 1861 Springfield Rifle- Musket 2nd Edition" by James Whisker, Daniel Hartzler & Larry Yantz mentions them. The G.W.Q. was a factory inspector, but not listed in Charles Pate's book. The lack of clean out screw is visible in photos. The large oval hole in rear sight is mentioned as late 1864. No mention or photo of the proof.

Moller's American Military Shoulder Arms, Vol III, indicates that these were made under Whitney's second contract for the state of Connecticut. He also writes that Colt supplied Whitney with left over barrels that they had purchased from Millward in England for their contract for Model 1861 Special rifle-musket. That weapon lacked the clean out screw, so I would presume this is an example of one of those barrels. He mentions the star and GWQ markings, but didn't know the meaning either.

Interesting double stamp on the Y in Whitneyville. Are all Whitneyville's like that or is that an error? If it was a old coin that mistake would add to the value.

Back