Spotted Dog: A Traditional Irish Fruit Bread

In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd post a recipe for an authentic, traditional, Irish fruit bread or spotted dog. It seems at the time of the year when the men were working particularly hard in the fields, the farmer’s wife would reward them with a richer, sweeter bread than usual. According to her means she might throw in a fistful of currants or raisins, some sugar and an egg. The resulting bread, the traditional Irish ‘sweet cake’, had different names in different parts of the country including spotted dog, curnie cake and railway cake. This bread was also considered a treat for Sundays and special occasions. My version uses dried craisins and is delicious when served covered with raspberry-lime jam.

Cran-Raspberry Spotted Dog

Ingredients for the bread:
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cup dried craisins

Ingredients for the raspberry-lime jam:
4 cups raspberries
4 cups sugar
Zest and juice from 2 limes

Directions for the bread:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours. Sift in the baking soda. Pour the buttermilk into the center of the flour mixture and stir. Once the dough begins to take shape, pour in the craisins and lightly knead the mixture together. Shape the dough into a round, flattened ball. To create the traditional look of Irish soda bread, make an "X" on the top with a paring knife.

Lightly sprinkle some flour into a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Place the dough in it and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove from skillet and let cool completely.

Directions for the raspberry-lime jam:

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

In an oven-safe dish, warm the sugar in the oven for about 15 minutes.

In a large pot, mash the raspberries, zest, and juice together, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.

While stirring continuously, slowly add the warmed sugar. Allow the mixture to boil until it thickens into a gel, which could take up to 15 minutes. Once it is at the right consistency, remove from the heat and pour into glass jars. Allow to cool completely before serving.

Last edited by a moderator:

In celebration of St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd post a recipe for an authentic, traditional, Irish fruit bread or spotted dog. It seems at the time of the year when the men were working particularly hard in the fields, the farmer’s wife would reward them with a richer, sweeter bread than usual. According to her means she might throw in a fistful of currants or raisins, some sugar and an egg. The resulting bread, the traditional Irish ‘sweet cake’, had different names in different parts of the country including spotted dog, curnie cake and railway cake. This bread was also considered a treat for Sundays and special occasions. My version uses dried craisins and is delicious when served covered with raspberry-lime jam.

3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cup dried craisins

4 cups raspberries
4 cups sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours. Sift in the baking soda. Pour the buttermilk into the center of the flour mixture and stir. Once the dough begins to take shape, pour in the craisins and lightly knead the mixture together. Shape the dough into a round, flattened ball. To create the traditional look of Irish soda bread, make an "X" on the top with a paring knife.

Lightly sprinkle some flour into a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Place the dough in it and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until golden brown.

In a large pot, mash the raspberries, zest, and juice together, then bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.

While stirring continuously, slowly add the warmed sugar. Allow the mixture to boil until it thickens into a gel, which could take up to 15 minutes. Once it is at the right consistency, remove from the heat and pour into glass jars. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Yummm! If I made that I would eat it all myself.:hungry:

Irish soda bread is a taste I have acquired and adding the craisins would make it even better. To put it over the top spread some beautiful Irish butter on it in place of the jam - or in addition to the jam. Yum.
Soda bread can be very dry to my taste and there's an even better one called 'potato bread'. Nice and moist, you fry it up in the pan with the traditinal Irish fry up of sausage, egg, bacon, beans, tomato, mushrooms, etc. Yum! :hungry:

3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cup dried craisins

4 cups raspberries
4 cups sugar

Sounds delish! I wonder if you could do this in a bread machine

Eleanor. Thanks for sharing another one of your award winning and delicious recipes. Is this bread the same as Irish Soda Bread? My grandmother, who was 100 percent Scottish made a similar type bread for the holidays, especially in January. David.

3 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cup dried craisins

4 cups raspberries
4 cups sugar

I'm writing this down! It looks amazing :smile:

OK, @Norm53 , this is the recipe (fancy, mind you) taken from the link above with measurements :smile:

Ingredients
  • 500 g - self raising flour.
  • 10 g - active dried yeast.
  • 3 - medium potatoes, boiled, mashed.
  • 2 cups approx. - water or vegetable stock.
  • 3 flakes - garlic, crushed.
  • 3 - green chillies, finely chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - Basil chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - dill, fennel or Thyme leaves chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - Spring onions chopped.
  • 1/2 cup - grated cheese.
  • 1/2 tsp - each black and white poppy seeds.
  • Flour for dusting.
  • 1 tbsp - oil.
  • 2 tsp - salt.
  • 1/2 tsp - sugar.
How to Make Potato Bread
  • Mix flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
  • Break up mashed potato and put over flour.
  • Mix into flour with light hand.
  • Add tepid stock little by little, kneading to a soft smooth dough.
  • Add herbs, spring onions, chillies, garlic and cheese. Knead again to a smooth dough.
  • When dough is a nice smooth lump make a depressing in centre.
  • Pour in oil, knead slowly into dough.
  • When oil is absorbed and dough is smooth and elastic rub with greased palms.
  • Place dough in a large, greased bowl. Cover bowl with cellophane.
  • Keep in dark dry place like a switched off oven.
  • Allow to prove for 1 hour or till dough doubles in volume.
  • Punch down again. Shape into log, plait or a rectangle to fit a bread box.
  • Sprinkle remaining cheese, and top with poppy seeds.
  • Keep aside again for 30-40 mins or till dough rises double in size.
  • Preheat oven and bake at 250 C for 30 mins and 200 C for 5-7 minutes.
  • Invert bread carefully. Check if hollow and bake inverted for 5-7 mins.
  • Bread should have a smooth golden crust.
  • Cool to a warm temperature before slicing as required.
  • Brush with butter or apply garlic butter before serving.
  • Serve hot warm or cold with tea or beverages.

OK, @Norm53 , this is the recipe (fancy, mind you) taken from the link above with measurements :smile:

Ingredients
  • 500 g - self raising flour.
  • 10 g - active dried yeast.
  • 3 - medium potatoes, boiled, mashed.
  • 2 cups approx. - water or vegetable stock.
  • 3 flakes - garlic, crushed.
  • 3 - green chillies, finely chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - Basil chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - dill, fennel or Thyme leaves chopped.
  • 1 tbsp - Spring onions chopped.
  • 1/2 cup - grated cheese.
  • 1/2 tsp - each black and white poppy seeds.
  • Flour for dusting.
  • 1 tbsp - oil.
  • 2 tsp - salt.
  • 1/2 tsp - sugar.
How to Make Potato Bread
  • Mix flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
  • Break up mashed potato and put over flour.
  • Mix into flour with light hand.
  • Add tepid stock little by little, kneading to a soft smooth dough.
  • Add herbs, spring onions, chillies, garlic and cheese. Knead again to a smooth dough.
  • When dough is a nice smooth lump make a depressing in centre.
  • Pour in oil, knead slowly into dough.
  • When oil is absorbed and dough is smooth and elastic rub with greased palms.
  • Place dough in a large, greased bowl. Cover bowl with cellophane.
  • Keep in dark dry place like a switched off oven.
  • Allow to prove for 1 hour or till dough doubles in volume.
  • Punch down again. Shape into log, plait or a rectangle to fit a bread box.
  • Sprinkle remaining cheese, and top with poppy seeds.
  • Keep aside again for 30-40 mins or till dough rises double in size.
  • Preheat oven and bake at 250 C for 30 mins and 200 C for 5-7 minutes.
  • Invert bread carefully. Check if hollow and bake inverted for 5-7 mins.
  • Bread should have a smooth golden crust.
  • Cool to a warm temperature before slicing as required.
  • Brush with butter or apply garlic butter before serving.
  • Serve hot warm or cold with tea or beverages.
Thanks. Looks extremely hearty. If I served it with a legume, it would have all the amino acids and Calories galore for a soldier or an Irishman or Italian digging Erie canal ditches, as many did.

Back