Spencer rifle

brett66

Cadet
I saw a conversation thread on your website about Spencer rifles. I have recently inherited a rifle that my grandfather purchased years ago at an auction in Illinois. I would love to find out anything about its history. I have looked the entire rifle over for any information and took the attached photos. I would greatly appreciate knowing anything you might be able to find out about it.

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Nice Spencer. 34,000 of the 1865 model were produced, serial numbers ran from 1 to 34000. It is not listed in the SRS. It looks as if it has the Stabler cutoff on it right in front of the trigger as the one below. also, are there ant cartouches on the stock?
1567532521333.png

Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Nice Spencer. 34,000 of the 1865 model were produced, serial numbers ran from 1 to 34000. It is not listed in the SRS. It looks as if it has the Stabler cutoff on it right in front of the trigger as the one below. also, are there ant cartouches on the stock?
View attachment 323910
I have looked the stock over pretty well and didn't find anything similar to others that I have seen. I will look again and see if I can find anything.

Welcome and thanks for sharing your Spencer with us! Looking forward to your perspective in our discussions! Enjoy!

The first shipment of Model 1865 Spencer carbines was on April 3, 1865.

That said, Civil War service was extremely unlikely. It could have been issued during the Indian Wars, purchased by Mexican Juaristas (https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/early-mexican-army-rifles-and-cartridges/83769 ), sold as surplus to France (for the Franco-Prussian War) and/or Bannerman's ( who was still selling Spencer carbines for $2@ as of 1942 - see https://www.guns.com/news/2015/11/07/bannermans-legacy-ultimate-army-navy-store ).

Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum and another firearms enthusiast!

Welcome from Tennessee!
I would encourage you to get ahold of Mr. Roy M. Marcot’s excellent book, “Spencer Repeating Firearms”. He has a nice chapter devoted to the M1865 Spencer made by Burnside Firearms.
While it is correct that the Burnside M1865’s were delivered after the war ended and that they were in all probability put into storage, I like to think that there is another possibility. These repeaters were in very much demand by the troops. Many soldiers, especially cavalry, like my g-grandfather did not muster out until well after hostilities ended, October, 1865 for my ancestor. His unit’s latter duties included “keeping martial law” as he put it in. If they had the opportunity to carry a Spencer during those last few months, I’m betting they’d of jumped at it.
Pure conjecture on my part.

Back