Spinoff: What monuments should be added at Gettysburg?

K Hale

Colonel
Annual Winner
Who (or what) lacks a monument at Gettysburg?

I can think of three I'd like to see: Monuments to both Stuart and Gregg at East Cavalry Field, and one to Porter Alexander in the Peach Orchard.

The Alexander one ought to show him after the charge in, coming to a stop and pointing. I have no particular ideas about what Stuart and Gregg should be doing.

Thoughts?

If at all possible, something that does justice to Gregg's coolheaded calm and something simple yet impressive.

Like the man himself. I have no idea how one would appropriately translate that into sculpture, however.

There doesn't appear to be a monument to General Garnett himself (his brigade, yes, him, no). I would support having one of him as if he's leading the charge.

He should look stoic and determined. He didn't do anything eye catching like how Armistead had his hat on his sword, but he (Garnett) should look like someone who isn't going to flinch at the incoming fire.

I'm not sure where one would put it, but he deserves the honor.

Sickles was asked why he was the only Union Corps commander at Gettysburg without a statue and his reply was the very preserved battlefield was his monument. Not far from the truth, despite some questionable monetary dealings.

Porter Alexander would be my first pick at his July 2nd position. Is there a memorial to him anywhere?

Porter Alexander would be my first pick at his July 2nd position. Is there a memorial to him anywhere?
There is a tablet for his battalion at Gettysburg, but no monument to him anywhere, as far as I know. He always seems to fly under the radar.

Hmmm, well, that's not bad. A mini obelisk. OK. I'm glad to know that's there, but he still needs a big ol' bronze statue at Gettysburg.

Alexander helped develop the wigwag system in the prewar army, and as of 1861 was the only Confederate who knew the system. He set up a little signal school at Manassas (or it might have been Richmond, I forget) and trained a crew in its use (they weren't very bright, according to him). There seems to be no end to the areas of the service that he had a hand in. The Forrest Gump of the Civil War, only smarter.

Its not bad, just nothing to be particularly proud of other than that its remembered at all.

So I second giving him a good statue at Gettysburg.

Fredericksburg ("A chicken could not live on that field once we open on it, General.") might be more appropriate, but that's another thread. And its not like having both would be overly generous.

Fredericksburg ("A chicken could not live on that field once we open on it, General.") might be more appropriate, but that's another thread. And its not like having both would be overly generous.
Oh man, I forgot about that! That quote should be engraved on the base of it. One of the best quotes of the war.

Definately.

The full quote, according to Longstreet: "General, we cover that ground now so well that we will comb it as with a fine-tooth comb. A chicken could not live on that field when we open on it."
http://www.civilwarhome.com/longstreetfredericksburg.htm

Its used in part here: http://www.hmdb.org/PhotoFullSize.asp?PhotoID=27193 , but it still would be the most appropriate quote for a statue of Alexander.

On that note, this seems appropriate for Gregg's statue:

"The superior man is the man who fulfils his duty." Eugene Ionesco, Rhinoceros

I'm sure more eloquent lines can be found. But the simplicity fits the man.

I would love to see a statue of Porter Alexander at Gettysburg. And Dick Garnett as well.

I know he technically wasn't a general when he was shot, but he did make the rank of brigadier general posthumously...Strong Vincent. He commanded the 83rd PA on Little Round Top the 2nd day and played a pivotal role in the victory.

I didn't think he had a statue at Gettysburg, so I looked it up. There is a statue of him at Gettysburg, but due to Pennsylvania battlefield commision rules specifically prohibiting a statue of a regiment's commanding officer on top of a monument dedicated to the regiment, the statue isn't labeled as being him and is meant to represent "all men who fought for the 83rd".

http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Individuals/Vincent.php

I just wish he could have one specifically for him.

Since Vincent was commander of the brigade (possibly as a result of being senior colonel when the previous commander resigned), I think holding that rule against him was unfair.

I will heartily second having one for him. His willingness to take the responsibility of moving his brigade to that hill mattered. And he lead it well.

http://www.vincent.goellnitz.org/about.html

I don't know if he did more than the more famous heroes. But he more than earned that deathbed commission.

Speaking of people to add who get overlooked: If there isn't one to Hunt, there should be. Nothing particularly shining in the sense of spectular brilliance...but that's just because he wasn't a "spectular" sort of guy. Best artillerist of the war, in my opinion. And that's with stiff competition from Alexander and a few others.

I just wish he could have one specifically for him.
Well, there is this:

3710760501_c1a0f05668.jpg

Speaking of people to add who get overlooked: If there isn't one to Hunt, there should be. Nothing particularly shining in the sense of spectular brilliance...but that's just because he wasn't a "spectular" sort of guy. Best artillerist of the war, in my opinion. And that's with stiff competition from Alexander and a few others.
You know, I was going to mention him, especially if we have one of Alexander. Like the potential Stuart and Gregg statues. If Hunt was not the best, I have no idea who would be considered to be the best.

Where would a Hunt statue be located? Somewhere on Cemetery Ridge, I guess?

What about Longstreet? He could be pacing, bit**ing and whining, kicking up dirt with his boots.

I earned that after Khale posted that da*n church sign again.

dvrmte

While we're wishing, if there isn't one of John C. Robinson (commander of 2nd Division, 1st Corps), there should be.

It's not one of the most popular... the Longstreet part of it is pretty good, but the horse looks more like a burro to me. And no pedestal. And semi-hidden in the woods. Your concept actually sounds more appealing.

Back